Furthest trip - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Furthest trip

What's the Furthest trip or camping trip you taken on your 500 R/F/X . Are you planning any trip over a few hundred miles. What's the furthest trip you would take your 500's?Do you feel need for a bike with more CC s to take you on a long trip? Myself after taking several trips with & without 70 lbs of camping gear from 200-1000 mile I'm thinking does a person really need more,except maybe in the mountains/Passes.
Wish All Safe & Enjoyable Rides & Trips !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm taking a 1800 mile trip in June to the Dolomite Mountains in Italy, spread out over 1 week. I think I'm gonna invest in a tankbag, maybe a hard case for on the back and a nice backpack. I think I'll be fine comfort wise since a couple of guys are gonna be driving their supersports all the way there too. Plenty of mountain passes and curvy roads to really test this bike.
Day 1 is gonna be the worst by far though, 500 miles to cover in 1 day. I'll need a beer after that hehe
Jamco likes this.

2017 CB500F - Yoshimura R77
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Yelp 500 miles is more than I would like to be on a bike in one day. I prefer 250-350 miles.
Have a Safe trip. Are you taking camping gear or just staying in motels? I do like not having to take 70Lbs of gear "BUT" it is a lot cheaper to camp than paying for rooms. Here's a picture of my bike when camping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (202.9 KB, 17 views)
Masterdome likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 PM

We're staying in hotels, first one on the south German border near Austria, second one just south of the Italian border. So I'm not gonna pack too heavy plus I have a friend who can take some of my luggage in his Goldwing

2017 CB500F - Yoshimura R77
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

That will make for a enjoyable trip. Remember you don't need to over pack with too much Clothes. Riding jacket/ pants, rain gear, two long sleeve shirts,underwear,socks, street pants,short sleeve shirts gloves, riding boots& one extra pair of footwear,helmet Shield cleaner/ defogger if temperatures will be cooler, chain lube & degreaser, tire repair kit,tools but I'm sure some else will have those,toiletries. You can rinse out clothes in sink or bathtub/shower. I've always have ended up taken too many clothes. You could probably get all this in a topcase & seatbag or panniers. A medium size tank bag 7-10 liters comes in handy.
Don't forget to get a windscreen. I usually use a 19"tall screen but you could get by with a 16" height. This will depend on you top speed/ average speed. I ride at 65-75 mph on trips. I'm sure your friends know all what I've written & probably wiser than me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Garage
Furthest trip for me on the 500 so far. Tahoe and back a few times. About a 250 mile day for two of those rides, and then one turn into about 350 mile day with some back road exploration.
Jamco likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Compared to the flat,straight,windy& dust of West Texas .Tahoe would be a fantastic. I did live around Dallas & East Texas to the Louisiana was nice riding. Many lakes ,trees ,green & nice small towns. But now I'm in the DESERT. No curves for 100's of miles. Just put on the throttle lock & 6th gear ! Wake me up in 300 miles. Forgot have to get gas around 200 miles.
sonicboom likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 PM

Garage
My furthest trip is about 60 miles; not sure I will improve soon

“If there is a solution, why do you worry? If there is not a solution, why do you worry?” Aristoteles
“I'll feel old only five minutes before I die” F.Califano
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
I like riding in the desert. It's got some type of therapeutic quality about it.

I get my desert riding in with Nevada and Southern Utah now and again, just not with this bike yet. Come to think of it, did get a little desert it in with this bike when I dropped into NEVADA ON THAT 350 MILE DAY.

So far most of the riding on this bike mostly twisty stuff.

Nothing like star gazing at night out in a desert far from any lights, what a view.
Jamco and Masterdome like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM

The furthest I've gone in a day is about 300 miles. 150 miles each way round trip. That was a long day. I had to stop about 5 times on the way down and probably more like 7 on the way back up. Took the better part of 12 hours, I think, give or take (but that's also with eating and things). And that was "cheating" on an already fast and straight road. Had I been this side of the border I wouldn't make it nearly as far... Furthest I've gone round trip in kilometers is probably about 200 km, but that was with only 1-2 stops each way.

The highways around here are forested and twisty enough that you don't want to fall asleep, but also sweeping enough that they're boring to ride (i.e., at "lose your license" speeds with your body straight up you only lean the bike a few degrees). If you lived here your whole life it's hard to enjoy the ride on a cheap, stock, standard/sport bike, especially traveling to familiar sights. If I had the time and money or ambition for an overnight stay it would probably be more worthwhile to keep going instead of turning around, but I haven't gone that far yet. For one thing because days off are limited and I'd rather relax and drink beer than chain them together with a sore ass, but also because I don't want to leave the misses behind.

I mean the best with what I say. It doesn't always sound that way.
2013 Honda CBR500R (Millennium Red) (Completely stock)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page