Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Yoshi R77 Baffle Wtf

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  itsjonduhh 
#1 ·
hi, just bought a 2015 with ABS this week and tried to fit on the R77 last night. i'm sure i'm not the only one, but after trolling the web for my issue no one seems to have it.

looks like there's a metal dowel where the nut is supposed to go in the exhaust. i've heard it's a tight fit - but this is completely in the way and hammering the baffle past it will damage it.

all the other videos/pics i've seen feature a hole... mine is filled. check the uploaded pic and please tell me i'm dumb :p

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
leave out the baffle :D

what does that part of the outside of the can look like?

i agree with the hole just watching one and hes got all the parts laid out on a table and was showing the hole in the end cap and putting a rubber bung in it so maybe yours isnt made correctly

#5 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies, guys.

i just might leave it out for now, i'm impatient :grin:

on the outside there's a rubber grommet that has the yoshi logo on it. i tried prying it out with my fingers but it's really in there. i don't dare take a screw driver to the CF...

at this point it's like when you're putting together furniture and you can't find a part and immediately go "oh great, they messed up at the factory" but then you find it and feel dumb/relieved. ha i'm hoping it's like that this time too.

So which R77 version did you buy ... street and signature series? You might have purchased the signature 'cause on those baffle can't be removed.
i bought the street version. it came with the silencer baffle and instructions too. nothing about knocking out anything.

Are you referring to where the screw would go to hold in the baffle? You need to take a drill bit or something small enough and punch it out. A few taps with a hammer will do it. Point the muffler downwards so that it falls out rather than in.

Another tip, the screw used for the battle is really small and it doesn't hold with a lot of threads. I used a bit of blue lock tite when I installed the baffle just for good measure.
thanks, am i punching it out from the inside of the can? i tried chipping it out with a flathead and a hammer, but it didn't budge. i'm assuming i need to find a way to get the rubber grommet off the outside of the can and hammer down into it?

#4 · (Edited)
Are you referring to where the screw would go to hold in the baffle? You need to take a drill bit or something small enough and punch it out. A few taps with a hammer will do it. Point the muffler downwards so that it falls out rather than in.

Another tip, the screw used for the battle is really small and it doesn't hold with a lot of threads. I used a bit of blue lock tite when I installed the baffle just for good measure.

#6 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IZgALrtjw

theres this guy :D

if you like watching boxes being unpacked watch it all :D if not skip to 10.30

he mentions the bung and the hole

ps watch it till the end ROFL

after seeing the gsxr laid out video and this and a coupla others id say you should take yours back to the shop for exchange

from the inside (your pic) it looks like the screw has been fitted without the baffle, but if you think you cant get it out without damage take it to the shop and ask them to remove/exchange

for 500 usd id be wanting it perfect (theyre 750usd here) - im buying leo vince or delkevic shorty for less than 200 usd delivered - havent decided yet

going to ireland again next weekend :D

#9 ·
thanks for the help everyone! i also reached out to yoshi's tech team and they confirmed the rubber grommet comes out (with a lot of force) and the hole needs to be drilled through. i said screw that and listened to you guys and cautiously punched it out from the outside with a flathead and a hammer.

love the exhaust now. it's still a very new bike to me, but now it's an even better riding experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-IZgALrtjw

theres this guy :D

after seeing the gsxr laid out video and this and a coupla others id say you should take yours back to the shop for exchange

from the inside (your pic) it looks like the screw has been fitted without the baffle, but if you think you cant get it out without damage take it to the shop and ask them to remove/exchange

for 500 usd id be wanting it perfect (theyre 750usd here) - im buying leo vince or delkevic shorty for less than 200 usd delivered - havent decided yet

going to ireland again next weekend :D
haha watched the whole thing the other day... nothing about the baffle! from the clips it doesn't look like he installed it all the way in either.

i agree, for $500+ i shouldn't have to risk destroying it with a hammer :p

Step 1: Remove old exhaust, save OEM bracket bolt

Step 2: Install R77, using OEM bracket bolt

Step 3: Throw included baffle into proper waste receptacle

Step 4 (optional): put your factory exhaust on eBay and pick up an easy hundred bucks
haha i'd love to do step 3, but i really enjoy the sound with the baffle in.

Does yours have a rubber grommet on the wheel-side of the muffler? (The R77 on my Fazer has this). If so, pull that grommet out and you can use a drift punch to pound that little plug out from the outside.

I had to file and sand my baffle to get it to fit properly. It was very tight and would become wedged and almost impossible to remove without removing some material from it.

Slide the baffle in, install the screw through the hole from which you removed the grommet, then install the grommet.

The baffle is the only thing about my Yoshi that I dislike.
yup! rubber grommet was slightly destroyed in the process. it's fitted in upside down now ha.

i did exactly that once i committed to getting the grommet out. then used a small flat head and hammer to punch it out. it was detached by a little more than half, so i just used pliers to twist and break off the rest. lucky for me there was no need for filing. also this is much easier with 2 people.

never thought the baffle would be such a pain...

#8 ·
Does yours have a rubber grommet on the wheel-side of the muffler? (The R77 on my Fazer has this). If so, pull that grommet out and you can use a drift punch to pound that little plug out from the outside.

I had to file and sand my baffle to get it to fit properly. It was very tight and would become wedged and almost impossible to remove without removing some material from it.

Slide the baffle in, install the screw through the hole from which you removed the grommet, then install the grommet.

The baffle is the only thing about my Yoshi that I dislike.

#10 ·
I never had a problem getting baffles in or out - can it be that some slip-ons are made in a way so that the baffle can't be removed because of local laws or something?

#12 ·
:(

well, that was fun while it lasted. some low-lives stole it off my bike from my apartment... they left the midpipe though. my 6am ride to work today was nice and obnoxious.

#13 ·
sorry to triple post - does anyone have the size of the bolt and nut for the bracket assembly? i still have my stock exhaust and may need to put that back on sooner or later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.