Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Honda Warrenty Issue

7K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Golflad 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hate for this to be my first post but I really need some backup/ help from other owners. I purchased a NEW 2016 cb500f about a month ago from SF moto in San Fransisco. I have since put 250 miles on the bike and I was really enjoying it. Here is a quick list of mods and service I have done.

fender eliminator
led front and rear blinkers
gear indicator
bar end mirrors
akra slip on exhaust
usb phone charger/ ram mount
rear tire hugger
oil change and swap to k/n filter at 200 miles

This past Saturday I went for a ride with a buddy of mine. About 30 minutes in, going about 45 mph, I hear a loud noise from the rear. I pull over to inspect. As it turns out the left chain tensioning bracket had slipped out of the swing arm and gotten chopped up by the hub. Mind you I have not touched a single thing having to do with rear suspension, drive train, etc. I was shocked that this had happened after 250 miles of riding on a brand new bike which was "checked and serviced" before I picked it up. I figured this had to be a warrenty issue right?

So I brought the bike back to SF moto who told me they would have to talk to Honda. After talking to Honda, they came back and told me Honda will not cover any parts under warrenty. My jaw dropped. So they are telling me, a defect or assembly error that could have caused me serious injury is not covered under warrenty on a brand new bike bought at an authorized dealer?? There is something wrong here. The reasons they gave were 1, they have not seen this on other bikes. My response was well it happened to mine and thats all you need to know. And 2 that I had worked on the bike, namely the k/n oil filter. My response, how does that have anything to do with the issue at hand and the damage to my bike? They did not seem to have any answers to my questions. I reached out to Honda myself in fear that SF moto is railroading me to get out of having to do the work. Still waiting to hear back. Honestly I am extremely put off by this behavior from Honda, makes me want to sell the bike and get a Yamaha. I dont feel safe riding a bike that broke at speed for no reason and the company refuses to take it seriously. If anyone has experienced something similar or has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Again I did not tension the chain, mess with any of the rear suspension or brakes, etc. Didnt even put the bike on stands.

Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
The first reccomended service is at 600 miles. Every 4 stroke bike I have ever owned I have done an oil change at 200 and 400 miles. It is during this time when most metal is shaved and cycled through the filter. There is nothing wrong with doing this, many people do the same.

#4 ·
I find it odd they are not covering this. Obviously the part malfunctioned somehow.

Did they charge you an hour labor to check it out? I had that happen to me, (Roseville, Cal, Honda) just for checking something that turned out to not be a problem, they charged me for an hour labor. They told me since I didn't have a counter sprocket leak and it was melted chain wax, that they can charge me an hour labor since it didn't turn into a warranty situation.

It sounds like Honda and the Dealerships play hard ball with warranty situations.

#6 ·
Honda should be calling me tomorrow. I really hope I atleast get to tell them the whole story. I have a feeling they will have already made up their mind if what the dealer told me is true. Im going to be really pissed if I cant get this covered under warrenty. It will be about 500 bucks in parts to replace everything with damage. Isnt this what a warrenty on new bikes is for? I cant believe they tried to make the case that me adding aftermarket parts somehow caused this to happen. I want to get someone important on the phone and have them go through each mod and how they believe it could have caused this. Would love to hear how my led blinkers caused the chain tensioner to come out of the swing arm.

#8 · (Edited)
Magnuson Moss Act is what jparf refers to, and it is your friend in this predicament. It states: "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty". It also states "if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, the warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge," which in this case, the component part is not related to anything you worked on. The warranty will also cover workmanship defects from the factory.

None of your mods had anything to do with the chain adjusters. Your dealer is just... pulling your chain about this not being covered under warranty. you are allowed to work on the bike and still have a warranty if the work you did didn't have anything to do with the failing part, which is your case. Also, it doesn't matter that they've not seen this on any other bikes; that would make it a case for a recall, not a warranty issue. warranty covers a manufacturer defect even if it's just on one of their bikes. If one bike had a faulty tail light, or bearing, or kill switch, etc within the warranty period, they have to replace it, period.

If they fight you tooth and nail on this then I'd find another dealer, then I'd put the initial dealer on blast for not backing what they sell.

Reactions: blipco
#9 · (Edited)
Many forums have a "Stealerships to Avoid" thread. Maybe we need one too.

The Magnuson-Moss Act is your friend: http://www.jtexconsumerlaw.com/V11N3/JCCL_Magnuson.pdf

I take pictures of my maintenance work and keep receipts, but, have never needed to use a warranty.

Caveat: Your fender eliminator installation probably involved removing the rear wheel. I suspect that the stealership claims that it was re-installed incorrectly. I am not sure how your problem could occur if it were re-installed correctly.

Reactions: blipco
#14 ·
Hey guys. I talked to honda directly today and they are still making it sound like it will not be covered. I will throw that law at them if they tell me no tomorrow, thanks for the info. And to answer your questions, no I never took the rear wheel off or did anything to anything in the general area of the drive train etc. The fender eliminator is simply 4 bolts under the rear seat. And the tire hugger is 4 screws, it simply replaces the chain guard. I put both of those things on at 10 miles on the bike along with most of the other mods.

#15 ·
Here is my email to Honda.

Hello, I am writing you because I do not seem to be getting any help from Honda phone support or my dealer. I would like this information to be on record incase this ends up needing to be taken to higher authorities. I have owned a 2016 cb500f for approx 1 month. It currently has 256 miles on it and is still in brand new condition with the addition of a few aftermarket parts (slip on exhaust, led blinkers, gear indicator). Having never once touched ANYTHING on the rear swing arm including the wheel, drive train etc. the left chain tensioning plate slipped out of the swing arm while I was riding. Thankfully I was not injured, It could have been much worse considering the bracket got chewed up by the bolts on the hub. You and I should be extremely thankful for my safety during this malfunction. Thinking this would no doubt be covered under warrenty, I brought it to the dealer where I purchased the bike. They contacted you and told me you are not covering the parts. I was honestly completely furious that a company such as honda would pay such little attention to an issue that could have killed a rider. Writing it off as my fault for using after market parts. Saying they have never had it happen before. Well guess what? It happened to me on my bike and thats all it takes for a warrenty, a defective part or incorrect assembly. Knowing for a fact that I did not touch anything related to the rear wheel and drive train assembly, you must by LAW cover this under warrenty.

Magnuson Moss Act states: "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty". It also states "if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, the warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge."

How do you expect me to ever have faith in your product again if I cant even get you to replace a few parts that clearly malfunctioned at no fault of my own? Please replace my swing arm, hub, and chain tensioner assembly under warrenty. I am otherwise prepared to get my lawyer involved along with the DOT and whatever other parties are required to set this straight. I am not one to threaten, but I know when I am being suckered by a big company who doesnt want to pay out. I will not stand for it.

#16 ·
It sounds like the installation was at fault. I do not know if the wheels are in place on the bike during shipping or installed by the dealer. I do know that on my new 2014 CB500XA, I rode the bike home (doing lots of engine braking on semi-deserted roads) and loosened the chain a tad as well as straightening the rear wheel a bit, using a laser after removing the chain guard.

#17 ·
This unfortunate. Your letter to Honda looks good. I think it's wise that you create a paper trail in case something else bad happens.
I have no idea why a shop would not press Honda for you as they get money from Honda to fix it.

Could you post up a detailed pic? I'm going to check mine now.

#18 ·
This could very well be an item that Honda hold the dealership responsible.

Something not right with all of this.

It's one of three things.

1. Dealership will be held responsible on this type claim.

2. OP not telling us the whole story.

3. Honda being an all out A hole.

Truth someplace in the middle of it all.

#20 ·
Couple weeks ago adjusting my chain, I noticed this situation with those adjusters needing to be tight up against the end of the swing arm.

Could be that Honda's aware this an improper chain adjustment situation, and they put the repair cost onto the dealership and or the owner of the bike. Whoever adjusted that chain last.

Catch 22. It's a, "who done it".

Good thing about this, we all now know to be careful with chain adjustment, make **** sure those end caps are up against the end of that swing arm before and after you tighten down that axle nut.

#22 ·
I owned a 2003 Bonneville from new and then a 2004 Thruxton, both built in the U.K. Now have a 2007 made in Thailand, can't tell a bit of difference between the 2007 and the other two bikes.

Lot of guys spout that stuff off about the Thailand bikes, I don't think any proof exist either way.

As far as any machine work, that's all done by CNC equipment, any monkey can operate that equipment and get the same exact part no matter where you make it.

#24 ·
The bikes come with the wheels already installed. Either someone at the shop did not tighten the lock nut, someone at the factors did not tighten it and it was missed by the tech who got the bike ready, or the OP played with the chain adjustment, which in so few miles, I would find that odd. That being said, the worst thing you could do in this situation is threaten legal action. It sounds like you bought your bike from a shady shop. Are there any other dealers in your area?

#28 ·
After reading this thread yesterday, I checked my bike; both tensioner locknuts were loose!! I am blaming myself because I had removed rear wheel after a puncture and I thought the locknuts were tightened ok. Obviously wrong there. Re tightened them and applied Loktite to locknut thread. It will be on my pre-ride check list from now on. Thanks to the forum member who raised it and thanks to the forum. Ken.

#33 ·
The OP didnt admitt fault. Golflad noticed an issue with his bike. Lucky OP posted.

An update from OP would be good.

#30 ·
I believe the sequence in which you tighten the axle and the adjuster nuts is important. Once you get the chain at the proper tension, snug the 14mm nut up against the adjuster (to keep the axle from moving) and then tighten the axle nut. After the axle nut is tight, tighten the 14mm nut and then the 12 mm nut up against the 14. If you tighten the adjuster nuts before the axle nut, the axle may move away from the adjusters slightly when you tighten the nut allowing the adjuster nuts to loosen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.