Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Freeway Bike?

14K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  sashsania 
#1 ·
Hi -

I am considering a 2016 CB500F, but I am wondering how it performs from 60-80 mph. Am I going to expect too much from this little bike, or do you owners find it to be satisfactory on the freeway?

Thank you.

#4 ·
I use it on the freeway all the time between 70 and 85 MPH, the bike perform just as well as any other bikes I've ever owned. including my liter bikes. It may have a little less passing power up over 80 or so, but I've never had any major issues. Just go down a gear is all I do.

I do a great deal of mountain riding living in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada's. Which probably a little bit more demanding then most other areas of the country. This bike can perform in this environment perfectly fine.

I was concern with performance when I first purchased the bike and had plan to just use it for some twisty mountain riding. Now I use it for everything including long trips. It's a little bike that punches hard for a 500cc motorcycle. I would go as far as say that it feels more like and performs like a 750 to me then a 500.

Case in point, I own a Bonneville 865 and can barely tell any engine performance difference between the two bikes. I really can't decide if one have more power over the other or not. They are that close in performance. Did not expect that at all.

#5 ·
One other thing.

Good friend I ride with, who rides a Suzuki V strom 1000, which is like an almost 100 HP motorcycle. He can throttle away from me initially, then once I get this thing up into the 6000 to 7000 rpm range, that gap remain the same, in other words, he can't shake this little bike off his tale. He can't follow and stay with me on a twisty road, he can make up the difference on the straights, but as soon as a turn comes up, I can double the distance. LOL

This bike totally blows his mind. LOL

You just got to know how to ride it, if you keep the rpm's up it can stay with any other bikes.

It depends on riding skills. Not the arrow but the Indian.

#6 ·
I traded in my 500 not quite two weeks ago. But of the 10,000 miles I put on it, probably half were interstate highway miles. The 500 performs wonderfully on the highway, including accelerating to pass slower-moving traffic. Unless you're unusually heavy or highway traffic in your area moves unusually fast, the 500 will serve you very well there.

#7 ·
This topic is covered here somewhat extensively.
It all depends on your riding style.
At 60 it's got plenty of passing power, at 80 not quite as much but it handles the freeways just fine.
It's an impressive bike for a 500 and returns fantastic MPG and I can't imagine an easier bike to ride.
You could ride cross country at 75 mph without a problem.

I have an 2015 F model and I don't find the wind gets bothersome until 85. And even then it's smooth, no buffeting.

#8 ·
I had an appointment to see a nice, used CB500F today, but at the last minute, the seller was a flake. He said he forgot the bank had the title because he still owes money on the bike. Forgot? Geez. So I will keep looking. Thank you all for your replies.

Bumpa

#10 ·
As far as weight, I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs and this can snap my head back from the torque no problem. I commute (freeway) 4 days a week and I have no problems with speed. I like to sit around 74-79mph and it hums right along. But as mentioned, it's about riding style. I'm not looking to get there first, I'm simply looking to get there in one piece. I love this bike and it does get some looks by other bikers and drivers. A windscreen would be nice but I do enjoy it the way it is right now. I think you're gonna like this bike. Good luck in your search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.