What are all these shims? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
What are all these shims?

I'm on BikeBandit looking at shims for a Valve adjustment ill being doing next weekend and I see like 10+ different shims.
Are there different shim sizes for each valve or something on the '14 cbr500r? I thought they'd all just use one size shim


It's item #14 http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...5465#sch848602





If i can pull this off i want to eventually make in depth guides for this **** bike.

roksonic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Senior Member
 
lrppcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 259
The shim diameter for them all is the same, but what you are seeing is the different thickness of each available shim in that diameter. So, there is really two ways to plan for this job...save time or save money.

To save time... it is best to purchase a valve shim kit in the 7.48mm diameter size. That will give you an assortment of shim thicknesses, and about 3 in each size. The benefit is that you have an assortment to pick from since you cannot know what sizes you'll need until you can actually tear the bike apart and measure, and this saves time for the job. The negative is that you will be paying for a fairly expensive shim kit, most of which you won't use, or may not ever use.

To save money... tear the bike down and get the clearance measurements and do the math to know the exact shim size you will need for all eight shims. Then, you can specifically order each of them using the direct purchase method you show above. Maybe you are in spec and you won't need eight new shims, or any. The benefit is saving money buying up to eight specific shims instead of a whole kit, but it will cost you time...breaking down the bike, measuring, ordering, waiting for the order to arrive, then installing and putting the bike back together.

Your choice. Good luck! Oh, and to avoid false readings, use a narrow feeler gauge set.
hillscbr and roksonic like this.

2013 CB500F
Honda rear hugger
Puig 6437 screen in black
under cowl for the 500X
the2wheels adjustable levers
powdercoated black exhaust cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
BikeMaster kite bar end mirrors on custom stems
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

"Everybody dies, but not everyone...lives."
lrppcer is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
The shim diameter for them all is the same, but what you are seeing is the different thickness of each available shim in that diameter. So, there is really two ways to plan for this job...save time or save money.

To save time... it is best to purchase a valve shim kit in the 7.48mm diameter size. That will give you an assortment of shim thicknesses, and about 3 in each size. The benefit is that you have an assortment to pick from since you cannot know what sizes you'll need until you can actually tear the bike apart and measure, and this saves time for the job. The negative is that you will be paying for a fairly expensive shim kit, most of which you won't use, or may not ever use.

To save money... tear the bike down and get the clearance measurements and do the math to know the exact shim size you will need for all eight shims. Then, you can specifically order each of them using the direct purchase method you show above. Maybe you are in spec and you won't need eight new shims, or any. The benefit is saving money buying up to eight specific shims instead of a whole kit, but it will cost you time...breaking down the bike, measuring, ordering, waiting for the order to arrive, then installing and putting the bike back together.

Your choice. Good luck! Oh, and to avoid false readings, use a narrow feeler gauge set.
Thank you for the well written and informative post! Thankfully I'm only a weekend rider so time is something i have plenty of with a bike.
You answered some very key questions i had and were building up to. This job should be relatively easy now.
I already ordered the spark plugs so ill do that and the valves
roksonic is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
sonicboom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rocklin, Cal
Posts: 1,166
Garage
On bucket shim designed heads. I have found they get loose but seldom tight on my Bonneville it's been that way. Have not moved any shims around in 38,000 miles on that bike.

Is that pretty much how this bike will be? Will it hold the adjustments as good as my Bonneville?
sonicboom is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: southern Arizona, USA
Posts: 914
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
On bucket shim designed heads. I have found they get loose but seldom tight on my Bonneville it's been that way. Have not moved any shims around in 38,000 miles on that bike.

Is that pretty much how this bike will be? Will it hold the adjustments as good as my Bonneville?
Strange, my Honda NX250 had shim under bucket adjustment and I had to drop the tight one two sizes and the rest one size when I redid the adjustment.

I have never heard of the shim under bucket valve clearance increasing, as wear of the valve and valve seat causes the clearance to decrease. Are you sure that the clearances were measured correctly on the Bonneville?

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

________________________________
The White Bike Clan
Because nothing is more visible than the white bike!
Nekkid motorcycles feel like they go faster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
jsonder is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
The shim diameter for them all is the same, but what you are seeing is the different thickness of each available shim in that diameter. So, there is really two ways to plan for this job...save time or save money.

To save time... it is best to purchase a valve shim kit in the 7.48mm diameter size. That will give you an assortment of shim thicknesses, and about 3 in each size. The benefit is that you have an assortment to pick from since you cannot know what sizes you'll need until you can actually tear the bike apart and measure, and this saves time for the job. The negative is that you will be paying for a fairly expensive shim kit, most of which you won't use, or may not ever use.

To save money... tear the bike down and get the clearance measurements and do the math to know the exact shim size you will need for all eight shims. Then, you can specifically order each of them using the direct purchase method you show above. Maybe you are in spec and you won't need eight new shims, or any. The benefit is saving money buying up to eight specific shims instead of a whole kit, but it will cost you time...breaking down the bike, measuring, ordering, waiting for the order to arrive, then installing and putting the bike back together.

Your choice. Good luck! Oh, and to avoid false readings, use a narrow feeler gauge set.

Quick question again, do you know if i'll have to remove the CCT? I remember on my friends cbr600RR he had to buy a special tool for the CCT
roksonic is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
sonicboom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rocklin, Cal
Posts: 1,166
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Strange, my Honda NX250 had shim under bucket adjustment and I had to drop the tight one two sizes and the rest one size when I redid the adjustment.

I have never heard of the shim under bucket valve clearance increasing, as wear of the valve and valve seat causes the clearance to decrease. Are you sure that the clearances were measured correctly on the Bonneville?
Who knows if I did it right or not, But have not had any go tight, just toward the loose side but not out yet.
sonicboom is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
McRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southwest Washington state
Posts: 197
My experience with several shim-under-bucket systems is that they tend to tighten up, but our CBRs are not normal shim-under-bucket systems. They have a rocker arm shaft, so the cam lobes do not push directly on the buckets.
McRider is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston MA USA
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by roksonic View Post
Quick question again, do you know if i'll have to remove the CCT? I remember on my friends cbr600RR he had to buy a special tool for the CCT
+1 on the shim kit but you have to know roughly what range you need for what I assume is the bikes first valve adjustment. Maybe member tothezeneth can help as I believe he has already done one. Or is it member SBK1198?

The shim kits can be had for $50 US and contain about 50 shims.

This bike uses finger followers so you don't need to remove the cams but I believe the followers have to come out.

One other thing...what is the CCT you are referring to?

Last edited by blipco; 12-28-2016 at 08:27 PM.
blipco is online now  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
+1 on the shim kit but you have to know roughly what range you need for what I assume is the bikes first valve adjustment. Maybe member tothezeneth can help as I believe he has already done one. Or is it member SBK1198?

The shim kits can be had for $50 US and contain about 50 shims.

This bike uses finger followers so you don't need to remove the cams but I believe the followers have to come out.

One other thing...what is the CCT you are referring to?
CCT is the Cam Chain Tensioner.
I figured with the feeler gauges i could measure out what size shim ill be needing with a little math.
I googled the engine pics for the bike and saw how it uses rocker arms/fingers but what is the follower you mentioned?

Here's the image i'm using for reference.
I accidentally shipped my plugs to my brothers house across the country so the job is gonna be delayed a bit lol
roksonic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome