Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Water pump replacement

18K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  sonicboom 
#1 ·
Well my bike is almost three years old and the water pump needs replacement. The weep hole has a minor drip not significant enough to impact on the coolant level however not a good sign. $145 replacement from Honda in Brisbane apparently there is a two week back order. At lease Thailand's not that far from Australia. So how many other owners have had this issue. My mechanic stated that if its dripping its a sign that the seals or something is on the way out. I will be replacing it bummer. The bike has 17300 Km mainly just commute to work and back.2013 CB500F model.

#7 ·
My pump has been replaced twice now....1 at 7k miles and again at 16000 miles. Luckily under warranty, but a week and half down each time..... Both started as a slight drip, then just starting dumping shortly after. There is definitely something wrong with the pumps they are using.

#8 ·
Seems like only four people on this forum of 26,000+ members have had water pump issues. That is hardly an indication that there's a problem with the pumps Honda is using.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: Karl Hungus
#9 ·
Yes, may be you are correct however people need to be aware of the issue. I would have never noticed the weep hole dripping slightly as the drips drop on to the plastic cowling and is difficult to pick up. The coolant level as stated previously doesn't appear to drop significantly so unless you get down and look under your bike and locate the weep hole you probably wouldn't notice it until the seal goes completely and dumps everything. I like the bike and I find these forums a great source of info to prevent and keep a watch on suspected problems. So I hope this info helps with maintaining a mechanically sound machine. Stay upright

#14 ·
Mine's been leaking a tiny amount for at least a year, and as I think I mentioned earlier I had assumed it was just in need of a gasket, but after seeing your post I looked a little closer.

Does this look like what yours was doing? I didn't know there was a hole there before.

#16 ·
I forgot to mention I had a service completed along with the replacement of the water pump, all up I paid $425. I didn't go to Honda as my bike is no longer under warranty I hate to think how much Honda would have charged me. We get severely ripped down this way.

#17 ·
I've owned about a hundred used vehicles and only had to replace the water pump on my '73 Buick LeSabre.

Ever.

#21 ·
Honda states: Careful flow analysis of the cooling system resulted in a water pump that’s small and lightweight, yet still more than capable of keeping the engine running its best at high output levels.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the failures? A smaller water pump.

#22 ·
Honda states: Careful flow analysis of the cooling system resulted in a water pump that’s small and lightweight, yet still more than capable of keeping the engine running its best at high output levels. I wonder if that has anything to do with the failures? A smaller water pump.
Sounds like BS marketing, not engineering. The statement itself doesn't even make sense. I'm expecting to find blown bearings when I get the old unit out.

#23 ·
I wouldn't worry about the size - the Japanese built their whole industry on making things smaller and work better!

Then again, maybe you guys know more about water pumps than Honda's engineers.

Ha, take that!

#24 ·
I think its more the build quality, especially coming out of Thailand. The mechanic I use is very reliable old school, he basically said to me that he has had to replace parts on some newer bikes that shouldn't need replacing so earlier in their lifespan. With the short warranty period only two years, I should have taken out an extended warranty to late now. I still like the CB500F its really no different to all the manufacturers these days they all seem to have recalls. I guess its a matter of researching and staying pro-active with the mechanical upkeep of our bikes. Forums like these are a big help to me especially as I fall in to the amateur category on mechanical things LOL

#25 · (Edited)
Lots of opinions on the build quality, some people think that if it's made in Thaialnd it can't be as good as made in Japan.
But assembling bikes is an automated procedure, and with supervision and quality control the products should be top quality, no matter in which country the factory is.
Of course the Japanese knew that if the quality sucks then people won't buy the bikes; this is a major reason for the Japanese to make sure the quality is up to snuff. They wouldn't invest millions in a new plant and then have to close it a few years later.
This is not only what I believe. I bought a 110cc Honda in 2001 and had it for nine years during which I put 70K km on the bike - never a problem! Besides the ususal things like tires, brakes and fluids I had to replace only one spark plug which was overdue anyways.
In 2013 I bought a CRF250M, by now it's three years old and has 30K km on the clock; it runs like new and I haven't even replaced the brake pads, brake fluid or chain and sprockets.
All small bikes here in Thailand from 100 to 150cc, there are literally millions of them on the streets, plus the bigger ones available here, are assembled here, and I haven't found any difference in quality to bikes sold in the US. Some people point out bad welds or have other minor complaints, but I do not worry about buying a Honda - no matter if it's made in Thailand, India, in Spain or Brazil. After all, I save a bundle of money and that should count for something!

#27 ·
I'm sorry I didn't keep the link for reference, but I found some discussions on boards in other countries that were talking about known QC issues between parts suppliers from multiple countries. Supposedly someone knew someone in a Thai factory or something. IIRC it basically came down to some differences in how certain suppliers interpreted part tolerances.... something, something, as much as 30% in some cases.

#29 ·
Every new model has teething problems, may they be assembled in Japan or elsewhere. But some people confuse "assembled" in Thailand, India, Brazil or wherever with "Made in" those countries.
Big difference!
I think if people wouldn't know where the bike was assembled they wouldn't notice a thing, but when people hear Thailand or Vietnam they expect a difference, like: "It can't be as good, can it?" and suddenly the welds look cheap.
As long as I save some serious coin I don't mind it being assembled on the moon!
I'm from Europe and have spent more than half of my life abroad; I've lived ten years in the US and now I live in Thailand. I'm not very patriotic, so don't worry about taking shots - as long as they are fair! :)

#31 ·
hey new guy here. according to the US version of the service manual, a small amount of coolant "weeping" thru the bleed hole is normal, as long as is not a continuous leak while the engine is operating. page 8-10, top of the page. I think is worth a look before buying a new pump that one might not need.

#32 ·
They may say that, but has anyone ever own any other vehicle of any kind where this was normal? Reminds me of the stuff my home builder said to to get out of a bunch of defects... very little of these claims actually held up when people who knew better challenged them.

#33 ·
1. Weep hole leakage

Appearance: The pump's internal mechanical seal seals the shaft towards the cooling circuit, protecting the bearings by preventing coolant from passing into the bearing assembly. When a water pump is new, some seepage from the weep hole is normal as it takes about ten minutes of operation for the mechanical seal to properly seat itself (break-in period). More pronounced seepage and drips from the weep hole after this break-in period or a large coolant bleed mark around the weep hole are abnormal and indicate impending water pump failure.

My bike was leaking from the weep hole for how long I don't know but the plastic section was covered in a white substance which appeared to be the coolant drying after weeping. After the bike was stop coolant continued to leak out only slowly which stated above is abnormal of course it eventually stopped.

#36 ·
When i start my 2016 cold. I'm getting some coolent leak out that weep hole. Once the bike warms up it stops. 19,000 miles on the bike. So at what point should this pump be replaced? My shop manual mention some leakage out the weep hole normal. This one very weird thing. Never have had a water pump leak on any vehicles owned, car or bike. Heck i owned vehicles 45 years old with the original water pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.