Some Bad News with a good ending - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:28 PM

@sbk1198 yeah of course ... it was a maintenance issue, but i'm just saying, that even though here are most of the crossings in good condition (big rubber plates where you don't even notice you went through something), there is still a limit of 50/30 km/h and the police will have an eye on that speed from time to time ... so you don't really want to speed through there regularly ...

example of a new one that's on most places now:

and an old one:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM

Garage
so glad you are healing! the hassle of gear is worth the pain it saves you from in the event of an off.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM

@_Yamato, where are those pictures taken? Sort of looks like eastern europe.

The one I cross daily doesn't even have a barrier. I think I've only seen a train there one time in the last 5-6 years. Just lights is all they have, and no speed limit change because of the crossing.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM

@sbk1198 the first one is somewhere from the Zilina region in Slovakia (according to the link) and the second one i have no idea ... it's just what google spat out, when i typed "railroad crossing" and "old railroad crossing" in slovak, so central Europe ...

Last edited by _Yamato; 11-14-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: the fork is with those missing letters?!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
@sbk1198 the firs one is somewhere from the Zilina region in Slovakia (according to the link) and the second one i have no idea ... it's just what google spat out, when i typed "railroad crossing" and" old railroad crossing" in slova, so central Europe ...
Oh I thought you took those pictures lol...was wondering why you have random pictures of rail-road crossings laying around

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:38 AM

Garage
It is surreal how life can change in an instant. I couldn't agree more, always wear your gear. I ride with a friend who, in the summer, rides in shorts, sneakers, a muscle shirt and skull cap. I always cringe when I first see him. I did a face plant off a bicycle at 20 kph when I was 15, and had the scars to prove it for the next 20 years.

Glad you're on the mend, and hope you'll be back riding before long.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:06 AM

Garage
Carbonado, thanks for sharing your story with us. Glad you're doing OK. The story should serve as a reminder to all of us to be careful out there !! I always drop my speed way down when crossing tracks - - whether they are familiar or otherwise.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
Glad you are okay!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 PM

The scary thing is that it seems blacking out is a pretty common theme... I know a guy that got in an accident probably 2 or 3 years ago now. A woman pulled out in front of him off of a driveway. He was doing 10 mph under the speed limit, but apparently wasn't able to stop in time. Last time I talked to him he still couldn't remember anything. He remembers seconds before the accident and then waking up in the hospital. His leg is permanently buggered from it. I think he tried riding a few times after, but it's not the same. He doesn't enjoy it anymore.

It sounds like the OP got a better deal so I'm glad to hear that. Railroad tracks are certainly a concern. I know that the ones in Echo Bay, Ontario tend to be very poor. Worse now than when I was growing up. If I forget to slow right down my balls regret it. However, there is a set of tracks that crosses a highway several times up near Searchmont, Ontario and those crossing tend to be better taken care of. I have often crossed them doing 80 km/h or 90 km/h. This OP does give me something to think about though. I normally do slow down a bit for them, but it's probably worth slowing down much more. Fortunately, it's usually a pretty quiet highway so probably won't hold up any cagers if I do.

Is that a Scorpion helmet? I just bought a new Scorpion EXO R2000. Seems to be much higher ratings across the board versus my old Joe Rocket helmet. I'm looking forward to trying it out. My financee just ordered an EXO R410 too. Guess that means I'll have to learn how to drive with a pillion this Spring...

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 AM

I have a friend who rides dirt in California.
He was leading a small group on a ride. He was riding along a straight fire road not going too fast at all.
The road ahead was straight and clear so he snuck a quick glance behind him to make sure the group was together....
What he saw was the whirling blades of the helicopter lifting him off the mountain.

Later he found out that he did indeed get separated from the rest of the group at a fork in the road and they only found him when they investigated the helicopter landing nearby.

He had broken ribs, internal injuries. He always wears full equipment so that probably saved his life.

It's been years and he has never regained his memory as to what happened. He believes somebody hit him maybe coming out of the woods crossing the road at an angle.

He says whoever did it at least hung around long enough to call in an emergency helicopter ambulance and to identify the location.
He's not mad at the guy he just wishes the rider could have told him what happened.

There's something about the brain that can wipe out the memory of horrific events. There's been reports about it.

He doesn't ride anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page