Oil light stays lit after oil change - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Oil light stays lit after oil change

I just changed the oil on my 2013 CB500X (first oil change). Up to now I have had no problems. I decided to do it myself as the dealership seemed a little concerning- when I took my bike for its service on the date they told me to, they booked it in, told me to come at the end of the day- when I returned they did not know who I was, had to go and look for my bike, when they found it they told me the work hadn't been done because I was only booked in the following week! I am putting on daily miles and didn't wan't to wait any longer, but also felt I couldn't trust them not to make more mistakes, so this weekend, I did it myself.
I used a Bosch 3300 filter, Mobil1 MX4T 10W40 oil, followed all the rules, warm-up, drain, remove oil filter, install new filter 3/4 full with new oil, hand tight, re-insert drain plug, add 2.7l of oil (including the part I put in the filter).
Start it up and the oil pressure light stays lit.
I did do quite a thorough drain, but I felt that my level looked O.K with my son holding the bike up as I have no centre stand.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM

While the bike is in an upright position fill the bike with oil until it reaches the top line in the oil sight. I find that my bike takes a full 3 liters, usually 2.7l to fill it and once I run it I need to top it off again, which brings me to 3 liters. I have 22,000 miles and every change has taken a full 3 for me.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Oil light stays lit-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
While the bike is in an upright position fill the bike with oil until it reaches the top line in the oil sight. I find that my bike takes a full 3 liters, usually 2.7l to fill it and once I run it I need to top it off again, which brings me to 3 liters. I have 22,000 miles and every change has taken a full 3 for me.
Thanks, EricH, I will do that- it is a little below the line. Would that extra 300ml be enough to trigger the oil pressure warning light? I was also worried it might be a compatibility problem between the bike, filter and oil, even though I did a lot of research and it seemed the filter would be O.K on this bike.

So I just went and added that last 300ml of oil- and the oil light is still on. Now I'm really worried!

Last edited by Greyteenager1; 06-22-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Want to add something

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyteenager1 View Post
Thanks, EricH, I will do that- it is a little below the line.
Top line?

Last edited by cubanski; 06-22-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: ignore me, misread post
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Sensible post now. Wait till the morning and phone the dealer you got it from.

Did you let it idle for a couple of mins just to make sure oil worked its way through the system? That is my only thought
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanski View Post
Sensible post now. Wait till the morning and phone the dealer you got it from.

Did you let it idle for a couple of mins just to make sure oil worked its way through the system? That is my only thought
Hi Cubanski,
Thanks for your reply- how long should I expect the oil light to stay on after starting?
I've done a lot of cars, and it always goes out almost instantly.
I have restarted the bike about 4 times and let it run for probably less than a minute each time- it stays on steadily each time.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 PM

When I changed my oil, the oil light turns on after you put the new oil in because the oil needs to be circulated through the engine and the oil sensor probably hasn't figured out that there is oil in the bike. The light was on for a few minutes and then it turned off. Just make sure where you move the bike upright to see the little oil window that the oil level is in between the 2 lines.

2014 CBR500RA - Danmoto Carbon GP, T-Rex Frame Sliders
Suomy Apex 60's Legend
Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0
Rev'It Cyclone H20 Rain Jacket (Neon Yellow)
Alpinestars Octane-S Moto Gloves
Drift Ghost
SJ4000
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyteenager1 View Post
Hi Cubanski,
Thanks for your reply- how long should I expect the oil light to stay on after starting?
I've done a lot of cars, and it always goes out almost instantly.
I have restarted the bike about 4 times and let it run for probably less than a minute each time- it stays on steadily each time.
It's your bike and i don't want to make you do anything to **** it up but as yudhamica said , maybe let it idle for more than a minute.

If you are uncomfortable with that, wait to speak to your dealers mechanic. I let my dealer service my bike so can't help much reall, maybe after one or 2 more that do their own oil changes have spoken up you'll get a better answer.

Always better to make sure though, rather than risk avoidable damage
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 10:41 PM

While the Bosch 3300 oil filter may fit on the CB500X, the filter was made for cars. The oil filter is probably the cause for your oil pressure problem. Use the genuine Honda oil filter (15410MFJD01) or K&N oil filter (KN-204).
bambams and Dukie like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudhamica17 View Post
When I changed my oil, the oil light turns on after you put the new oil in because the oil needs to be circulated through the engine and the oil sensor probably hasn't figured out that there is oil in the bike. The light was on for a few minutes and then it turned off. Just make sure where you move the bike upright to see the little oil window that the oil level is in between the 2 lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanski View Post
It's your bike and i don't want to make you do anything to **** it up but as yudhamica said , maybe let it idle for more than a minute.

If you are uncomfortable with that, wait to speak to your dealers mechanic. I let my dealer service my bike so can't help much reall, maybe after one or 2 more that do their own oil changes have spoken up you'll get a better answer.

Always better to make sure though, rather than risk avoidable damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcolors View Post
While the Bosch 3300 oil filter may fit on the CB500X, the filter was made for cars. The oil filter is probably the cause for your oil pressure problem. Use the genuine Honda oil filter (15410MFJD01) or K&N oil filter (KN-204).
Great advice from everyone- thanks!
The reason I used the Bosch 3300 is that a number of technical sites stated that its specs were very similar in every way to the Honda OEM filter. Does anyone have any experience using it? If that is the problem I will definitely change it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page