Honda CB500 Maintenance - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Garage
The Beginners Guide To Oil | How It Works | Motorcycle Cruiser.
I have been using Rotella T-6 5w40 Jaso Ma approved for years in many different water boxes. I bet the new Africa twin crossing the Sahara is not using a 10w30.
I am not an advocate of Rotella, but I can use the same oil in my tractor, mowers, trucks and 4 motorcycles, without having to stock 10 different oils and it readily available @ Wallyworld.

Last edited by astavakra; 02-29-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I don't overkill on maintenance and have never had a problem (Talking from 60K to 87K on bikes).

Oil - Use Valvoline MC oil from WALMART at $3.98 a quart and Fram Oil Filters from Walmart (every 3000 or 4000 miles, sometiems 5000).

Air Filters - Once in a while (Maybe every 25000 miles or 40000 miles).

Radiator Fluid -- Every 3 or 4 years.

Brake Fluid -- Every three or so years.

Chain - Have used Dupont Teflon from Walmart (bad thing is chain shows rust). Been using Champion from Walmart (like it OK). Wipe chain off and lube every 800 to 1000 miles and adjust when needed. Never have used any cleaner on chain, just wipe it off. Sometimes if very dirty (ride gravel some), wipe it off, spray a little lube and wipe off again, then lube good.

Valve adjustments has varied.
First Bike Honda (VLX 600) 71000 miles Let dealer do it regularly (waste of money).
Second Bike (KAWA 800) 87000 miles Let dealer do it as had a service contract, then went 40K miles after service contract without adjusting.
Third bike (Burgman 650 Scooter) 73.800 miles Never changed spark plugs or adjusted valves. CVT (Transmission) went out and I ended up selling it broke down. Engine still ran great.
Fourth Bike (NINJA 500) 60000 miles I did a valve adjustment myself at 50000 miles and it was needing it (Exhaust was very tight. Intakes OK, but I made an adjustment).
Fifth Bike (Burgman 400 Scooter) - 40000 Miles and have not adjusted or changed spark plugs.
Sixth Bike (CB500X) 23000 miles and never adjusted valves or changed plugs.
^Now this is a rider. Look at that history.

2014 CBR500RA - Danmoto Carbon GP, T-Rex Frame Sliders
Suomy Apex 60's Legend
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0
Rev'It Cyclone H20 Rain Jacket (Neon Yellow)
Alpinestars Octane-S Moto Gloves
Drift Ghost
SJ4000
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astavakra View Post
I have been using Rotella T-6 5w40 Jaso Ma approved for years in many different water boxes. I bet the new Africa twin crossing the Sahara is not using a 10w30.
I am not an advocate of Rotella, but I can use the same oil in my tractor, mowers, trucks and 4 motorcycles, without having to stock 10 different oils and it readily available @ Wallyworld.
+1 On Rotella T6.

2014 CBR500RA - Danmoto Carbon GP, T-Rex Frame Sliders
Suomy Apex 60's Legend
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0
Rev'It Cyclone H20 Rain Jacket (Neon Yellow)
Alpinestars Octane-S Moto Gloves
Drift Ghost
SJ4000

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
That was a good article, but I don't see how you got that it was okay to use something other than the manufacturer's recommendation out of it.

Times, they are a changin'. Modern engineering and manufacturing to tighter tolerances call for different lubrication recommendations from the manufacturers than the "old standards". There is a little too much "that'll do" attitude around these days for my liking. There is a big difference between an older air cooled engine design and newer water cooled motors.

Really? The 40 wt. properties will act exactly the same at operating temperatures as the 30 wt. in that brand new machine? Hmm, what about the 10W-50? At what point does it start to matter?? Yeah, that thicker oil might make it seem to "shift smoother" and you may not "notice any damage"...yet. Engine damage usually compounds and is seen later on. Feel good about that "thicker" oil lubricating all of the nooks and crannies properly, well it's your bike I guess. I think I'll stick with what the engine was designed for.

Look, the best thing that you can do is use an SAE 10W-30 motorcycle oil meeting JASO T 903 standard MA, conventional or synthetic, and change it at or before the recommended service intervals. I think that it's better for your engine to change the oil more often, than to try to find the "magic oil" to put in it.

Check out this video where ericthecarguy speaks with representatives at Valvoline. The whole thing is a good watch, but @ 6:12-12:16 they speak to this issue of viscosity. Or, if you are super short on time, start at 10:20.

https://youtu.be/FXqkOZAkXZw
carbonado likes this.

2013 CB500F
Honda rear hugger
Puig 6437 screen in black
under cowl for the 500X
the2wheels adjustable levers
powdercoated black exhaust cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
BikeMaster kite bar end mirrors on custom stems
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

"Everybody dies, but not everyone...lives."
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
... I bet the new Africa twin crossing the Sahara is not using a 10w30.
Yes, new Africa Twin manual also recommends 10W-30, just like our twins.

2013 CB500F
Honda rear hugger
under cowl for the 500X

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Black Bike Clan

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 AM

Garage
Irppcer. Present me with one documented (by a qualified mechanical engineer) engine failure or an engine prematurely wearing out because someone used a 5w40 instead of a 10w30 oil, on any engine.
The reality is these 500 engines will last anyway, with basic maintenance and normal riding, 80-100k miles, everything else will fall apart first.
Yes, I will continue to use 5w40 T6 in my X and F. If I lived in Texas again and my cooling fan was staying on all the time I would use a 10w50 or a 20w50.
If you are happy using 10w30 please continue.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM

watch the world best ever motorcycle on YouTube: the Honda Cub.
the engine oil was replaced with domestic cooking oil with no SAE rating whatsoever.
if you're in Thailand you can even pour in snake oil.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Irppcer. Present me with one documented (by a qualified mechanical engineer) engine failure or an engine prematurely wearing out because someone used a 5w40 instead of a 10w30 oil, on any engine.
The reality is these 500 engines will last anyway, with basic maintenance and normal riding, 80-100k miles, everything else will fall apart first.
Yes, I will continue to use 5w40 T6 in my X and F. If I lived in Texas again and my cooling fan was staying on all the time I would use a 10w50 or a 20w50.
If you are happy using 10w30 please continue.
It was not my intent to get into a pissing match with you personally about the issue, so, no I will not be jumping through any of your hoops. Many riders coming here are new or getting back into riding and are just looking for good information. All I am doing is presenting what two representatives from a major oil company say, which is to use what the manufacturer recommends. You linked to a good article on oil...that says the same thing. The Honda manual clearly shows 10W-30. If they wanted to recommend a different viscosity for different climates or ambient air temperatures they certainly could have put that in there like it is for many other bikes and vehicles, but...they didn't. It only lists 10W-30.

You, of course, are free to put whatever you want into the equipment YOU own. So is everyone else. No argument there. I do find it a little irresponsible and confusing to recommend to others something different than what the manufacturer recommends and what the article you linked to says.

I recommend to those with new bikes, especially those under warranty, use what the manufacturer recommends in the manual. Bottom line.

2013 CB500F
Honda rear hugger
under cowl for the 500X

The Black Bike Clan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page