Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Should I wait for the 2015 Model?

11K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
About to pull the trigger on a 2014 500F (pearl white), but have tried convincing myself to wait until next season (tough to ride during MN winters). I can't find any info out there about updates to the the 2015 models, so I'm assuming they will be minor, if any at all.

Is there any way to verify this?

#7 ·
Cool, just got all my financial stuff in order, just need to to go make the purchase. Probably would've gone with the '14 500X ABS Pearl White - but no dealers in my area have any in stock. Also, it's tough to justify that extra grand for essentially the same bike.

#9 ·
You can pull the trigger now and start riding, or if you can wait, then go for when the 2015 comes out and maybe get a price reduction on the '14 because it's "last year" model and it's cold season. But waiting sucks I know.

#19 ·
Maybe in 2015 they will announce new colors for 2016...

Reactions: davey
#21 ·
Honda USA site now shows only black and silver for the 2015 R, both with or without ABS.

A little surprising they aren't going to offer an R with an actual "color" for 2015, not even red.

#22 ·
I wonder if anybody can clarify something for me, the bike I am looking at is a Honda CB500FA, it has a plate of 04/14, I had a look at most of the bikes on the floor they are all complianced/built in mid 2014 yet they claim these have only been delivered in the past month or so.

The dealer claimed its a Honda thing that these are 2015 bikes but they all have last years plate. I asked prior to today about wether they had any 2014 run out bikes and was told no these are all 2015 bikes. Its a bit confusing, does anyone have inside knowledge into the workings of Honda.

#25 ·
... Its a bit confusing, does anyone have inside knowledge into the workings of Honda.
I don't have inside knowledge into the workings of Honda but I know that a salesperson will tell you about anything to make a sale.
Telling some story why a 4/14 bike should be a 15 model is right up their alley.
But hey, we all have to make a buck, right?

#23 ·
My 2014 has a date of 02/14. But didn't they change the graphics on the F for 2015, that might be one way to tell?

#26 ·
Thump you are very correct hence why I got onto Honda Australia, who confirmed first that it was a 2015 bike, but then called back and said it was a 2014 bike.

He went on to say that it being 04/14 make it was the latest imported CB500F bike currently selling in Australia. They confirmed it was a 2015 delivery to the dealer.

Australia is a very small market and we kind of get what we get is the situation.

#27 · (Edited)
He went on to say that it being 04/14 make it was the latest imported CB500F bike currently selling in Australia. They confirmed it was a 2015 delivery to the dealer.
If it is stamp 04/14 on the compliance plate = 2014 Build Date.
In VIC, the official age of a vehicle is based on the Build Date stamped on the compliance plate. Legally, the bike is 1yo and that's what it is worth officially, regardless of when it was actually sold or 1st registered. That is why there is always a "201x plate sale" at the start of the year (at a lower price, because it is already 1yo officially and worth less on the books). If the distributor or dealer holds on to the old stock for too long, they will need write-off depreciation of its value. How does it affect you? Insurance value and resale value.

The Model of the vehicle is different, it is part of the VIN number. E=2014 F=2015 model. Model usually change over late in the year.
e.g. 2014 Honda xxxx MY15 (Build Date 2014. VIN Model F=2015).

Note: Different country (or state) have different laws.

#28 ·
eds agree with what you are saying, however Honda themselves claimed there are no F vin numbers in the CB500F in Australia, they claim that this is the latest selling import in Australia.

A car in a last year plate sale you would expect to get maybe a 20-25%, discount bikes don't seem to work the same way.

I got the bike for a good price $6972 ride away but still a little unhappy its a 2014 plate bike as It was not disclosed as such through the negotiation stage, it wasn't actually disclosed until I had raised the issue after signing the paperwork and paying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.