CBR500R Primmed ver.2 - mod to the max - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
That wet track looks hairy.
Good on you for enjoying your bike to the max. Keep at it.
Not wet, was a perfectly clear night; that sheen is from a well prepped track, sooo sticky you had to make sure to tippy-toe because flat footing you'd stick to the track.

Looking forward to end-Oct/start-Sep to do one of those advanced rider road&track training courses too, so will get some track work clips hopefully as well.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
Not wet, was a perfectly clear night; that sheen is from a well prepped track, sooo sticky you had to make sure to tippy-toe because flat footing you'd stick to the track.

Looking forward to end-Oct/start-Sep to do one of those advanced rider road&track training courses too, so will get some track work clips hopefully as well.
Awesome man! I'm envious of the track time! I'm hoping to get a little time to start the porting and polishing on the throttle bodies and head soon. I had already opened up the funnel, but reading your post, I think I'm going to go with something closer to what you have....

I'm also looking into a bigger displacement down the road too.....you know.....if the rings need to be replaced or anything ;-)
40130M06750 Product Detail Information - Wiseco Piston Inc.
I think someone else posted this before though.....

This and a turbo should round it all out nicely.

Anyone asking why I would spend that much on my bike and not buy another. Insurance costs.... Anything bigger and my insurance would go up by $1000 a year. I want a little more fun on my bike, but don't want to spend a ton in insurance and gas.
tothezenith likes this.

Dave

The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Add this to your signature to show your love for black bikes
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joram144 View Post
Awesome man! I'm envious of the track time! I'm hoping to get a little time to start the porting and polishing on the throttle bodies and head soon. I had already opened up the funnel, but reading your post, I think I'm going to go with something closer to what you have....

I'm also looking into a bigger displacement down the road too.....you know.....if the rings need to be replaced or anything ;-)

Anyone asking why I would spend that much on my bike and not buy another. Insurance costs.... Anything bigger and my insurance would go up by $1000 a year. I want a little more fun on my bike, but don't want to spend a ton in insurance and gas.
It's also a hobby. You and TTZ know full right you could buy a beater which would blow this bike away for far less than you've invested in it but it's fun and interesting to improve something when no improvements were thought possible...
To go where no man has gone before (to quote Captain Kirk).
tothezenith likes this.

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I've mentioned once before, when you have firts matched turbo and the wiseco piston in the same post, but it is important. The high compression piston you have linked is a big NO-NO with a turbo setup! For turboing you have to lower the static compression to about 8.5 or 9 not to increase it.

This setup would blow on the first run when the turbo starts to spool.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I'm surprised your insurance would still cover a turbo mod!
I'm with Oyabun on the compression though, for longevity probably don't want to be upping it when going forced induction.

What makes
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 PM

BTW. I found confirmation, that the stock Honda CB400R pistons are giving 0.3 extra CR and up to .05mm overbore to the 500 - for most probably a lot less money than the wiseco.
Would nkt touch the cylinders though as long as it is not really needed.
Joram144 likes this.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Are these cylinders nikosil plated or steel lined?
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
BTW. I found confirmation, that the stock Honda CB400R pistons are giving 0.3 extra CR and up to .05mm overbore to the 500...
well that's interesting!
As I approach the 30K mark on this bike, I'm start to think I need to look where I want to be in the future. I've put sooo much time and money into this little thing I don't think I could stand to let it go. Eventually I want to get a bigger bike, but that'll be something for taking offroad on camping adventures. I reckon I'll hold onto this thing for the long run and it's so good on fuel and still heaps of fun to throw around. Looking at 2nd hand engines, can get some very low km complete engine & box for $1000-2000. I'm thinking later next year when I move out to a place with a bigger garage I could work on that spare engine, those pistons you mention sound like a good option, and was going to port & polish the heads while I'm at it. Then when the current engine starts feeling tired, I'll have an engine ready to go that has a bottom end to match the other things I've done to improve flow
Joram144 likes this.

What makes
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Just did some number crunching on your data provided with the dyno runs.
I calculated the difference between the baseline and new power available at certain RPMs in percentage of the stock or baseline performance.
It is _very_ impressive. you start off from 21% - reaching almost 30%@5500 so got a really nice boost at midrange or crusising speed. Then tapering down a bit reaching a local minimum @7500 with 26% gain and then raising again over 35% at cutoff. Nothingvrobbe shy of.
Really interested if the Velocity stacks are giving anything to this - but very impressive already. Congrats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tothezenith_RR_dyno.jpg (56.3 KB, 16 views)
tothezenith likes this.

Last edited by Oyabun; 07-25-2016 at 02:42 AM.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
that's a good way of looking at it, very healthy gains
My mate said he's got a package delivered to his work today; either going to be the Quickshifter or those V-stacks, either way I'll be smiling this arvo

*edit - even better, it was both
Joram144 likes this.

What makes

Last edited by tothezenith; 07-25-2016 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page