Clutch plates thickness requirements? - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Nope, no stack height either.
Is your clutch cable lubed and in good shape? (I hate to ask, sorry).
Here's the specs from the manual.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (204.8 KB, 4 views)
sbk1198 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yamato View Post
well then seems like the obvious solution would be stiffer springs that can hold the initial pull ... but that would obviously come whit a price of more force required to pull the clutch in ... i guess if you could find something slightly stronger, it would work, but i guess you already thought about this
Yeah, thought about that, but I'm not holding my breath on finding stronger springs for this. Seems like there aren't very many performance parts made for these bikes. Don't know what the spring rate is for the stock springs, or what would work better.

But part of me thinks that's not the problem, because for 1) I haven't heard anyone else have this issue, and 2) I have a friend who used to race a CBR500 this season and a bit last year and he never had this problem on launches. He even wheelied his bike off the line once (have it on video lol), whereas mine just spins the clutch like crazy even if I'm pretty aggressive with letting out the clutch lever. Any quicker and then it just drops the revs all the way down. Guess I've never ridden another 500 to be able to compare, but I've ridden a bunch of Ninja 300s and I can launch those **** near perfectly every time. Huge difference! I get no excessive clutch slip with those.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Nope, no stack height either.
Is your clutch cable lubed and in good shape? (I hate to ask, sorry).
Here's the specs from the manual.
Lubed, no. Never seen anyone put lube on a clutch cable before

In good shape...yeah I would think so. I mean you can only see the ends, which look to be in great shape, so I can only assume the rest of it is good too. Bike only has about 4700 miles, so I can't imagine the cable being in bad shape. The plates shouldn't either normally, but my thought was that maybe the previous owner had the cable adjusted wrong (it was actually a bit loose when I got the bike) and so maybe he abused the clutch a bit too much causing premature wear. But now I see that mine are right in the middle of the manual's range, so I'll probably just leave them as is. My oil level wasn't too high either.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Lubed, no. Never seen anyone put lube on a clutch cable before

In good shape...yeah I would think so. I mean you can only see the ends, which look to be in great shape, so I can only assume the rest of it is good too. Bike only has about 4700 miles, so I can't imagine the cable being in bad shape. The plates shouldn't either normally, but my thought was that maybe the previous owner had the cable adjusted wrong (it was actually a bit loose when I got the bike) and so maybe he abused the clutch a bit too much causing premature wear. But now I see that mine are right in the middle of the manual's range, so I'll probably just leave them as is. My oil level wasn't too high either.
I'm not familiar yet with this bike but I've seen corrosion happen at the midpoint adjusters which can cause the cable to hang up. I know you have low miles and it's pretty new but it's worth a look.
Now that the cable is off the bottom, take it off the lever and feel for friction. There should be none. I've dripped oil onto the cable and worked it back and forth until it comes out the bottom.

There are cable lubers made but regular motor oil and the plastic bag funnel trick works good.
sbk1198 likes this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 AM

I've owned lots of older, high mileage bikes and rarely had to get a new clutch.
As long as it hasn't been abused, it should last a very long time. On a bike with <20K km I wouldn't worry.
If the clutch slips, I'd check the adjustment first, maybe somebody tightened it up too much.
There must be something seriously wrong before I pull the clutch and start checking the thickness.

current: CBR500R, CRF250M, MSX125, Yamaha Nouvo 135
previous: CB360, CB450SC (2), VT500FT, XS650 (3), Virago 750, Intruder 800, XJ600S, Intruder 1400, K75S (5), K100RS (5), ZX9R, KLR250, XR650L, DR650SE, Ninja 250, VTR250 (2), CBR150R (3), AX-1
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
I've owned lots of older, high mileage bikes and rarely had to get a new clutch.
As long as it hasn't been abused, it should last a very long time. On a bike with <20K km I wouldn't worry.
If the clutch slips, I'd check the adjustment first, maybe somebody tightened it up too much.
There must be something seriously wrong before I pull the clutch and start checking the thickness.
For most bikes yes, I agree, but with race bikes it's different. Race starts are very hard on clutches. On bigger bikes like 600s and 1000s, it's not uncommon for racers to get new friction plates once a year, which might come out to be only about 1500-2000 miles. On little low powered bikes I'm not sure. I don't know enough about these, but if it's like with anything else, they shouldn't be as hard on parts.

My zx6r had only about 3500 miles on it when I had to replace the friction plates earlier this year....although I think part of that was the previous owner having the lever adjusted too tight and I didn't notice it quick enough. For the last 4 years I've had a bike with a hydraulic clutch so I was used to the feel of that, which feels basically like a 600 with the clutch cable adjusted too tight lol
Thump likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM

I get it, you were joking.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 AM

I've rebuilt a couple clutches on some old Triumph's, Learn the steel plates almost never wear out. All you do is throw those on a concrete floor and rub them around with your foot to take the glaze off of those.

The friction plates, I never replace those until I get to the point the clutch slips. Most often it will slip throttle roll on in the higher gears.

Taking a clutch apart that is not slipping to measure the friction plates, nothing but a waste of time.

Making something out of nothing.

When I worked as a tech at a Honda shop all those years ago, I don't ever remember taking a clutch apart to measure the friction plates, just simply never did that ever take place. Stupid is as stupid do.

Last edited by sonicboom; 12-29-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:59 AM

@sbk1198 the spring doesn't have to be for this bike ... maybe some other models / brands use something similar ... but yes as you have said, i have no problems pulling a wheelie in first or from more aggressive start so, if everything is adjusted correctly and nothing "hangs" that would cause a clutch slip, only one more thing comes to my mind ... what oil do you use, is it possible it was contaminated by something? (and i know this sounds stupid, but you didn't use one of those "energy saving" oils, right? that could cause a clutch to slip as mentioned in this video about slipper clutches:
)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
I've rebuilt a couple clutches on some old Triumph's, Learn the steel plates almost never wear out. All you do is throw those on a concrete floor and rub them around with your foot to take the glaze off of those.

The friction plates, I never replace those until I get to the point the clutch slips. Most often it will slip throttle roll on in the higher gears.

Taking a clutch apart that is not slipping to measure the friction plates, nothing but a waste of time.

Making something out of nothing.

When I worked as a tech at a Honda shop all those years ago, I don't ever remember taking a clutch apart to measure the friction plates, just simply never did that ever take place. Stupid is as stupid do.
But it was slipping...read the posts before.

You've never taken clutch plates apart to measure?? There's a reason why they have that info in the service manual. They do wear out in time and there are standards set for when it's time to replace them based on amount of wear. I guess for you it's better to be ignorant and pretend all is well....sure glad you're not a tech anymore!

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page