Ordered Lowering kit for 2104 CB500X - Comments Apreciated - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Ordered Lowering kit for 2104 CB500X - Comments Apreciated

Ordered 1 1/4 inch Lowering Kit (rear) last evening. $50 + $12.40 shipping.

Install does not look too bad. I get impression if you have bike on center stand, you can just remove the bolts. Don't need to use the jack.

Anybody ever done one????? Comments appreciated.

https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Hon...structions.pdf

I did not order the $25 kickstand shortening kit - either live with it as is or cut it and get a welder to weld end back on. Cheap welder like friends TerrE or Gary. :-)

I think I can still use center stand which I use mostly at home anyway. I tested by putting a 2 x 6 (which are only 1 1/4 inch thick) under the stand and was able to raise it up (not as easy, but got it).

Also, tested the side stand by putting (2 by 6 ---- 1 1/4 thick) under it. A bit upright, will have to definitely watch to have a LEVEL Ground or a SLOPE Off to the LEFT Ground Side of the bike for the side stand.

Or worst case cut it and weld end foot back on.

I am not sure I will drop the triple tree - see how it feels after installing the rear lowering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:40 PM

If you don't drop the tree then you'll get a steeper rake, which usually results in more straight line stability at the expense of ease of cornering. But you can try it out and it's easily changed if you don't like the handling. Of course, if you do drop the tree you will also get your feet flatter on the ground. This will also exacerbate your stand issues. But give it a try.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM

Lowering the rear by 1 1/4 will make the rear wheel much higher on the center stand. Will be harder to get the bike upon the stand, just have to see how it works out..

I lowered another bike by 1" front & rear. Had to install firm fork springs and set the rear mono shock at maximum preload to reduce dragging pegs in curves when the suspension compressed. Also need to be careful on speed bumps.

Ended up removing the centerstand after seeing photos while riding the Dragon, the centerstand was close to touching down. Touching down with bike hard parts like centerstand can put a rider on the ground. Started using front & rear paddock stands for maintenance & cleaning this bike.

Had to remove 3/4" section out of the side stand & re-weld to make the bike sit properly on the stand.

Like C-rider said, lowering only the rear increases stability and rake. Lowering only the front reduces rake & high speed stability, check out "motorcycle tank slapper" on youtube. If the front & rear are lowered about the same distance, rake & trail should be closer to original rake & trail, that's only my logic.

Bill

CB500X

Last edited by rideandfly; 01-28-2016 at 12:14 AM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

C-Rider and rideand fly --- Thanks !! And I agree.

Became aware of those technical issue (stability and steering response). Good to have your inputs as reinforcement on that. My guess is Negligible Effect on handling for my rides as I am not looking for Race performance a nd don't ride that hard. Don't think an inch or so will make a lot of difference. We shall see.

Whether it will be as I tested using 1 1/4 inch board: First under the center stand when I was still able to pull it up on C S. Then, using 1 1/4 inch under side stand which produced marginal stability on flat ground (may need to shorten the S S or be very careful where I park it).

I do have an over-sized tire on rear now - dang I forget, 150 x70 I think. So, bike is a bit higher in rear. It had a 170 x 60 when I bought it used. Only CMs difference from a 160 x 60 (not inches - I realize)

I don't see anyway, that I would drag Center Stand on curves before the pegs or my foot (have drug foot). I ride and am in East TN curvy Mtn Roads including many roads like the Dragon. However, I don't race around at 50 or 60 degree lean angles, maybe 40 or 45 maximum.

My off roads is basically decent gravel roads not rough trails more jumping logs or rocks. The worse I get is loose gravel, washboard, chug holes, and an occasional small log that either stop and move, go around, or over it. Not likely to bottom. I ride my scooter on some of those roads (do bottom it sometimes).

Main thing I am concerned of on installing is situation using C S to install. I have been told by a guy I consider very knowledgeable that will work as only weight on the bolts will be the wheel and swing arm when bike is on center stand. Probably ca n control tension on the bolts using a board under rear wheel when on C S by raising or lowering the board.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:26 PM

"If" I remember correctly, used a small board under the rear wheel to adjust wheel & link hole alignment up & down during installation on the Vstrom while the bike was on the center stand. Also installed lowering links on a CRF230L with out any problems, used an ATV jack under the engine to support & steady the CRF during installation. You only have to deal with the wheel assembly & swing arm weights that are not bad to deal with.

Bill

CB500X
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information.

That and discussions with other rider friends has provided me with a lot of confidence. I THINK a Piece of Cake. Gonna Try It. :-) Waiting on the kit, it is coming from CA.

I will picture my effort when I do.

PS: Feeling better but still recovering from a bout of Bronchitis. I did get out today (about 50 miles) for a ride (40 on the Suzuki Burgman 400 and a quick 10 on the CB500X). It ended a 10 day withdrawal and expecting upper 50s and low 60s maybe SAT and SUN in East TN. Gonna Ride. :-)

SO, the 2 wheelers know I am around. :-)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 PM

I'm wondering why you chose the tallest 500 and then try to lower it.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, MSX125, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
I'm wondering why you chose the tallest 500 and then try to lower it.

Maybe becuase it's the 500 he wanted? Just a guess.

2014 CBR650F in Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Maybe becuase it's the 500 he wanted? Just a guess.
No offense intended -- question caught me as kind of funny.

Good guess Karl.

Expand on that a bit: I wanted a bit of an off road (adventure), but not extreme like V-Strom or KLR (seem taller yet). I just ride some gravel forest roads and not difficult trails, some roads do get a bit rough.

All those bikes are a bit tall for me (27 or 28 inch seam).

Had a couple cruisers which really fit me better (seat height), but I find a boring ride now (sort of Been There Done That).

Had a couple Scooters (Burgman 650 and a 400 - still have the 400). They are my favorite rides. I used and use them on gravel roads also.

Just got rid of a NINJA 500 (fun little bike I put 73K miles on) and used it on some gravel also. Not what one would call a comfortable ride (CB500X is a bit bettter). The NINJA was a bit lower and not too leaned over. Pretty upright (I did add 1 inch risers), but it is not great for an old 77YR Old rascal.

NINJA 500 and some other sport like models without the lower bars are not extreme leaned over riding position, but most all those have very little ground clearance for any off pavement. I bottomed the NINJA out a couple times (exhaust cross over goes under the frame -- no serious damage, but bent it).

Anyway, I am trying the CB500X 2014 bought with 15K miles and have 23K on it now. I like the ride, but not the height (if I am happier with lowering it - it will be ideal).

Hope I am not making a mistake using only the 1/1/4 inch kit. I barely flat foot now (ball of feet position solid on ground might be a better description).
Thump likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:25 PM

Garage
I'm looking forward to your reporting on how the 500x works for you lowered.

Something that I would like to ride instead of my 500F

ride safely,

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page