New(b) to the Community - First Bike 500F - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New(b) to the Community - First Bike 500F

This past weekend I passed my MSF course and written test, Class M endorsed Drivers License in the mail and just got approved for a loan, its actually happening! Decided I'd be much happier with a 500 as a first bike rather than a little go kart 250/300. Excited to be on the road!
Located in the Kansas City area, if anyone has any tips or whatever on the 500F's let me know as I'm a newb.

2014 500F
Only 1300 Miles
Picked up for $4k
*Only maintenance needed is getting the chain adjusted and taking the bike in to the dealer to fix that dang fuel level sensor recall, free fix anyways lol

Most likely will eventually be getting the typical accessories-
Frame Sliders, Windshield, and who knows. Going to get a feel for the bike first to my liking.

Heres to starting a new way of life and building social acceptance with my family now that I have 2 wheels haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00707_1Bh0aigEEz8_1200x900.jpg (123.1 KB, 20 views)

2014 Honda CB500F - White/Black/Red
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Garage
Welcome.

I hope you got your safety gear also. If you need any, check with http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/
in Smithville, Mo. That may be close to you.

If you read about the 500F, then you have a good idea about accessories.
I use a center stand, a luggage rack (+tailbag) and a windshield.
I tried an engine guard and highway pegs but there was too much vibration so I removed them.

Otherwise the 500F is good to go.

Ride safely,
ooreelaxoo likes this.

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Not gonna lie it was super awkward at first riding on the street with other cars lol being as this was my first time ever experiencing this on a bike. Especially sitting at stop lights I found myself nervous because I didn't want to make a mistake. After riding the bike home about 20mi I started feeling a lot more comfortable with the clutch (a million times better than those MSF bikes) and overall feeling of the bike.

Thanks for the comment ExTex, yea the amount of wind force on your chest after 50mph is pretty intense lol In due time...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Garage
Yes, the 1st time in traffic was intense. It was a long time ago for me, but not forgotten.
Take your time riding and getting extras for the bike. MY list was a mile long and I didn't need most of them.

A good ride is Kansas highway 69. Interstate quality and no traffic.
Go to Ft.Scott some Fall day and enjoy the fort.

Ride Safely,

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM

These are great bikes and you're going to love it the more you ride it. You'll get used to the feeling of the wind pushing on your chest over time and eventually it wont bother you at all. Take your time, get used to the feeling of having cars around you and most of all be safe.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darvoh View Post
This past weekend I passed my MSF course and written test, Class M endorsed Drivers License in the mail and just got approved for a loan, its actually happening!
Welcome! Stay safe, and enjoy the rest of your riding season, as I know things will start really cooling off up there soon!

2014 CBR650F in Millennium Red

"You and your mom are hillbillies! This is a house of learned doctors!"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarrithers View Post
These are great bikes and you're going to love it the more you ride it. You'll get used to the feeling of the wind pushing on your chest over time and eventually it wont bother you at all.
I agree 100% regarding the wind. The first time I took my 500F out I was quite concerned about the wind on my chest. Now I don't even think anything of it, even at high speeds. (130+ km/h) It's a total non-issue after you've been out several times. Many new riders will immediately run out and buy a windshield, which kinda defeats the whole idea of buying a naked bike, in my opinion. Ride it as it is for a month, THEN decide if you still want a windshield. (you likely won't!) In fact I know of many riders who complain of increased buffeting with a windshield.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Nigel-on-Bass and GGeorge like this.

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA
* 2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM

CB300F mirrors, R&G sliders, The2Wheels levers, SupaBrake-II, SJCAM SJ4000 camera, Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag, Oxford paddock stands, Nelson-Rigg cover, Erickson tie-down straps, Taylor33 rim tape, Grip Puppies, kickstand foot, digital thermometer, cable lock, Battery Tender Junior, QDC harness, USB phone charger, Icon gloves, Helmet Hooker, Xelement leather jacket, NexGen boots, HJC CL-17 helmet, chin curtain, dark smoke visor, Pinlock insert
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Garage
I've got a 2016 500F and I purchased a windshield which now sits in the closet. Lot of noise from the darn thing. Much better without it.
Nigel-on-Bass likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha no doubt, cruised for about an hour or so today around the lake and already noticed how much more comfortable I was getting 0-50mph. These are all great tips and I believe the wind wont be such a big deal. Never knew how beautiful an experience it was not having a steel cage around you :P

Just purchased some stuff to burn my wallet-

Kickstand Pad Support, just in case. Thought about doing the center stand but for now this is a much cheaper option...
TUFSKINZ | Motorcycle Gas Tank Protector- Real Carbon Fiber.. Pulled those dang warning labels off the tank today ha much better
Rapid Outer Rim Liner Stripe for Honda CB500F Reflective Red.. for sexyness
Nelson-Rigg CL-1060-S Black Sport Tail/Seat Pack

The real question here is, Tail Tidy kit or nah? haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-26-2016_First Solo Ride.jpg (316.6 KB, 17 views)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:46 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your endorsement.
Here's a little secret. Wheels turning at 6 AM on a Sunday morning and you'll have the roads all to yourself for a few hours. It's a day of rest for the working crowd but a day of fun for you.
Plan ahead to ride some nice country back roads. It's a good way to get comfortable on your bike.
Enjoy.
Jamco and coinneach like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page