Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Handle bar risers?

14K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  mike stockwell 
#1 ·
My hands get numb. Anybody install these. I have the 2015. They are only about $30.

#6 · (Edited)
Moto Werk

Just Google them -- I apparently don't have enough posts to share a link. Weird.

Yes I installed them myself, easy stuff. Instructions are on their website. You'll have to remove one metal strap that holds the brake line and an electrical wire, but it's no big deal -- the instructions show you which one. I had to tilt the front headlight forward to remove a bolt, which wasn't mentioned in the instructions. You may not have to, who knows? I also repositioned a small bracket for the brake line ( it's on the front of the lower triple clamp -- you'll know when you do it ) to give the brake line a little more length since you're raising the bar an inch ( this is not mentioned in the instructions ) -- easy to do, I just rotated the bracket a smidge. Good luck!

Oh..... I also temporarily removed the zip ties when I installed the riser. They're reusable, which I did.

#7 ·
It's amazing how much of a difference an inch can make.

#10 ·
That's always something to consider with different bars or risers, the cables may not be long enough.

Check them first before riding the bike, turn the bar all the way left and right.

You don't want to find out that the throttle cable is too short when doing a U-turn! :eek

#14 ·
Has anyone in the U.K. installed risers? The position is really causing a lot of pain in my hands and periods of numbness. I have arthritis, but it seems to not be an uncommon problem with the bike anyway, so hoping the extra height will take the pressure off.

The Moto Werk ones look great as they are model specific and anonymously fit in rather than replacing the top of the holder. But shipping across the Atlantic is $37.50, with fees and taxes on top of that so likely will be close to £100.

The only ones that work that way in the U.K. seems to be universal ones, so not a seemless fit, and only come in unpainted aluminium.

The BikeMaster ones on Amazon U.S. are only $37.97 including shipping and fees deposit, but are at least in black. So they reluctantly seem to be the best option

Surely other people here, or elsewhere in Europe, must have been in the same position though? Any local recommendations?

Thanks.

#24 ·
Has anyone in the U.K. installed risers? The position is really causing a lot of pain in my hands and periods of numbness. I have arthritis, but it seems to not be an uncommon problem with the bike anyway, so hoping the extra height will take the pressure off.

The Moto Werk ones look great as they are model specific and anonymously fit in rather than replacing the top of the holder. But shipping across the Atlantic is $37.50, with fees and taxes on top of that so likely will be close to £100.

The only ones that work that way in the U.K. seems to be universal ones, so not a seemless fit, and only come in unpainted aluminium.

The BikeMaster ones on Amazon U.S. are only $37.97 including shipping and fees deposit, but are at least in black. So they reluctantly seem to be the best option

Surely other people here, or elsewhere in Europe, must have been in the same position though? Any local recommendations?

Thanks.
You may want to try 'Universal Motorcycle Throttle Assist Wrist Cruise Control Cramp Rest Aid Grip'. Only 7 bucks on eBay and no installation problems. I have a problem with my hands and I was getting worried that I would not be able to ride more than a few Kms but I have two of these and they are great. Take a bit of getting used to but well worth the effort.

Now, if I could just find something to help avoid falling out of my favourite gum trees...

#15 ·
Riser Difference from stock?

For those of you who have added the risers, did you notice any measurable difference (hopefully positive) when you added the rises over what the bike felt like when it was stock?

Would the control cables/brake line stand any higher risers than 1"?

#16 ·
For those of you who have added the risers, did you notice any measurable difference (hopefully positive) when you added the rises over what the bike felt like when it was stock?

Would the control cables/brake line stand any higher risers than 1"?
The brake line definitely won't go more than the 1 inch.

And to get that 1" you will need to remove the clamp that is holding it in place.

jb

#17 ·
I still have not done anything about my bars yet, but yesterday I went on my second ride of the year, 237 miles, and now have a large blister in the middle of my right hand.

My problems are definitely caused by the bike, as a ride last month caused a lump in the same area, and it is where I have felt pain whilst riding the bike. Though the design fault will certainly be me and not the bike!

Like many riders in the U.K. I started out with a 125 and did several thousand miles without problem, but it had slightly higher bars. When I did my training and tests for a full licence on a Yamaha XJ6 I felt the same pain.

The riding position itself feels fine though, and not uncomfortable other than in the hands. So whether a riser will make a helpful difference is probably an individual thing. I would try the bike first and then only add them if they are a problem.

For me, the generic BikeMaster ones work out at £28.24 with standard shipping and fees so I have ordered a set of those. More important right now to just have something than worry about how nice they look.

#20 ·
I am machining my own set of 1" risers. Should have them done this week. However, I thought the grips that came on my CB500F were awful - caused my hands to have to grip too tightly - adding to fatigue and tension, then also, their small diameter was problem as well.

I like the stock grips that came on my '78 BMW R100/7 so I ordered a pair of them and installed last Friday. A huge difference - I don't have to grip so tightly, and the grips are a smaller diameter towards the center of the bike, and a larger diameter towards the ends of the handlebars. This allows me to vary my hand location to allow my fingers to have different positions (smaller dia / larger dia) to give them a break.

I think the change made a huge difference in comfort.

I hope to install my risers by this weekend.

#22 ·
I got my bike about 3 weeks ago, and have added two things that I think are really justified.

One was the front "fender extender" and ...

the other was a set of handlebar risers. I made them myself out of aluminum. Not blackened, but clean aluminum look.

WOW!! What a difference in the feel and the ride with those 1" risers! I had also added a corny extra padding on the seat. But, it was the risers that changed the feel for the better!

#30 ·
I got my bike about 3 weeks ago, and have added two things that I think are really justified.

One was the front "fender extender" and ...

the other was a set of handlebar risers. I made them myself out of aluminum. Not blackened, but clean aluminum look.

WOW!! What a difference in the feel and the ride with those 1" risers! I had also added a corny extra padding on the seat. But, it was the risers that changed the feel for the better!
anyone know on 2022 500x if 30mm risers work ok up and backward; towards rider ? CABLES ALL LONG ENOUGH. I SEE 20MM STRIGHT UP; UP/FWD, 30MM AND 40MM ??

#23 ·
I installed my risers on Friday, but not been out on the bike yet. Snow has come back to London!

No instructions but it was simple to work out everything. Removing the two hex bolts in front of the instrument display allowed the front end to be tilted forward, then you can remove the clamp holding the brake cable. After that it is just out with the old bolts from the bar holder, insert the risers and new bolts, and put everything back together.

I locked the bars both ways and nothing snagged and the throttle and front brake worked. So looking forward to trying it out next week. Hopefully no more hand pain!

The only thing I want to change now is adding some aux lights. I came home at night on an unlit motorway last November and it was a bit terrifying. It definitely needs more output.

The bike already came fitted with a Honda centre stand and heated grips, rear hugger, and touring screen. There were also a pair of folding levers, in red to match the bike, which I installed after snapping the stock brake one! Plus I added the Givi frame and plate for my top box, with a hook up to the stop light.

I did buy a gear indicator, but not sure if I can be bothered installing that as it should not be necessary, and if it is it just means more effort is needing learning the bike! I guess a USB port is always useful too, but my bars are now pretty full.

#25 ·
That was several years ago and I did buy the BikeMaster ones mentioned, which make the ergonomics better but I still had trouble with my hands. So I did as you said, and a cramp aid makes all the difference. As well as being able to hold the throttle position while stretching my fingers, it just allows a looser grip which takes off all the pressure

Oddly my right hand always used to be my worst, which was reflected when riding. But now I seem to have more problems with the left, and that gets quite sore on the bike. I was rather surprised recently to discover my rheumatologist has recommended surgery on a couple fingers. Will see what the consultant says, but maybe that will help?

As for the gum trees, sharper claws? A good scratch is supposed to be good for that.

#26 ·
They keep cutting all the trees down unfortunately.

The other mod that came with my bike were adjustable clutch and brake levers and I think they are also useful as I can tailor each to my hands.

At someone's suggestion, I also bought gloves that don't fight against my fingers or restrict movement. All small things but they add up.

Good luck with the surgery if you go ahead with it.

#27 ·
I ended up with two pairs of the same gloves in different sizes, but never noticed any difference. One does not let me fan my fingers enough, the other a bit too lose, so they have since been replaced. Thought one of them, and I can never remember which it should be, gets carried around as a backup pair.

My bike came with after market adjustable levers too, which must be helping. Though I wish the clutch could be brought in even more, as having to hold the clutch in congested traffic gets painful. And having to get through London on the way home from a day's riding, congestion is unavoidable regardless of the day.

And thanks, I have spoken to the consultant and am now waiting for an appointment for surgery on my middle finger. It did not seem like it would help for the others, but I was told I can ask about other ones later. Apparently the sutures will only need two weeks to heal, so that will not be too long off the bike.

#32 ·
Re the blister guy, if u persist u will develop callouses on yr palms & that will fix the blister issue.....I have big callous on my throttle hand from the bar end.......seriously I'm not taking the piss here, Cheers, Mike. PS/ I'm considering risers but am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.....how much of an issue really is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.