Some Bad News with a good ending - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Some Bad News with a good ending

I was recently involved in an a crash that resulted in my CBR500R being written off and me spending 3 days in hospital. I am 69 years old and have been riding motorcycles since age 16. In that 53 years I have owned 12 different motorcycles and have never had a previous accident.

The accident occurred on a railroad crossing that is somewhat unusual in that the gaps between the steel rails that cross the road at right angles are filled in with large planks of wood that are bolted down. The location is well known to me and I always slow and approach with caution since it is poorly maintained and quite bumpy. My speed of approach was below 80kph and the police officer estimated my speed as 75kph.

There is a rise in the road on the approach that makes the surface of the crossing invisible until quite close. On the 12th September I was riding in full daylight at 1:00pm. I followed my usual procedure of shifting down 2 gears and placing more weight on the footrests to stabilize the bike. When I was close to the crossing at the last moment I recall the crossing looking different from normal but I wasn't able to see that one of the large wooden boards had come loose and had rotated and was sticking up about 6 inches. The next thing I remember was the paramedic asking me questions in the ambulance.

I just had the bad luck to be the first to cross after the board became dislodged. The hazard was serious enough for the police to immediately close the road until a Rail work crew could repair the crossing.

Luckily I was wearing most of my protective gear despite it being a hot day. My armoured mesh jacket was badly damaged and my full face helmet was scraped all over but intact. I had a compound fracture of the collar bone (the end exited on the back of my shoulder), a broken big toe and a few minor scrapes where my gloves had worn through. I was sore for a few days but I am almost back to normal now.

The big lesson for me was that being attentive usually pays off but when your luck and skill run out be sure you are wearing the right gear! Here is a picture of my helmet.

The other good news is that I had made numerous improvements to the bike, (especially the suspension) and I was able to retrieve those parts before the bike departed to the wreckers. So if you are looking for upgrades, check out my next posting. The reason I am not keeping the special equipment is that my next ride will be a Yamaha FJ-09!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 09 12 04 Accident Helmet.jpg (292.7 KB, 83 views)

Current
Honda CBR500RA, Cinelli Pro Estrada, Rocky Mountain Element 30, Honda Accord Sport
Some Previous
Honda CBR250RA, Honda V65 Magna 1100cc, Yamaha 750 Maxim, Lotus Europa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM

Garage
Darn, that helmet indeed saved your face! I'm glad you are ok.

'16 CBR500RA Matte Black
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Glad you recovered well ..... live to ride again.

Best wishes.

Snade

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

car - - - > 2015 BMW 335i

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 AM

Even though it was a hot day, you were smart enough to wear your protective gear that lessened the extend of your injurys. Let that be a lesson for the newbies.

As a wise old rider told me one day when I started riding. "Wear you gear all of the time. Is today the day that I come off my bike"

The main thing is that you are OK and on the mend. The bike whilst you may have had some emotional attachment can be replaced and in your case with something better.

Get well soon.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:12 AM

80 km/h over a railroad crossing ... wellp ... i guess there is a reason why there is a speed limit in europe (or at least where i live) for those ... 50 km/h when the crossing has barriers, 30 km/h when it does not have them

glad to hear you are getting better though
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Ouch! So glad the injuries were not worse. Thanks for sharing and for the reminder that comes with it. Enjoy the FJ!

1984 CB700SC
2012 CBR250R
2013 CBR500R
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
sorry to hear, glad you are okay and happy to ride again

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
80 km/h over a railroad crossing ... wellp ... i guess there is a reason why there is a speed limit in europe (or at least where i live) for those ... 50 km/h when the crossing has barriers, 30 km/h when it does not have them

glad to hear you are getting better though
All depends on the conditions of the crossings. I've seen some real bumpy ones where you have to really slow down, but the one I cross every day on my way to and from work is relatively smooth. I typically go over it at 55-60 mph. When I was commuting on my bike to work, and I wanted to have a bit more fun, I had gone even 75 mph (120 kph) over it like it was nothing. This case sounds like a maintenance issue, and he happened to have the bad luck of being the first one through

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:50 AM

I have never come across a railway crossing in England or Thailand that I would dream of crossing at 80km/hr. 30 mph or 50km/hr max.
Max speed limit on most roads in Thailand is 80 km/hr except motorways where motorcycles are banned (most bikes in Thailand are 100 or 150cc & they make no exceptions for bigger bikes)
Guess roads/crossings in Canada must normally be much better maintained.
That said glad you survived and are on the mend.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:12 AM

Sounds like bad as it was it could have been worse. Glad you're gonna be OK.
At your age it's obvious you keep yourself in good physical condition. Something to look forward to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page