Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2016 cB500F first service 600 miles

12K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  Scoot 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Id like to get some opinions on what kind of first service did you receive. I believe the 2016 is different from previous models, meaning less service is needed.

How much did it cost? Looking especially for those living in California.

If you take it to a different mechanic, will it void the warranty?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I had the Pit Pass on mine, which paid for the oil and filter. It cost me $81.78 out the door. I wondered if they really did check the valves, until I noticed that about a quarter of a tank of gas was missing. I figured it was lost when they pulled the tank to get to the valves. I usually do all my own maintenance on my bikes, but I let the dealer do the 600 mile service so I'll have documentation in the event of a warranty claim in the future.

#18 ·
I wonder why you would change oil viscosity from the one Honda recommends?

#26 ·
If you are not technically inclined, don't have the tools or the time to do it yourself, then that's what the dealer is for.
But since some of them see a chance to rip you off it's sort of a gamble. Also I can do in fifteen minutes what the dealer charges me an hour of labor for.
I do most of it myself because I like to do it, I want to see first hand how my machine is doing; if I mess up a thread or scratch the paint it's my fault, plus I know there is no hidden damage which occurred when the inexperienced mechanic screwed up and the shop doesn't want to own up to it.

Reactions: coinneach and Jamco
#8 ·
They change oil,tighten chain, lube cables, check/ adjust idle, check all bolts for being loose,brake fluid check not needed,coolant check & so on!! $283.00 sounds $ $60.00 too much. When I bought my 500f they told me 600 mile service would be $225.00 but I change my oil myself & cost only $150.00 The cost could be more for a CBR because of any faring removal .

#10 ·
Considering I just did my first oil change and chain scrub/lube/slack check myself in 30 minutes including cleanup, 2 hours sounds like padding, especially when the service techs work on these bikes all day and should have it down to a science.

#25 ·
You can do about everything that needs to be done yourself until the first valve check which is due at 24,000 km.
It's all in the owner's manual that comes with the bike; lots of small jobs you just inspect, then lubricate, adjust or replace.
My CRF has 30,000 km on the clock after three years and I never changed coolant, brake pads, brake fluid or replaced chain and sprockets, but all that has to be done in the next 10,000 km or so. It depends on how you ride and in what conditions.
You can adjust the clutch lever and throttle cable play (if necessary) and of course you have to change the oil and adjust the chain slack, but apart from that there isn't anything major to do. Go over nuts and bolts every once in a while so the engine won't fall out of the frame. :)
Maybe replace the air filter around 12K km and again at 24K, especially if you live in Asia.

Reactions: eds
#30 ·
My dealer charges an arm and a leg - $200 plus - for first service. I've maintained my last 5 or 6 bikes. You'll eventually acquire an impressive number of tools, but at least for me the do-it-yourself route is still much cheaper.

I do take my wheels in for new tire swaps. Buy tires at Revzilla, drop off the wheels and new tires t the service department, and pick up the next day for around $100 for the front and rear. The wheels are properly balances and the rims don't get scratched up.

#31 ·
I did my own oil and filter change last week (641 miles) . Fortunately it uses the same KN 204 oil filter that my Triumph Bonneville does.
I won't be taking it to the dealer untill it's time to do the valves.

#32 ·
It's a shame that there are so many bike shops that rip people off. I like to think that the work I do at the dealership I wrench at is reasonably priced. I have no issue with people wanting to wrench on their bikes, but when they mess something up then come in crying about warranty, that's when I'm pretty quick to point out that if you're not comfortable with it, let the pros do it. Often times when I see a bike that is in for regular maintenance, I will go the extra mile to help out in a situation that may not be warranty and work to get it covered. I cannot comment on what others charge for their first check, or what they do, but I k ow when I'm doing one I go above and beyond changing the oil and filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.