What are all these shims? - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksonic View Post
CCT is the Cam Chain Tensioner.
I figured with the feeler gauges i could measure out what size shim ill be needing with a little math.
I googled the engine pics for the bike and saw how it uses rocker arms/fingers but what is the follower you mentioned?

Here's the image i'm using for reference.
I accidentally shipped my plugs to my brothers house across the country so the job is gonna be delayed a bit lol
CCT, got it. You won't be dealing with that. There is a procedure with the CCT anyways, if you remove it or even loosen the bolts it goes to full extension and you must reset it before reinstall it or you will ruin the chain. But you don't have to touch it so mo worries.

The cam follower/finger followers I was referring to are the rockers. They need to be removed by pulling the shaft out through the side of the head I believe. I'm hoping not but I haven't adjusted the valves yet on this bike.
Another bike I have can be done by moving them to the side with your fingers.

You'll be removing the spark plugs so as to be able to turn the engine over easily by hand. This is done by turning the rear wheel with the bike in sixth gear.
Use either a rear stand, centerstand or the wood method I have described in another thread to hold the wheel off the floor.

If you go to Amazon you can buy Hot Cams shim kits for $34 US. Each kit appears to have 47 or so shims.
You can look around for better deals.
But these kits come in different ranges of assorted styles and as I mentioned, you have to have an idea of what range you will need.
If you have the time, measure and calculate what you need then either order the whole kit (keeping in mind a future adjustment which will need even larger shims) or order them individually for a couple of bucks each. But the kits often come with free shipping.
Keep in mind also that you may be able to swap over your factory shims from another valve.
Problem is, you don't know what size it is until you remove it.

roksonic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM

That picture is not right for our engines. The valve actuating method is different.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
CCT, got it. You won't be dealing with that. There is a procedure with the CCT anyways, if you remove it or even loosen the bolts it goes to full extension and you must reset it before reinstall it or you will ruin the chain. But you don't have to touch it so mo worries.

The cam follower/finger followers I was referring to are the rockers. They need to be removed by pulling the shaft out through the side of the head I believe. I'm hoping not but I haven't adjusted the valves yet on this bike.
Another bike I have can be done by moving them to the side with your fingers.

You'll be removing the spark plugs so as to be able to turn the engine over easily by hand. This is done by turning the rear wheel with the bike in sixth gear.
Use either a rear stand, centerstand or the wood method I have described in another thread to hold the wheel off the floor.

If you go to Amazon you can buy Hot Cams shim kits for $34 US. Each kit appears to have 47 or so shims.
You can look around for better deals.
But these kits come in different ranges of assorted styles and as I mentioned, you have to have an idea of what range you will need.
If you have the time, measure and calculate what you need then either order the whole kit (keeping in mind a future adjustment which will need even larger shims) or order them individually for a couple of bucks each. But the kits often come with free shipping.
Keep in mind also that you may be able to swap over your factory shims from another valve.
Problem is, you don't know what size it is until you remove it.
Sounds good not too bad, i got the stands and extra tool and set of hands if i need it too. Just the more information the better is how i see it. I'll look into the kits, i also have calipers to measure things out more accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
That picture is not right for our engines. The valve actuating method is different.
Are you sure, I pulled the image off of Honda's site for this lineup and also bikebandit shows the same thing if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...5465#sch848602

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM

You'll also need a small magnet pen to scoop the shims off the retainers and a method to put the new ones back on.
I use a #2 pencil with an eraser. I cut the eraser at a 45 degree angle and use a dab of moly grease to hold the shim while I set it in place.
Rotate the shim with your finger to make sure it is set properly.
If it doesn't rotate, that means its not set right in the retainer.

Also, I don't know about this engine if there's a place where the shim can fall inside so be careful.
roksonic likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksonic View Post
Sounds good not too bad, i got the stands and extra tool and set of hands if i need it too. Just the more information the better is how i see it. I'll look into the kits, i also have calipers to measure things out more accurately.

Are you sure, I pulled the image off of Honda's site for this lineup and also bikebandit shows the same thing if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...5465#sch848602
I don't know. Maybe it is right. I'm not used to looking at the cutaway view. It does have the rocker arm shafts like our bikes.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 PM

I just checked the manual and it appears, or at least as I understand it, that you remove the rocker SHAFT but leave the rocker ARMS in place to gain access to the shims.

I haven't done my shims yet on this bike but it looks pretty easy. Plus there's only eight valves to deal with.

This would be a good time to block off and remove the fresh air system as well.
roksonic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page