Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

First "big bike" ?

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Arwen 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, just joined this forum as I my local Honda dealer has just taken in a new CB500F (in the lovely orange) as a demo bike. And to my surprise I really like the look and feel of it. I've not taken it out for a test ride yet, as I don't have my full licence, and they are waiting until March to register it as a demo (plate change time).
So I'd like to get some real life info on it and if you lot have any other suggestions, feel free to chip in!

I've been riding around on my excellent little MSX 125 for the past two years, and will be keeping this alongside any bigger bike I get. The MSX is ideal for my short 7 mile each way commute across the city. However it is not really idea for going further afield and for weekends away.
What I am looking for in a bigger bike is the ability to fit and carry a decent amount of luggage for when I do go away, and to have (or be able to have) a screen for some wind protection on faster roads.
So, is luggage relatively easy to attach to these bikes? I'd probably just go for soft panniers, tank bag and a top box.
Does the bike feel much different while loaded up with luggage?
How is the wind protection with a screen fitted?
The LED headlight on the newer versions looks small, how does it perform in real life situations?
And also, cause I'm sure I'll do something stupid like dropping it on the drive way, can you get good looking crash bars/bobbins that actually will protect from "silly drops"?

I prefer naked looking bikes, and as I am rather short in the leg, lower bikes where the engine weight is more of less under me are ideal. I'm also not a great lover of speed. So getting a bigger bike purely for more HP and top end speed is not really my thing. So long as it can cruise at 70mph with ease I'll be fine.
The 500F feels very easy to hold with one foot on the ground and I also like the looks of it, so it is a strong contender on my list!
Other bikes I have been looking at are the MT-07 (feels a bit heavier and would need to be second hand for my budget - no really an issue for me). I've also been keeping an eye on the new BMW G310 GS and R models. I love the look of the little GS, however until I can sit on one, I'm unsure if I'll be able to reach the ground!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had no problem with either my Puig windscreen or my 19" Vstream. Have taken several trips with 70+ LBS of camping gear ,no problems. The FZ07 weighs less @ 397lbs. You could look at the Kawasaki Z650 lower seat height than the 500F about the same weight. But you couldn't find a used Z650 their new for 2017.
The 500F is a Great bike. Put on a rear rack for Topcase & a centerstand.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Get a luggage rack and center stand for sure.

I just got a Puig 5267H (smoke) touring II windshield. It looks good, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Just back from a brisk ride with the Puig windshield.
Mounted at it's lowest position:
It looks good,
blocks the wind from my chest
and had no turbulences for my helmet (I'm 5'7").

It made riding more enjoyable. Got it at RevZilla for $130 for the smoke color.
A 2 person job to install. I have the brackets as close to the handlebar clamp as possible .
I may experiment with other clamp locations to raise the angle of the windshield.

Ride safely

#5 ·
Thanks folks! Great to know there are at least a few options for screens. Bee stings while on the bike sound painful! It's sore enough when they hit you at speed. :)
A Center stand is on the must have list for if I get it. I'll see what price they can do for a rack and top case. I do find them useful to have on the MSX, but they don't add much to the look of the bike...:wink:

#6 ·
If you don't want a rear rack ,you could use like you said soft panniers & rear seat bag. It's going to depend how much stuff you need for your longer trips. The top cases do come off with a push of a button & key lock turn. I do like the top case for locking stuff up & carrying groceries in. I agree the top case doesn't look good but it sure is a Great asset to have when needed. I bought mine from Amazon for less than $80.00 it's a 46 liter size. Almost big enough to fit 2 fullface helmets.

Attachments

#10 ·
Another soft luggage option:

I use a tail bag and cheap cruiser saddlebags in town, but, for touring this works much better.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Check Revzilla for rear rack choices & prices. In the Garage button put year & model of your bike then shop parts for it. I think there's a Givi & Moteck available.
This pic is a Givi 1119 model $120.00 This is mounted on a 2014 500F . This mounts where the grap handles are.
2016/ 2017 models mounts most likely will be different.
Also this pic is with the universal topcase mounting plate already put on the rack.

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for all the great info guys. I passed my full test last week so I'm pretty much all set to get a bigger bike now!

I've spent a long weekend looking and sitting on as many bikes as I can, and it is looking more and more likely that the cb500f is going to be the one for me, at least for the next year or so. When I told my local dealer that I had passed he said he would PDI the bike that afternoon so I can take it out for a test ride when my licence comes back from the DVLA :D

I've got a top box on my MSX just now - yes it looks mildly silly but it is so useful. Until it gets windy then it acts like a big wind brake!
@jsonder, that is the kind of tail pack/panniers combo thing I am thinking of using. So I may use the in combo with a top box on the 500.

Really looking forward to getting out and test riding it!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to taking the CB500f out for a test ride yesterday afternoon!
I had it out on the road for about 2hrs, doing a total of 55 miles. Around the city I did lots of start-stop traffic, some filtering and lots of slow moving traffic. The bikes handled very well turning ability seems very like my little MSX. The clutch took me a while to get used too. It seems heavy compared to what I am used to. Aside from that, slow control was easy, it is a very well balanced bike!
Out on dual carriageway I was a bit giddy from the drastic change in acceleration compared to my little msx = much fun!! After I got this out my system I found it a bit too vibratey around the 50-70mph range when in anything other than 6th gear. When in 6th however it was perfectly smooth, and still had enough pull for an overtake at 70mph.
On the country roads I took it too it handled the awfulness of crumbling tarmac and moon like surface and mud ok. I think the suspension on this one was set up too firm for me, so when I take it out again I will probably get it adjusted to be a bit softer.

Overall I enjoyed my afternoon with it. Kinda wish it had a screen, but that could just be me. I hate the feeling of wind pushing against me at 60mph+. The bike itself was well planted the whole time, didn't feel it being veered off course or anything.

I really like the shimmer effect of the orange paint job. Definitely my kinda paint job! Stock mirrors look bad, but work very well. The exhaust is not as giant as other new bikes exhausts, but it is very very quiet. It growls if you accelerate hard, but other than that it just rumbled away quietly.
The seat is reasonably slippy, which is good for me as I can only get the ball of one foot down at a time on this bike. Stopping at junctions and lights I know to take a while to change it was no problem to slip over to one side of the seat so I could get a whole foot down. The bike being very well balanced helps loads with this too.
The space under the rear seat looks like it could be a handy little stash for bits and bobs too!

If I do decided to buy this bike, I'm hoping the vibrations become less once it is broken in? It only had 60 miles on the clock when I picked it up. And also, could I expect the clutch to become less heavy? I know bigger clutches feel heaver compared to 125cc's, but the bigger bikes I have ridden previously didn't feel quite as heavy at the clutch on this one.
Aside from Akrapovic, what other louder, but not deafening exhausts can you get for it that are still road legal in the UK?
The lack of a center stand is rather annoying too. The dealer said he can get one put on, but it requires some modification to the exhaust or something?
And, for people who have screens on their cb500f's, which screen is best for deflecting the wind from your chest/shoulders when going at speed? I'm 5'4"ish so doesn't need to be a big screen I don't think?

And finally, some pictures :)

#15 ·
I found that engine guards magnify the vibration from the engine... to the extent that I had to remove them.

Life is much better without them. but I wanted them to mount highway pegs and/or auxiliary lights.

Ride safety.

Update us. Did you ever ride the 500F demo ? and what did you buy ?

#17 ·
I was recently in a showroom and I actually squeezed the clutch lever on a 2016 F model to compare it to another bike I am considering buying. It seemed rough, as if it needed some lube. By comparison my clutch lever is much smoother as I lubed it when I changed my levers.

That orange is nice. You guys get the cool colors.

#21 ·
#23 ·
These days I look at the F and wish I would have gotten one instead of the R. Less fairing to get in the way of maintenance, and they look bad ass compared to the 13-15 R. That said, most of my pleasure riding is highway so perhaps I'd miss the bit of fairing I do have. But nevertheless, F is a sweet look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.