Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2017 CBR500r

12K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Bernie500f 
#1 ·
Got my son a new 2017 CBR500r today. Got a call from dealer on Wednesday that it came in so I told him to uncrate it and we would be in Saturday morning.. We picked it up and went for a short ride then home to order parts for it.. We plan on putting a Yoshimura R77 slip on, fender eliminator, flush mount Proton 500 led front blinkers, LED flasher, Ram Mount phone holder, trackside USB outlet..That should work for now! I wanted to show pics but post count is not high enough..

Oh, does anyone know if the flasher is still under the tank on the 2016/2017 models, and are the fairing hard to get off?

#6 ·
I too thought it would be nice to remove the big ears from the front of my 2016 CBR500RA. I really enjoyed the look of the ones used on the K-Speed custom build so I finally found a set and thought I would take the time to install them only to find out that the fairings are painstaking to take off (it took nearly an hour to get one side off) due to the number of fasteners used to attach it. Once I braved the difficulty of one side to take off I discovered that the universal LED turn signals did not include a long enough attached bolt to make it through the outer and inner shell of the fairing (they are pretty thick). So it's not difficult to remove the fairings, just time consuming, so make sure the flush mount signals are long enough to make it through the entire fairing. For now i'm trying to figure out a way to mount mine without chopping up the fairings on a brand new bike.

#7 ·
those big ears come in handy in cold or wet weather, keep your knees warm and dry. They also keep your legs from splaying out on the freeway. I didn't think they would have had any purpose, discovered those suckers come in handy. I also thought about removing those things. Noticed a video someplace (maybe here) with someone who did remove those ears, Lot of electrical stuff must be moved around on the right side. Thought about making some flat sheetmetal covers, gave up on that idea since I discovered they help in the rain and keep my legs from separating on the freeway.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm talking about the front turn signals. I can't see how they block rain nor wind really. Maybe i'm missing something or we are talking about two different things... Does anyone know if they make headers for the 2016-17 models yet? I've seen the IXIL decat pipe but it is listed as 13-15.

#8 ·
I watched a video from TST on how to run the wire without removing the fairings so I'm going to try that first. The flush mount lights are model specific so they should fit and tighten down but I will see this weekend. I also got a wiring harness from custom led for a factory connection so they should be long enough, but again we shall see...I run the same set up on my CB1000r and they installed perfect.

I also watched another video from TST about accessing the flasher relay so we shall see how hard that will be too..

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I got everything installed today and it looks awesome! The flush mount Proton 500 were a PITA to install, but the LED flasher relay was easy and took all of 10 mins to install. The Yoshimura slip on and fender eliminator was easy and did not take much time. Over all was a fun day with my son ridding and doing mods on the bike.. I don't know how many post I have to have too post pics but as soon as I have enough I will post pics.

#17 ·
Well, I got everything installed today and it looks awesome! The flush mounts Proton 500 were a PITA to install, but the LED flasher relay was easy and took all of 10 mins to install. The Yoshimura slip on and fender eliminator was easy and did not take much time. Over all was a fun day with my son ridding and doing mods on the bike.. I don't know how many post I have to have too post pics but as soon as I have enough I will post pics.
Did the flasher relays come with the proton's or what brand did you purchase? Any installation photos?

#28 ·
Hi,

New to the forum, so not sure if this has worked.

Hopefully there is a couple of photos attached of my CBR500R with some of the mods that other people have suggested i.e. rear peg removal with Evotech Performance exhaust hanger kit & OEM rear seat cowl. Also fitted but cannot be seen that easily is the OEM rear hugger.

If interested the the tail tidy is also by Evotech Performance as well.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

#30 ·
Cheers, ordered the Akrapovic a month before I was due to pick the bike up and then had to wait a further month after picking it up due to the amount of back orders for them. Fortunately my dealer received it the day before the 600 mile service, so was fitted at the same time ?
Last bike I had was 15 years ago, so really enjoying getting on 2 wheels again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.