Ordered Lowering kit for 2104 CB500X - Comments Apreciated - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
steeper rake actually increases the steering agility, quicker turn-in, in expense of reduced straight line stability.
You are quite right. I should have said "greater rake". Think chopper. Greater stability with some increase in turning effort required.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I still have not ridden the CB500X but a limited miles since lowering the rear. Planning a bit more of a ride today (probably 150 to 200 miles). Maybe some gravel road if not too wet from the storm that came thru TN during early morning hours on Feb 3.

I had not planned to lower the front originally. However, yesterday (Feb 3), I did lower the front 0.75 inch as near as I could measure. Had a hard time measuring the amount lowered as the triple tree seems to be sloped around the fork. So, measurement changes depending on where you put the micrometer or ruler. I think I have it dead on on both forks.

Procedure I used; Referred to Lowering Kit web site procedure. CAUTION: The main thing in the procedure is DO NOT LOOSEN all the Clamp bolts at one time. They say the tree may slip all the way to the bottom with everything loose.

1) Loosen the two top clamp screws.

2) Loosen the lower clam screw you desire to adjust first (L or R one) and adjust that fork upward (mine seemed to only move up about 1/4 inch). TIGHTEN that clamp back tight.

3) Go to the opposite clamp used on 2 and loosen that clamp. Adjust that fork up up (it will likely move up further than the other one). TIGHTEN that clamp back tight.

4) Repeat 2 and 3 until desired lowering is achieved and measurements on each fork are the same. I used Micrometer and Ruler measuring from the line formed by the fork cover and the top of the triple tree.

PS: Like I said - the tree seems to be sloped around the fork and there is a notch that extends up a bit. So, try to measure at the same orientation on both forks - maybe check with measurements from the bottom seal on fork to lower triple tree (I did not do that). I do not know how critical adjusting them the same is (0.1MM, 1.0MM or what?), just do the best you can.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Made the 150 mile ride THU with about 11 gravel (good packed gravel for most of Hurricane Gap except for a few soft areas going to Rich Mtn turnoff). Rich Mtn portion is a bit more rough in some spots and we finally turned back at a small wash out before reaching the fire tower. Would normally cross that washout, but the best place to cross was a bit soft, it was getting late (near 4PM and we were couple hours from home), and expected near 25F during the night on the MTN. I would not want to get involved in a get off and be stranded there. GROAN

Anyway --- performance opinion after the 1 1/4 inch lowering kit and dropping the tree 0.75 inch.

Street riding --- No problem. Might like better with the tree at original VS lowered. Kind of wish I would have left it OEM longer. May try it back there.

Gravel --- Doubt handling has anything to do with lowering, but I noticed when I get into some loose gravel or soft areas this bike gets a bit Squirrely (for lack of better word)in the front end.

Thoughts about that:
I am not an expert dirt rider and I realize if is not a dirt bike. Also, I still have the Bridgstone street tire on the front (not worn out yet). I am anxious to put the SHINKO 80% street and 20% Off Road on the front, I have changed the REAR tire all ready (SHINKO 80% / 20%).

Maybe leaving the rear lowered and not lowering the front would make the front more stable under these conditions. However, I did not notice any appreciable change for the short street ride with lowering kit and front not lowered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09.JPG (28.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (107.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 13.JPG (126.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 15.JPG (139.1 KB, 11 views)

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 06:37 PM

my guess is the squirrellyness has more to do with the road conditions than the lowered forks. you sound like a good candidate for a small dual sport bike. you won't regret it!

'07 Scorpa SY125 trials bike, '09 XT250, '03 ZRX1200R, '09 FZ1

"You are put here on earth to fart around. Don't let anyone ever tell you any different."

----Kurt Vonnegut "Timequake"
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
my guess is the squirrellyness has more to do with the road conditions than the lowered forks. you sound like a good candidate for a small dual sport bike. you won't regret it!
I tell my wife -- Need a Dirt Bike as well as the Burgman 400 Scooter and the CB500X. That did not go over real well. :-)

Might also be cause going slower thru those areas than I might normally do. I know sometimes one needs to power thru the rough stuff.

It is not so much that I thought lowering the bike caused it to be worse (squirrely) as I had that feeling about the bike one time a few months ago when searching for a waterfall on a gravel road.

But, might help if I just lowered the rear and not the front. I only went 3/4 inch on the front and 1 1/4 inch lowering kit on rear.

It is not a big issue -- just a feeling I have about that bike in loose or soft stuff.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 PM

using enduro dual-sports tires might help with the off road handling.
something like 70/30% pirelli mt90
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
using enduro dual-sports tires might help with the off road handling.
something like 70/30% pirelli mt90
10-4 I have the SHINKO (80% / 20%) on rear and have one for the front. Waiting to install it when front tire wears out.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:29 PM

how's the lowering affect the rear wheel travel?
change of the triangle geometry is also affecting the compression/rebound speed. as we all know the oem shock has a very poor rebound damping to start with.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
how's the lowering affect the rear wheel travel?
change of the triangle geometry is also affecting the compression/rebound speed. as we all know the oem shock has a very poor rebound damping to start with.
I am not technical enough or race tuned rider to worry about rebound.

Rides OK to me before or after lowering.

That said, the suspension on this bike seems stiff to me compared to other bikes I have owned since May 2001 and over 320,000 miles( Honda VLX 600 Cruiser, Kawa 800 Cruiser, Burgman 650 and 400 Scooter, and a NINJA 500).

The NINJA 500 became pretty stiff in the front when I had the front forks rebuilt (leaking) and the guy used heavier oil in the forks. It was equal to the CB500X after that.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as a small dual sport bike, unless you build it yourself.
All the ones I've seen are taller than the 500X - usually by quite a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page