Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

2015 Honda cbr500r engine code?

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 ·
My 2015 Honda cbr500r is throwing up an engine code it blinks 11 slow and 3 times rapid does anyone know what code that is and what it means?

#4 ·
Engine MIL Code 9-5

Sorry, cant seem to start new thread.

CB500FA, 2014. ~ 55,0000 miles.

MIL code 9 Long, 5 Short. Believe 9 related to engine temp.?

Bike was previously dropped (slowly) in soft sand.
This was about 600 miles prior to code indication.

Have a manual but no codes included.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

#5 ·
CB500FA 2014.
Have got an engine MIL code of, 9 Long, 5 Short. (9-5)
Believe the 9 long is related to air intake?
My manual doesn't give a reference for the 5 short code.

Bike recently over in soft sand, but this about 500 miles prior to MIL code appearance.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

#10 ·
Blackfin,
Thanks, youre right.

MIL still blinks 9 Long-5 Short. Checked several times ??

Got hold of an OBD, (thanks Blipco), and code fault is shows as 86-1. -- Meter communication malfunction. (open or short circuit in the TXD / RXD wire)

This fault is shown on two (2) lines. One line shows as past. other line shows as current.

Now I'm closer to getting this resolved. Just need to locate that wire..!! ..any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

#14 ·
I can't recall if this affects 2015s but my 2014 had an issue for the starter relay (which turned into a recall for that relay from Honda...) The initial symptoms of that problem were communication issues with the meter. It fairly rapidly evolved into a more serious electrical issue where the bike wouldn't power up at all when the key was turned on.

Might be worthwhile checking that relay instead of hunting through a wiring harness that's likely fine.

#15 ·
Blipco..

You could be onto something.
Battery didn't die whilst in bike. But lithium (rather new ) battery, wasn't on a charger for a 2 week period while bike sat.
Problem started then.

Bike runs fine (just MIL light blinking), so will try thru a few heat cycles.

I note that original poster had an incorrect MIL sequence?

Will advise outcome.

Thanks again, Alan

#16 ·
I'm not sure about the CB but I had a Triumph that the battery died even though it was new. The owners manual stated that it would have to run through three cycles. Something like to 220 degrees then cool off to 170. Then repeat for three times, so after buying a new battery I just rode the bike normally and after three days the light shut off and never happened again.

But check blackfin's suggestion of the starter relay recall. If your bike wasn't repaired under the recall then it's still elligable to be fixed under the recall. You can go to the Honda site and punch in your VIN to see if it's been done or a dealer can tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.