Honda CB500 Maintenance - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Honda CB500 Maintenance

Hello people.

I wanted to inquire a bit more into your Honda CB5OO X,F,R Maintenance.

My Bike is nearly 9000km, and as per the dealer (Honda) here in my country, Oil changes are every 2500km, I've done it that way since I bought the bike brand new, though since the 6500km oil change, I used a Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Oil 10W40, apparently it is way better than the standard used at the dealer's.

Anyways, also, when would be a good estimate on changing the Air Filter, I want to change the OEM for the K&N Air Filter, though, from you guys experience, when would it be appropiate to do it?

And, also, chain lubricants you use for your CB500, and chain adjustments periods, say for example, every 10,000 km.

Thanks for your input into this forum thread and happy riding-

Aarondvargas - Honda CB500XA 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM

Garage
Only up to 3000 miles on my 500F.

Oil + Filter changes at 3000 miles.... if synthetic oil, 5000 miles (next time)

Chain oiling at 500 miles using DuPont Teflon Chain Saver, 11 oz $6.96 at WalMart.
Clean chain with degreaser at 3000 miles.

Chain adjust.... that depends upon your riding, but about 5000 miles after initial setup.

Air filter, again, if you ride on dusty roads, it is more often that paved road riding.
For paved roads, about 10,000 miles.

I see no advantage to the K&N filters. Honda should know what works best for this bike.
K&N just wants to sell you stuff.

Have a good riding season,
Justinr likes this.

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:18 AM

Garage
Most of your maintenance questions are answered in that owners manual that comes with the bike, if this has been misplaced you can find it here:
http://s.productreview.com.au/produc...ada073ff2a.pdf

That dealer is taking you for a ride if they are telling you oil changes every 2500km!
The maintenance schedule stated in the manual clearly states every 12,000km; even if like most, you half that and change it at half intervals of 6,000km you'd be on check. But 2,500km that's just excessive mate.

I lube the chain after every 2nd fuel fill, so 600-800kms
What lube... just don't buy cheap stuff; opinions on what's best will be longer than your intestines and just as hard to sift through the sh!t.

Check chain slack when I'm lubing it, so touch it up as needed... anywhere between 5,000-10,000km, it really depends how hard you ride and accelerate.

You can change your air filter anytime, just note the mileage so you know when to service it. On such low powered bikes the "performance" gain is negligible. Realistically any benefit you get would only be for long term owners of the bike where the cost of reoiling the filter works out cheaper than buying X number of oem filters of the same period.
Thump likes this.

What makes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondvargas View Post
Hello people.

I wanted to inquire a bit more into your Honda CB5OO X,F,R Maintenance.

My Bike is nearly 9000km, and as per the dealer (Honda) here in my country, Oil changes are every 2500km, I've done it that way since I bought the bike brand new, though since the 6500km oil change, I used a Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Oil 10W40, apparently it is way better than the standard used at the dealer's.

Anyways, also, when would be a good estimate on changing the Air Filter, I want to change the OEM for the K&N Air Filter, though, from you guys experience, when would it be appropiate to do it?

And, also, chain lubricants you use for your CB500, and chain adjustments periods, say for example, every 10,000 km.

Thanks for your input into this forum thread and happy riding-
The dealer told you that because he wants to make some money on labor.
Read the manual, oil changes are every 12,000 km (!), personally I change it every 6,000 km. Air filter change and so on is all described in your manual!
And if Honda says 10W30 I wouldn't use 10W40 - I am not smarter than the Honda technicians who developed the engine!
lrppcer likes this.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothezenith View Post
Most of your maintenance questions are answered in that owners manual that comes with the bike, if this has been misplaced you can find it here:
http://s.productreview.com.au/produc...ada073ff2a.pdf

That dealer is taking you for a ride if they are telling you oil changes every 2500km!
The maintenance schedule stated in the manual clearly states every 12,000km; even if like most, you half that and change it at half intervals of 6,000km you'd be on check. But 2,500km that's just excessive mate.

I lube the chain after every 2nd fuel fill, so 600-800kms
What lube... just don't buy cheap stuff; opinions on what's best will be longer than your intestines and just as hard to sift through the sh!t.

Check chain slack when I'm lubing it, so touch it up as needed... anywhere between 5,000-10,000km, it really depends how hard you ride and accelerate.

You can change your air filter anytime, just note the mileage so you know when to service it. On such low powered bikes the "performance" gain is negligible. Realistically any benefit you get would only be for long term owners of the bike where the cost of reoiling the filter works out cheaper than buying X number of oem filters of the same period.
Yeah, thanks for the input. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he said if I used fully synthetic oil, it should be fine to change it after 5000km, not 2500km as they said at the beginning, guessing he was against the wall when I realized that the manual said 12000 km. I am using fully synthetic oil since the 6500km maintenance, Bell Ray Synthtic Ester Blend 10W-40 4T Engine Oil.

I am very thorough with my bike's maintenance and keep it clean enough, lubing its chain and having the tires with the right pressure.

Preventing is the best . !

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 01:53 PM

If you want a quick access to your service requirements there's a google doc link in my signature that I created. You can access this on your phone anywhere so if you need to take a peek, it's easy to access.

If you convert the miles to kilometers I'll add them into the document.

Rider of a 2014 CBR500R since 6 May 2015

ATGATT Rider
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM

Synthetic oil is much better that regular oil in most respects.
However, it still gets just a dirty as conventional oil.
Which mean the filter becomes more important when you extend the oil service intervals.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieGravy View Post
If you want a quick access to your service requirements there's a google doc link in my signature that I created. You can access this on your phone anywhere so if you need to take a peek, it's easy to access.

If you convert the miles to kilometers I'll add them into the document.
Hi, thanks for the google sheet document link, very informative and Helpful-

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Garage
Costa Rico is fairly humid, so chain maintenance could be done more frequently.

Do you have a paddock stand, or does the bike have a center stand? These make chain maintenance much easier.

I tend to be excessive in the preventive maintenance, but I adjusted my chain at 40 miles when I got the bike home from the stealership (a tad tight and rear wheel ever so slightly crooked) and haven't needed to adjust it since. I lube the chain with ATF every 100-150 miles for around town riding, and every 200 miles or so when touring, keeping a couple of zip lock bags with a nitrile glove in one and a sock top saturated with ATF in another along with a small bottle of ATF in the tank bag for touring. I did 3200 miles in 8 days on scenic roads returning to Montana for a 40th reunion of my old elk-hunting group, last summer, lubing mid-day and at night. I'm sure that this is not for everyone, but, it works for me.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Costa Rico is fairly humid, so chain maintenance could be done more frequently.

Do you have a paddock stand, or does the bike have a center stand? These make chain maintenance much easier.

I tend to be excessive in the preventive maintenance, but I adjusted my chain at 40 miles when I got the bike home from the stealership (a tad tight and rear wheel ever so slightly crooked) and haven't needed to adjust it since. I lube the chain with ATF every 100-150 miles for around town riding, and every 200 miles or so when touring, keeping a couple of zip lock bags with a nitrile glove in one and a sock top saturated with ATF in another along with a small bottle of ATF in the tank bag for touring. I did 3200 miles in 8 days on scenic roads returning to Montana for a 40th reunion of my old elk-hunting group, last summer, lubing mid-day and at night. I'm sure that this is not for everyone, but, it works for me.
Hi, yes, Costa Rica is quite humid, and weather conditions may vary very quickly. Right now we are at summer, though there is light rain at some parts of the country, I live at the mountain, so most likely there is going to be rainy conditions.

I do my chain maintenance almost every week after I clean my bike, what I use is a Jack Stand, non Hydraulic, and position it at the exhaust pipe, that way I keep the rear tire free to make any kind of maintenance.

I put around 500km weekly strictly riding from my house to the office, of course more if I go touring every now and then.

I like to keep my bike clean and well taken care of. haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack stand.jpg (35.4 KB, 11 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page