Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Longest trip made?

7K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  kdjaec 
#1 ·
What was the longest trip you made while at the same time keeping a relatively good level of comfort? I'm thinking of a 400 mile trip, but not sure if may be too long for the bike. Thanks!

#2 ·
on my cbr500r, 300 miles in a day on surface streets riding along the california coast w/ very little freeway time... it was easy, no fatigue or soreness. i regularly do 150+ miles of canyon runs and don't feel overly tired. longest freeway ride was about 250 miles and it was actually more tiring maybe because it was kinda boring.

#6 ·
800km southern netherlands to basel

300 miles using no motorway in western and central scotland the other week

200 miles is usually enough cos of the seat but you nearly need fuel by then so its no problem

Most miles I've done in one day is 250 miles 7am- 1:00 pm with three stops . Most miles on one trip is 1000 round trip. These bikes can go anywhere happily all day throttle to the stop on the autobahn

#7 ·
I usually stop every 80- 150 miles to rest my hands/grip forefinger & thumb is where the soreness effects me most. With my airhawk with memory foam seat pad my rear doesn't bother me , just palm part around thumb. I even use padded grip covers. Riding a 500F.

#9 ·
Did 430 miles on Sunday. Started a little before 7 am and was home at 9:30pm. Three mountain passes. Temps ranging from the low 50's(F) to low 90's. About 120 of that on freeway. Total riding time was 8+ hours.

I didn't stop too much until the 260 mile mark, which was my destination. Rested for about 4-5 hours. Felt pretty good until my destination, a little achy/tired, heat was a factor by then though. The last couple hours in the evening were tough. Stop and go weekend traffic over a pass with darkness settling in. Mostly my legs and neck were tired from the static positions (needed some highway pegs, lol)

#11 ·
I've not done any long (or even long-ish) rides on my CB. Not enough free time, plus summer in Phoenix. She just hit 300 miles yesterday and I've had her for a month and a half. :(

After the first service, I'm planning on taking her to Sedona the long way 'round. Should be a blast.

*My* longest ride in one day on any bike was 800 miles, Phoenix to Twin Falls ID, on an R1100RT. 650 miles the next day, Twin Falls to Seattle. Epic road trip was epic.

#12 ·
If you're in good physical condition I'd think you could ride as long as you want on the 500F. The ergos are just that good. For me on my 500R my legs start to get stiff at around 300 miles. I'm getting older and my legs get stiff after driving a car that long too though. It's an all day bike for most people.

#13 · (Edited)
@cb500ffff A few simple tips when going on long rides.

1) Wear some padded bicycle lycra instead of underwear; the extra cushioning is a welcome addition, and they are designed for better air circulation in your nether regions. And the lycra acts like compression pants aiding blood circulation.

2) Minimise static riding, i.e. looong highway stints in the same position. If you can, break it up with sections that go on roads with corners that gets you moving. If you must do highway, get in the habit of every 15mins or so shifting your body on the seat simulating going around corners. Numbness comes from infrequent movement, so the more you move, the better the circulation, and the more alive you'll feel at the end of the journey.

3) Blink. Might seem like, "well der"; but focusing on the fixed point ahead is just as bad as stearing at a computer screen, and our body just goes to auto-pilot forgetting to blink. You eyes get lubricated whenever you blink, dry eyes will make you feel worn out, so make sure to consciously blink from time to time.

ride safe and enjoy the experience.

#14 ·
:grin: I did 1500 in 2 1/2 days. Neck was sore for a day or so afterward from wearing my helmet for so long, but had no problem on the bike at all. Beautiful drive...the entire Blue Ridge Parkway north to south, then around the Great Smokey Mountains and then up the Tail of the Dragon. The last bit to home was all interstate.

#15 ·
On other bikes have done some very long days. Have done a couple thousand miles days and countless 600 to 800 mile days.

Went coast to coast 2 round trips, so 4 trips across the entire country, would do those from 4 to 6 day trips one way across.

I've found best thing is to keep moving around back and forth on the seat, take 100 mile breaks, when you get off the bike take a little walk and bend and stretch.

Only problem I've had on those long trips, RAIN!!, I don't care what time of year you do those rides, you will hit rain.

So make sure you have good rain gear and a really good jacket with the air flow zippers.

Thing I like about it is that the only thing you think about all day are the gas stops and chow stops. I would often try to combine those, easy to do on the interstates.

Doing it by yourself, about the loneliest feeling in the world. (although other people can drive you nuts, prefer alone, I can deal with lonely easily ) On the other hand it will make you appreciate a kind friendly interaction with folks once you find the camp grounds, I always stay at the KOA's. Those pools in the summer are a great relief. Don't like motels, I find them a risk for bike theft. On a trip thousands of miles from home, don't like getting too far from the bike. Just one of my insecurities.

#18 ·
I just completed a 3,200 mile camping trip on my CBR500R. It was surprisingly comfortable! The longest day for miles was about 425 and the average was between 250-325. I was lucky to hardly touch an interstate freeway and it is very true about how much easier it is to ride corners where you can move your body and vary your throttle input vs. holding a steady speed in a straight line. The bike handles high speed cruising with lots of gear on the back as well as open range gravel road and dirt trail rides! ; ) I would feel confident and comfortable taking the 500 cross country any time.

Enjoy your adventures and appreciate how fun, reliable, and economical these bikes are for light sport touring! : )

Reactions: sonicboom
#19 ·
I did a 1,200 mile trip this summer. Columbus, Ohio to St. Ignace, MI to Traverse City, MI and back. I could not done that trip without the Puig windscreen AND the Airhawk seat cushion. Awesome trip, and I would definitely do it again, next time I will bring a beach towel, because there are so many beaches to stop for a quick swim and relax.
Oh, and going over the Mackinac Bridge on a bike is very surreal!

Attachments

#24 ·
I just returned from a 300 mile trip from Nashville to the Alabama state border via the Natchez Trace. Absolutely beautiful ride. I am 6'2" and my knees are sore from the bend in my leg combined with the knee guards in my riding pants, and I'm a bit sore in my backside. However, the bike handles that kind of riding beautifully.

#25 ·
I've done an 8 hour, 600km round trip a few times before, but heading down to Victoria shortly so that'll be 2000km over 2 days, then back again 2 days later. I was initially quite excited about this adventure, but it's becoming a little more daunting as the date approaches. Fatigue doesn't worry me, but butt discomfort is a major concern! Shoulda got the Corbin seat...

#26 ·
I'm thinking if do a round trip from gainesville, florida to michigan city, indiana to see my friends with my car or my cb500f... Almost 1100 miles each way...

#28 ·
Just got back from a trip return Brisbane to Melbourne and back, 4200km total over 5 days (only 4 days of actual travel). Was pretty comfortable for the whole ride, which was unexpected. Only a bit of a sore right shoulder, inner thigh from sitting for too long, and some frostbite on the fingertips! Got caught in the rain both days on the way down there, which put a bit of a dampener on the MotoGP we went to see, but the race, then the ride back on Monday/Tuesday, was very pleasant.

#29 ·
Well i did one trip around 12 hours with all my stops. I crossed three states in brazil, basically I started in my city são leopoldo and went to curitiba one city located at state of paraná.

In this trip I rode in the coast at south region of brazil

Nowadays i am living at Curitiba, my motorcycle I bought in my home town!

See yah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.