Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Safe at high revs

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  hairnet 
#1 ·
Was in a rush to work yesterday and I was riding about 7,000rpm all the way and I was just wondering is it safe on the bike to do this? Done it for about 10-15 mile slowing down to 70 at some points.

Is this bad for the engine or can this bike handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Should be fine. There is a rev limiter if you go too high so you can't over-rev. Don't forget that Honda makes some engines that are designed to run between 10,000 to 14,000 rpm

Reactions: AlexBates
#3 ·
Honda engines are designed to operate for long periods of time at high RPMs.
Personally, I would vary the RPMs some, but you did that too.

As long as you were riding safely, your Honda can handle it.

#4 ·
These engines are designed for it. As long as your oil and oil level are up to snuff you did no harm.
I am mechanically sympathetic so I don't like to rev the snot out of an engine but remember that lugging it at to low of an RPM can damage the engine probably worse.
My ZRX1200 has a relatively low 10,500 RPM redline. At 10,000 RPM it runs as smooth as glass. Though I only did it once just to see.
I had a 600cc sport bike with a 14,000 RPM redline and you had to run it at 8 or 9,000 regularly to get it to move.

#5 ·
I am mechanically sympathetic so I don't like to rev the snot out of an engine but remember that lugging it at to low of an RPM can damage the engine probably worse.
Blipco, how does lugging damage the engine? I am curious because Honda recommends shifting at ridiculously low speeds... I have never shifted at these recommended numbers, but I would imagine that to do so, the motor must be lugging somewhat.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

#9 ·
This bike is happy everywhere in the rev range up to redline for however long you want. Honda engineering is among the best there is. Their prelaunch testing is rigorous. Long periods of high speed high rev riding would have been thoroughly tested before putting this bike into showrooms.

Reactions: Thump
#10 ·
I've just now taken my CB on the highway for the first time. While it is capable of highway speeds it is no highway bike.
The highway I was on has a posted speed of 65 MPH, which means the cars of course travel at speeds of 80-85 MPH in some areas, which means that to ride safely you must have a bike capable of being able to get away from unruly drivers at those speeds. The little CB cannot.
Sure, with a top speed of over 100, it can ride at 85 but it is nearly out of breath. Not good if you find you need to boogie and not good for the motor if you do this frequently for extended periods of time.

My other bike is a ZRX 1200, at 85 you twist the throttle to get away from a pack of a-hole cars and they disappear into the background.

Now having said that, am I glad I bought it? Yes.
The biggest problem I'm having with it right now is I'm not riding my beloved ZRX.
The CB is a great bike and a hoot to ride. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

#13 ·
I've had no trouble on Rte 128 or 93. Mostly I take back roads, though, because I find highways boring :grin:

But I can totally see how a 1164cc machine would have more reserve for high speed slab stuff.

#15 ·
the cbr500 can handle 7000rpm no problem what-so-ever. my 500 is only ever ridden on track, its done the last 3000km of its life at 7000 -9200 rpm. I pretty much hit the rev limiter in every gear. on the long straights I hit the rev limiter in top 3 or 4 times before braking for turn 1.
ten minutes at 7000rpm on a road bike is a doddle for this engine, dont worry.

So long as it was fully up to temp, your oil level is correct and you use good oil. I run mine on Spectro Platinum fully synthetic 10w40, or Castrol Power 1 racing 5w40. and with a Hi-Flo HF204RC racing oil filter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.