Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

new member, seriously considering the 500F

8K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 · (Edited)
hi, everyone. i'm in my 21st year of riding, currently throttling a 2015 suzuki v-strom 650 with givi 33L topbox. my old age (68), coupled with the bike's high seat and topheaviness, is encouraging me to replace my strom with a lower, lighter-weight mc.

i've been looking at the 500F, the new suzuki sv650, the new kawasaki z650, and the yamaha yzf-r3. following my review i'm leaning toward the honda.

i've yet to ride one. dunno about where you live, but dealers here in san diego are reluctant to allow looky-loos to test ride, unless a sales contract is complete, except for the buyer's signature.

question regarding service, particularly the valves: how frequently? did i read that an inspection is due at the 600-mile service? what are the intervals after 600 miles?

i'm definitely NOT a wrench (no discussion needed...LOL). i have been taking my bikes to a local indie shop for several years.

thanx!

#4 ·
I will double check my owners manual, but if I am not mistaken, 2016+ models only require an oil change at the 600 mile mark. The CB500F is a very fun bike to ride. It isn't what I would consider fast, but it has a great feel to it and has more than enough power for everyday commuting.

#5 ·
Also Look at the 2017 Kawasaki Z650 and the 2017 Kawasaki Versys 300X.

I'm 5'7" and the Honda 500F works for me but I want more RPMs, so I'm looking at the 2 Kawasakis mentioned above.

ride safely,

#6 ·
hi, extex, i am considering the z650, but it requires more bux to put into the garage. i'm a cheapskate, as i have cash to buy any of the bikes, with or without selling my v strom. i tend to tightfistedness, probably a vice more than a virtue.

the versys 300x might be interesting, but, frankly, i HATE spokes. LOL

#9 ·
i've yet to ride one. dunno about where you live, but dealers here in san diego are reluctant to allow looky-loos to test ride, unless a sales contract is complete, except for the buyer's signature.

thanx!
Hi Steve. Here in Ontario, Honda Canada brings a trailer full of bikes around to the dealerships, for their "come ride with us" days, starting in the spring, for people to test drive. I dont know if they do something similar in California, but it's worth looking into. All the best with your decision.

#10 ·
I have a 2015 F model. I can't imagine an easier bike to ride. I've owned many bikes. One of my last bikes was a 650 Versys which is pretty much like your V Storm.
The Versys was what I thought the easiest bike to ride but after buying the CB F, the Honda is much easier. But it is substantially down on power compared to the Versys.
The Kawi Z 650 is about 410 pounds wet with a low seat height and may be worth looking at but it's a couple of bucks more and being a new model I doubt you'll be able to get anything off as opposed to a left over CB F.

The Honda CB series are great bikes.
Don't rush, enjoy the process.

#11 ·
It was only the first year (2013) that had the 600 mile valve adjustment. I have checked the valves on two CBR500s at about 16,000 miles and they have not needed any different shims. I don't think they changed the engine after the 2013 model year, I just think they realized it could go a lot longer and they were making a lot of new owners angry with having to pay big bucks after only riding 600 miles.

#12 ·
I talked to an ex racer now salesman. I asked him the same question. He told me that the engine was a new design and Honda wanted the motors checked at 600 miles to see they were ok.
I asked them why Honda did not pay for this ridiculous service interval...He had no answer.

The later bikes do not require this check at 600 miles and I have no intention of checking under the valve cover for at least 16,000 miles.

#13 ·
My experience with bucket and shim, they seldom need adjustment, and when they do, it's about like splitting hairs. They never get out that far either way, just the design of the bucket and shim systems.

I've seen 3 Bonneville's go out to over 100,000 miles with no shim adjustment.

Not sure what the history will be with this CB, the engine are still pretty new with not a whole lot of tracking information as of yet.

#14 ·
My valves were checked at 24,000 km and no adjustment needed. Was told by mechanic (Honda dealer) that was normal. He said some bikes he'd seen needed adjustment at 48,000 km.

#15 ·
The rule of thumb, the more moving parts you have contacting each other in the valve train the more metal there is to wear away thus needing more adjustment.
That and the seating of the valves and the stretching of the valve stems.

Shim under bucket only has the cam lobes touching the top of the bucket. No wear between the bottom side of the bucket and the shim.

With our valves we have the cam lobe hitting the follower then the follower hitting the shim. So there's an extra moving metal hitting metal.
Of course there is also the hardness of the surfaces to consider.

I like the finger followers because you don't have to remove the cams, which is a PITA IMO.

#20 ·
The day after I became eligible for Medicare I totaled a 2010 Bonneville SE in a single-vehicle (i.e., "operator error") accident. Broke my leg in 2 places and tore a biceps tendon. But, I'd put 15,000+ miles on that bike and all but that last 100 feet was pretty enjoyable, so after I healed up, I started shopping. Always thought the Triumph ran too hot and too heavy, plus it drooled oil from various gaskets, so I wanted light and reliable. Ended up with a 2015 500F and after 3 years I still love it. Do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.