Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

CB500 front fork brace

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 ·
I noticed the front fenders on these bikes offer no support to the front forks. Just ordered a front fork brace on line for 32 bucks off e bay. Most other bikes have a heavy brace built into the front fenders too help with flex.

Just wondering if other folks have purchased a front fork brace, and if it helped out any.

#2 ·
i have seen a discussion about it a while back, which i'm sure you would find if you used the magical "search" function on the forum, either way ...if i remember correctly, they claimed that it improved handling greatly, i wonder how much of that was the placebo effect as it is a subjective thing to perceive ...

btw. these bikes have sort of a"fork brace" it's under the front fairing / mudguard, it's a 2 or 3 mm thick piece of metal in the shape of X held in place with 4 screws (2 on each side) also holding the mud guard in place

#3 ·
I stuck my hand under the front fender and didn't feel anything under there. I may need to check that out a bit better with a mirror and flashlight.

Put a fork brace on a sportster once and the difference on that bike was dramatic. Very noticeable especially on the freeway.

On this bike I would not expect much difference but maybe a slight bit better if anything.

#4 · (Edited)
They do come with one actually as stock. I took mine off when I got the bike because I figured it was pointless. I had heard mixed opinions about it afterwards, some people saying it helps a bit others saying it doesn't. So late summer I put it back on to see if I notice any difference. I didn't. Not at all in fact. My lap times were also a second slower, although I doubt that was because of the brace...but who knows?? If it doesn't feel any different on the track at race pace where the forks see the most loading and flexing applied on them, then it sure as **** won't make a difference for street riding.

Keep in mind that just like all other bikes, the forks are supported in 2 spots at the top in the triple tree and one spot at the very bottom by the axle. I don't see how connecting them in a 4th spot would make any difference. Most sport bikes don't come with fork braces and they're all secured in the same fashion. From what I've heard it's very common on dirt bikes and perhaps other types. Maybe there's a difference in flex between the inverted forks and non-inverted forks?

#5 ·
I take that back. Upon looking around more, I think mine's aftermarket, so the previous owner must've put it on. It looks like this:

However, it did come with this little thin underneath the fender which is stock...if this counts as a fork brace I guess:

#6 ·
I have fitted the identical one as @sbk1198, on purchase it was advertised fora CB400.
It definitely reduces the flex in the front end, **** you could literally see it flex when front wheel is locked into wheel chock and you turn the bars. Added the brace stiffened things up a great deal and just basically feels like your inputs are more precise. For the few coins they go for, I say it's a worthy addition for any canyon carver.

#7 ·
I've only ever installed one fork brace on another bike and on that bike it made a noticeable difference.

I've been riding for many years and raced GP for a few years. I can feel these forks flexing when I get into the twisty stuff. Maybe the brace will help out. 32 bucks...can't really go wrong for the money.

#8 ·
Unfortunately the CBR500 suspension has a lower end suspension package but for a learner or city commuter is reasonable. But you will notice its limitations when you start pushing the bike into corners.

My 2014 CBR500R had the following installed-
GSXR750 rear shock
Fork brace
Race Tech .85 springs
Race Tech emulators
Pre-load adjusters
Steering damper
Sag adjusted correctly
Cost around $700AUD

Recently, I sold my bike and one of the guy's who turned up in support of the buyer had a 2016 CBR500R. He took my bike for test ride and came back grinning from ear to ear. I said "How did it feel compared to your bike"? He said "This bike is amassing. It feels nothing like my bike" What the **** did you do to this bike"

The fork brace on it own will probably not do much at all but I guess for $32.00, it worth a go.

If you intend to keep this bike, investing in a better suspension set up will rewarded you 10 fold.

Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.