Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2013 CB 500FA service and service intervals. What have/are you doing?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  morkys 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't have my manual handy. Could somebody point me to the service intervals for my 13 CB 500FA? I'm a second owner at 12,000 KM. It's had it's first service and an oil change last season.

What service are most people doing?

Also, I can't find my service manual right now. Does it have the recommended service and intervals listed or do I need to find that elsewhere?

#5 ·
For starters, lube the chain; that's an oft-neglected item.

If I understand you correctly (1st service completed on schedule long ago and the oil changed again last year), it's definitely time for a brake fluid flush. Same goes for the coolant, and I'd change the oil and filter as well. Just get a boat load of the necessary crush washers right now so that you'll have them when you need them; they're cheap and will help prevent accumulating damage to threads when tightening to spec. The oil drain plug washers will always be in stock, but the dealerships around here never have the coolant drain plug washers in stock.
Start keeping an eye on brake pad thickness, as they could be starting to get thin (up front, especially) if the previous owner rode hard and braked hard.
Check the throttle and clutch lever play, too.

Here's a non-us English pdf version of the owner's manual:
http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php/185

Enjoy

#6 ·
change oil every six k - four is far too not enuff unless its all city

lube clean chain every other week adjust if done tons of miles

lube cables every 3 months

check for pad wear same if doing mileage check more

valve check - never done/needed one on a modern honda - put 25k on a new 919 in 2003 and the next owner checked them and within spec

dealer - i dont need your steenking dealer :D

brake fluid flush depends on the colour

#7 ·
On those bucket shim valve adjustments. I've got 47,000 on my Triumph Bonneville, have checked and they are within spec. I've never had to adjust those shims on any bucket shim bike as of yet. Check them but it's rare to ever need to move a couple shims around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.