Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Honda OEM saddlebags w/stays

43K views 79 replies 31 participants last post by  GlenAnderson 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to upload a couple pictures for a while now, but haven't found the time to sit down and write a post here. Just been too busy riding! :D (and working, d'oh). :honda

I invested in a set of the Honda OEM saddlebag mounts and matching bags which were designed and advertised for the CB500F. It looks like Honda used the same frame and mounting points for the CBR500R, so all of the bolts lined up nicely with the factory mounting equipment.

The saddlebag stays are a nice powder coated matte gray/black finish. They replace the factory passenger grab handles and have a set of handles built into the tubing (see pictures attached). They're a pretty beefy set of mounting points, bolting to the upper frame, the passenger footpeg mounting points, and then a cross member goes between the stays. The hardware is definitely beefy, once it is bolted down and tightened, it doesn't have any flexing or looseness to it.

Much the same can be said about the saddlebags. They are in a sort of flat black finish, ABS plastic with four rubber-lined mounting points. The saddlebags have a full-length rubber gasket and appear to be mostly waterproof. The bags sit on top of the stays and are locked in place with a nice stainless steel metal latch. Each saddlebag has its own locking cylinder to keep your belongings safe, as well as serving as a lock/release for the saddlebags to the mounting hardware. The cylinders have another nice touch, they come with a keying kit so you don't have to rely on the dealer to set up the cylinder. It comes with a couple dozen pins and instructions which lets you use your OEM key for the saddlebags. Really nice touches for the saddlebags.

Capacity for the bags is good, but not excellent. The saddlebags will not fit a full-face helmet, but they have more than ample capacity for a backpack, two sets of boots, or a combination of smaller luggage and contents. I've taken the bike on about a dozen trips since I've had them and found they hold the contents of approximately 2 backpacks worth. Plus, there is still room on the passenger seat to mount an additional bag and strap it down with bungee cords. I might try the Honda OEM topcase down the line, but right now, the saddlebags have more than ample storage for day trips.

Awesome stuff if you are looking to turn your bike into a sport-tourer. Its nice being able to toss stuff in the bags, lock them, then ride away, no backpack required :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion as well as clear photos of how they look. I believe I will be sticking with the backpack for now because I like the look of the bike without rear cargo set ups.

#6 · (Edited)
Hello friends :) Uploaded a ton of new pictures. All of the mounting hardware, a couple closeups of the lock mechanism, and a picture of the side case when its open. The case was dirty when I took the picture, haven't had the time (or interest, lol) in cleaning them every time I put my spare boots in the case.

As far as capacity goes, full helmet not quite :( Tried to slip my helmet in the case at some interesting angles, even with the face-shield down/off, still no luck. You'd probably need to go with something even larger for side cases, or probably a top case would have even more room.

Attachments

#9 ·
Good Photos. I really like the look of the side panniers do you mind if I ask how much they cost? also do you feel any difference while riding do they cause any drag.

Thanks.
Thanks mate :) IIRC, the saddlebag mounts were $300.00 with the new key cylinders and re-keying hardware and the saddlebags themselves were $500.00 for the pair. Shipping cost included, in US dollars.

Once the bags are on the bike and locked down, you don't even feel them when you're riding. Absolutely zero wobble, the hardware is definitely locked down, doesn't cause any issues with riding. Doesn't seem to affect gas mileage either, I haven't seen a drop since I installed them and put a few tanks through the bike.

#11 ·
Well, for my last bike, I bought a set of inexpensive soft-fabric saddlebags, I think they were Chase Harper with some kind of 1680D ballistic nylon. They were supposedly weather and anti-UV treated, but I couldn't even get 1 season out of them. I only left my bike out a day or two during the week when I didn't have time/energy to properly stow it away in the garage. After one year, the bags were entirely not useable. Way too much fading on the fabric, even the black paint on the zippers and tags were faded out. The bags didn't seem extraordinarily good or bad out of the box, they just didn't have any lasting qualities whatsoever. I think I paid $150.00 with the cost of shipping for them.

So for my shiny Honda CBR500R, I decided to spend a little more and get something quality instead of cheaping out :) Better spending a chunk of change for high-quality bags, rather than a smaller amount for a piece of junk.

#13 ·
Thanks bro :D

To the best of my knowledge, you need 2 separate types of mounting hardware for the sidecases and the topcase. IE, I'm pretty sure the topcase requires a flat mounting spot above the rear fairing (wouldn't want to scratch that up).

Reactions: GoKidd
#21 · (Edited)
Honda's method of listing accessories for these bikes is really pretty crappy. Whoever they have keeping this stuff updated should be fired.

For example, the website lists many accessories for the 2013 models, and way fewer for the 2014 models - even though the accessories for both years are essentially the same.

#24 ·
I got mine and love them for long travel

I have the stays and hard bags.

The Cylinder kit was a pain since it has been a long time since I had to do such and the instructions suck.

So for those needing help send message and I will help your way to do it. You do not need a lock smith.

I will post pics tomorrow in day light after my ride into work.

All that is left is the taller windshield install and the LED tail light. Just to lazy to do such right now.

I can not wait to test on my next trip. I think In a few weeks I am heading out for a quick camp trip on a weekend. Not decided where yet. Twin Falls Idaho, North Rim or South Rim, Bodie state park .....Again undecided.

#31 ·
It fits my work laptop dell Latitude E6440 just fine and swims in the bag 15". however, M17XR4 Alien Wear laptop does not fit getting in and out. The bag has the right dimensions just not able to fit in the narrow parts with out struggle.

The Motorcentric I have is a bit better to get the Alien in but It is still very tight and struggle.

each tail bag expands wide and I have tried to get my Alien in a few times for road trips. I finally gave up and just take my Galaxy tablet. Less weight and much smaller.

#36 ·
on the way.

ordered my bags/hardware Saturday. should be here by thurs. Can't wait. VERY pricey at $950.... but I intend to use the bike a lot. plus the increased utility they lend the bike and the relative security of the locking hard bags should be worth it in the long haul. On my rides [aka mini adventures] I like to get off the bike a lot and explore new places. so, it will be nice knowing I can carry more stuff, more securely....

#37 ·
ordered my bags/hardware Saturday. should be here by thurs. Can't wait. VERY pricey at $950.... but I intend to use the bike a lot. plus the increased utility they lend the bike and the relative security of the locking hard bags should be worth it in the long haul. On my rides [aka mini adventures] I like to get off the bike a lot and explore new places. so, it will be nice knowing I can carry more stuff, more securely....
Excellent. That is why I went with them. You will be happy with them. Look forward to some pics.

#39 ·
picked my bags/stays this evening. due to work, it will be a few days until I have them installed. i'll try to post some pic's of them on. should look pretty good on a black bike. MAY cough up the $300+ big ones for the painted cover for the bags eventually. preaching to the choir, but why does everything associated with motorcycles have to cost an arm and a leg....?

#40 · (Edited)
MAY cough up the $300+ big ones for the painted cover for the bags eventually.
Save yourself some money and take them to a paint shop. They can do just the part covered by that color-matched Honda cover, or paint the entire bag, which I think gives them a classier look.

...why does everything associated with motorcycles have to cost an arm and a leg....?
Because so many riders are willing to pay it.

#42 · (Edited)
There should be some paperwork with the bags that refers you to a website, which has all the accessory info. The PDF is too big to post directly on here.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx

Check Agree, click on Honda User, click on Next.

Click on 401cc to 750cc, then click on any of the 500 series (most accessories are the same), then click on 2013 (all years are the same).

Scroll down to Saddlebags, click on the little PDF icon just below Model Year.

HTH.

You're welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.