Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

What are aussies paying ride-away?

60K views 198 replies 74 participants last post by  bwhittaker 
#1 ·
As it states, what are aussies paying ride-away? I have been quoted by two dealers $8400 ride-away cbr500ra, and $8200 for the cb500f.

Im in QLD I understand it might vary a little state to state.

Cheers
Phill

#2 ·
I paid $8500 ride away cbr500ra in Sydney, was told no dealer is discounting even when paying cash.

#5 ·
$8400.00 CBR500ra (ABS) in Toowoomba Honda.

I don't think you're going to get it any cheaper until there is a flood of them in Australia. New stock and a desired product means you can keep it at premium pricing because the punters (thats us) will pay it.

Its a good competitive price verses the Ninja 650R with ABS thats kicking around $10,000. I wasn't going to pay anymore then 8K for a new LAMS approved bike (I'll find the extra 400) because I'm only going to have it for a year or 2.

#6 ·
Yeah I am Toowoomba too. Looks like the price is set just have to pay it. Colour is now the next hardest thing to decide on.

There certainly seems to be plenty of interest in Australia in these bikes, certainly seem better than some of the others out there. I agree with not paying for ninja 650rl or even the gsx650f from suzuki or fz6r. My thought process on these is that even though they are 650's being restricted they are still going to have very similar performance to the honda anyway, and with the probability of being heavier (altho I have not actually compared) your nearly in the same ball park at 2-4k cheaper. The only other one i was considering is the GS500F from suzuki but this is $6800 with no efi and no abs. Old but proven technology vs new tech but not yet proven.

Ahh too many decisions...

#21 · (Edited)
One more variable is the soon to be released ktm duke 390! That promises to be one heaven (h e l l is censored, hardly seems fair ;) ) of a great ride with 43hp and 130kg (50kg lighter than the CB500's!). For me though the major killer is the tank size (11L), plus the fact that it's a single (great torque delivery) but with very high compression. It will probably be fine, but the longevity of the engine is a little bit of a worry for me... decisions decisions...

#7 ·
In SA, the F is $7290 non-ABS. The R is $7490 non-ABS. Both are $500 extra with ABS. All prices are ride way, no more to pay.

IMHO, if you pay over $7800 for the R-ABS, then you aren't even trying (in SA). If they are all wanting the same $, then to get your money then they *have* to do something: drop the price $100-$200 or at least offer an equivalent in store voucher.

Dave

#8 · (Edited)
Looks like the eastern states are getting screwed??? Considering that the "Honda" rrp prices I saw on Carsales.com.au a month ago were $6990 for the R non-ABS??? SA seems totally in line with that ($6990 + $500 ride away costs = $7490)???

#10 · (Edited)
I've done a bit of research of the CBR500R vs the Ninja 650R. This is what I found based on info that was available about a month ago. Some fields are left blank. Take it with a grain of salt. eg: top speed of the cbr500r has been quoted now as 180kph.

I'm keen on the HRC red/white/blue. Just waiting on an ABS version before posting my 'I've got a new bike' thread. Its a killer wait though.

#11 · (Edited)
I've done a bit of research of the CBR500R vs the Ninja 650R. This is what I found based on info that was available about a month ago. Some fields are left blank. Take it with a grain of salt. eg: top speed of the cbr500r has been quoted now as 180kph.

Is that ninja restricted to 35kw? Surely the standard one has more power than that.
Big fat bike like the 650 with 35kw is a big no no and an extra $2000 to boot

edit - sorry just noticed it says unrestricted the 650 puts out more

#12 · (Edited)
LAMS bikes are snipped. Its all about power to weight and even though she's a 650, it's still pumping out the exact same HP as our little 500R Honda. Where the Ninja gets us is in torque. It would be faster off the line, but in the end we are 17 kgs lighter and with the same Hp.

Save the 2 grand now and use it when you are upgrading to a supersport. Thats the difference between a Yamaha R6 and an MV Agusta F3 (one of the most sexyist middle weight bikes ever made)

phillbert3, we should catch up when we get these bikes and go for a ride.

#13 · (Edited)
I think the EU must have copied this idea from the aussies of 35kw with a weight requirement of no more than 0.2kw per kg

I don't like the look of the 650, I think even if it was the same price I'd still go for the cbr 500, the fact that it is more expensive just makes that decision easier.

#14 ·
The N650 is very very upright sitting position with far more bent knees as well. Also, the stopping distance form 100kph is longer then the NC700 which has the same rubber and brakes as the 500's.

Un restricting the N650 is very difficult, yet it costs the same as the unrestricted version.

Dave

#17 ·
I'm an older guy (32). I have my Opens car license, so I recently went for my bike license (Q Ride course) and I'm now on a Provisional Restricted License (RE) for my bike for 12 months. That time frame varies on age. After the 12 months I then go and do another riding test and I am then given my Open Unrestricted Motorcycle License (R)

The bikes we can ride while on the RE are specified by a Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) which is measured by power to weight. rather then a particular cc class. For example: An Aprillia 250R has an amazing power to weight ratio compared to a Yamaha Virago 250 cruiser. So the powers that be decided on power to weight (I've forgotten the figure right now?)

There are larger bikes that have been 'restricted' by ECU and throttle restrictors like the Ninja 650R and the Suzuki Gladius. The CBR500R doesn't seem to have these, and is natively stock at 35kw? (I could be wrong here) Makes a resale easier as the punter knows I haven't tinkered with it.

#16 ·
This is a letter I wrote my to my good friend (who owns a 650R) and he was trying to convince me to go for the Kawasaki.

"Everyone talks to me about unrestricting the LAMS Ninja and ride off into the sunset faster and smiling. When the cops pull you over they aren't going to looking for a throttle restrictor and ECU plug and 99% of the time they'll never ping you for it and are none the wiser.

But if you bin it, you are truly f&#%*d. Unrestricting your bike while under LAMS will void registration & insurance, and any accident you are in with your illegally unrestricted bike, done by any half competent assessor who are now being trained on what to look for with LAM bikes = you're totally f&#%*d. No insurance, no medical, and if you can't turn up for work because you're kind of f&#%*d up from falling off a motorbike at speed = no rent.

If you do the right thing and ride out the 12 months and then take it to a mechanic when you are on your Opens. He'll give you the proper unrestricted paperwork for your bike, I heard that you'll be roughly 700 bucks out of pocket, (disclaimer: I have no idea why that figure is so high. Some guy on the internet told me, and now I'm some guy on the internet telling you, so go do your own research) . But then you're covered by insurance. You get a 18kw increase, which means an extra 24 horses. Not bad of an upgrade for 700 bucks. And you can keep riding that bike for a few more years if you were not going to upgrade.

But what if you were going to upgrade? Who is going to buy an unrestricted Ninja 650R? No learner rider with a brain will touch it for the insurance / illegal reasons I just mentioned. And any rider on their Opens won't be after a 211kg bike running 71bhp, when a 2010 190kg Yamaha R6 with a break hp of 105 would smoke that thing".

Anyway, my 2 cents.

#18 ·
Essentially any bike under 650cc with a power to weight ratio of less than 150kw/tonne based on wet weight of bike + 90kg rider weight. Bikes need to be on the official lams list to qualify. No age restrictions per se other than normal licence. The lams bike is your first learners bike. You must stay on lams for one year.

#20 ·
It varies slightly from state to state, but typically you can get your licence at 17 (scooter licence at 16 in some states). On your first licence irrespective if car or bike, once you pass your practical test (or do a short course depending on state) you need to stay on your P's (provisional/lams) for 2 years. If you're simply upgrading your car licence to a bike licence, and you've already done your P's tour of duty, then you only need to have your lams for a year.

The bike licence is two stage. Initially 'R-E' (provisional/restricted to lams), then 'R' (fully open) with a practical driving assessment for each one.

With all that being said, each state has its variations. :eek:
*phew*

...clear?

#22 ·
i paid $8100 CBR500RA on road, mates rates lol.
plus remeber everyone those rrp prices dont include rego most of the time so add about $800 to rrp and your close to the mark.

#24 ·
(apologies in advance for getting my salesman on!)

But anyone that is chasing a better deal on the 500's can get in contact with me here, or PM for my mobile. I have sold a bikes too a few guys on here and can ship to those in other states who are having trouble negotiating a better price ;)

Harley

#30 ·
Does the F really cost more than the R in Australia?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.