Freezing hands! - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Freezing hands!

Hi,
I know there is plenty of of discussion about this already, but I would like any definitive answers to my hand problems. I have recently bought a new CB500X, with Honda heated grips. I have severe Hand Arm Vibration syndrome, so grips alone don't quite do it; on my last bike I used Tucano Urban muffs, and found I could ridd no matter how cold with only summer gloves. Unfortunately the Honda has non-fixed bar ends, which means that the muffs are forced down at speed and interfere with brake and clutch levers - obviously no good.
My only two possible solutions are a) Gerbing heated gloves, which might work but may be too much of a power drain with the grips as well or b) Givi handlebar guards, which look quite big and wraparound. I am thinking that they might keep enough of the wind chill off to provide the ideal solution. One of these fixes is £150, and one is £80, but warm hands is the goal.
I would really appreciate the thoughts of anyone with experience of these solutions, I wish I could tough it out but the state of my hands just won,t let me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:04 AM

Garage
I think the Givi guards look well integrated and they'd be my first choice, with the grips you already have. After that, maybe the gloves, but I'm sure there are better performing ones without going electric.

Nothing worse than cold hands. You have my sympathy.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:06 PM

I have the givi hand guards on my cb500f, cost me £80 and I don't think they are worth it. Look good but non functional for me although I don't do motorway commutes.
I got the gerbing heated 12v xr12gloves but sent them back. Very thick. And very long, hard to connect to bike and wires to each glove when you have them on.... Also a pain trying to sort padlocks out etc with them on....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by stevengeorgeboot; 12-11-2016 at 02:12 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 PM

I then bought some keis heated inners to wear with my normal winter gloves and I'm happy. Only wear them when it's below 4oC and can put them on, connect gloves up to wire inside jacket all indoors, unlock bike and then connect up to bike. Can then put helmet on and winter gloves with toasty hands as bike is warming up. These plus winter are quite bulky and I lose a lot of dexterity but probably the same as the xr12s.
You can get them for about £60 and would probably be warm enough with them and a non vented summer glove.... Unless you are somewhere like canada (I'm UK and suffer really badly with cold)
Just my 5 cents 😉

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Maybe it's my Canadian blood, or maybe it just works, but my setup is Barkbuster Storm shields for the wind, and then Oxford heated grips. I am usually OK for 30-40 minute commutes with summer leather gloves down to about freezing temperatures. Anything colder or longer and I would want to use my insulated/waterproof gloves. If I was doing long cruises at sub-zero temperatures, then I would look at adding some pogies like your Urban Muffs.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Here's my hand guards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.jpg (187.4 KB, 51 views)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Being a cheapskate will probably go for some guards to start with as I am very non techy anyway! Will post a picture when fitted. Don't like the idea of lengthy faffing with wires. It's my first time at posting a question so it's great to have lots of suggestions! Thanks!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM

If you get the wind off your hands it make a big difference. Then some good gloves. Don't skimp on the gloves.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 AM

Make sure the gloves are not too tight. Air space is the best insulator. You don't want your finger tips hitting the ends of the gloves. You have to test for this when your hands are on the bars. I also made some "guards" out of 4 litre cider jugs which fit over my OEM Honda guards. Hands are right out of the wind.
Phil A likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM

Also.....you don't want gloves that make your hands sweat during the beginning of the ride. I've got some very heavy duty gloves, the issue with the gloves, they make my hands sweat at the beginning of the ride and then my hands get cold. So you need gloves that breath. Sometimes the insulation material can cause more harm then good.

I've got another pair of gloves that are deer skin, and then the inside of the liner is a thin wool. My hands don't get cold with those gloves unless I get down into the 40's.

That thing about the tight gloves also something to consider.

I think some good deer skin gloves with wind protection the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page