Oil light stays lit after oil change - Page 5 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 AM
eds

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiser View Post
Just to piggyback on this thread, I had my first oil change by the dealership at 1000kms and now I am about to change oil by myself after 7000kms total, would I also need to buy new oil cap/filter or whatever, or its enough to just change the oil? Manual says next mandatory change is on 12000kms.

Also how often do you guys change oil? I wonder if I should actually change it at all now on 7k, or just wait until 12k. I ride bike in normal conditions, so asphalt, etc..
ALWAYS change the oil filter.
If changing oil by yourself; drain the oil filter separately in a empty pan. Stick one/two short stick into the holes and let it all drain out (slowly). You will see quite a lot of metallic shavings! On mine, the metallic shavings stabilised after 12,000 km.

My bike begs me to change its oil every 2500 km! Just did another change; wow, what a difference!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:59 AM

if I change oil every 2.5k km, I could have changed 11x for the last 2 years.
but then I don't have that manic feeling in me, but I do flush the engine before every oil change.
Thump likes this.

CBR500R Tricolor
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 04:11 AM
eds

Yes, it is not practical if doing a lot km/miles.
My oil change interval is every 5 or 6 months; twice a year is reasonable with me.
My bike "tells me" (i can feel it) that it wants fresh oil; and the difference it makes (with fresh oil), makes it worth while.
The $ i save from self servicing, pays for a lot of oil & filter changes!

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 AM

lol.
5/6 mths looks more sensible.
well, I can't seem to find this locally👇
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1472206342288.jpg (17.6 KB, 10 views)

CBR500R Tricolor
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I can see that. Not only from the filter media but there is a rubber check valve behind those small holes that the oil flows through.
I tried to compare my Bosch filter to another brand filter I had lying around by pushing on it with a small screwdriver. It's hard to tell but I can see that if that rubber valve was too stiff it could impede oil flow.

I think I'll bite the bullet and buy another Honda filter and compare.
I changed my oil today and used a new Honda OEM filter.
After comparing it to the Bosch and the Purolator Pure One I found this out. There is virtually no difference between the Purolator and the Bosch except for the body color and the outside seal color.
The inside flow back rubber is the same silicone rubber material which is resistant to being pushed open with a screwdriver. It looks like it will do its job very well. Maybe too well for our low pressure systems.
I did not inspect the filter media.

With the Honda filter, the flow back preventer is made of a type of nylon material, I think, and it can be pushed open with a screw driver quite easily.

I think this is important.

A filter made for a car can have a more resistant flow back preventer due to the higher oil pressure present
in the cars motor.
The CB's oil pressure is only 13 psi at 1200 RPM. Any resistance to the oil flow will impact the amount of oil circulating in the engine I believe.

I have used Purolator filters in other bikes I have owned with no problems but that is going to stop.

I suggest you compare them for yourselves if there is any doubt.

I'm going to see if I can buy a bunch of the Honda filters online at a discount.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Put the old filter back see if the light goes off it should not take more than about 30 secs to go off
the delay is the filter filling up but as you part filled it you should not have to wait long.

Who would design a vehicle that falls over when you stop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm going to see if I can buy a bunch of the Honda filters online at a discount.
You can. I tend to order a bunch to get lower shipping or free shipping. I bought a half dozen as part of a $153 order; the oil filters for $8.40 each. Shipping from Honda Parts Direct in Palestine, TX was $25.

I also bought a couple of air filters, a set of front brake pads and front and rear (39 tooth) sprockets.

I bought an x-ring chain elsewhere.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
You can. I tend to order a bunch to get lower shipping or free shipping. I bought a half dozen as part of a $153 order; the oil filters for $8.40 each. Shipping from Honda Parts Direct in Palestine, TX was $25.

I also bought a couple of air filters, a set of front brake pads and front and rear (39 tooth) sprockets.

I bought an x-ring chain elsewhere.
That's good info.
I bought the OEM filter. I pre filled it. I watched the oil light as I started the bike and it stayed on for a second.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
I bought the OEM filter. I pre filled it. I watched the oil light as I started the bike and it stayed on for a second.
Success!

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page