Replacement key help. - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CBRogers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Replacement key help.

A week ago I brought a 2014 CBR500R in San Antonio,TX and everything was great. Drove home awesome but realized that the key if off too one side a little, so it wont work to one side. So I went got a copy and it doesn't work. I spoke with a guy from AAA and he said the dealer would have the key code and then boom it's all good again. They couldnt help me and suggest change everything out. I seen somewhere but cant recall that the under the gas tank lid, the bottom part there is also the key code. Can somebody confirm or not, i'm stuck and need a new key for piece of mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:45 PM

when you mean the key is off to the side a little.. do you mean its bent?

take key somewhere local to make a spare?
I took mine to a small mom and pop place to get duplicated,
lowes, walmart couldn't copy motorcycle keys
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
when you mean the key is off to the side a little.. do you mean its bent?

take key somewhere local to make a spare?
I took mine to a small mom and pop place to get duplicated,
lowes, walmart couldn't copy motorcycle keys
Yes it is bent, just a little tho. Im a see about Lowes making replacement key, have to bring blanks because they dont carry Honda key. Thank You I appreciate it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
I'm fairly sure a Honda main agent would be able to organise a replacement key from the VIN code.

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
I'm fairly sure a Honda main agent would be able to organise a replacement key from the VIN code.

I went to Honda dealership yesterday and they were no help at all, besides offering to change all locks and ignition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emontalvo1983 View Post
I went to Honda dealership yesterday and they were no help at all, besides offering to change all locks and ignition

That's not great. maybe an email to Honda US asking their advice. It should be possible to identify the key number somehow, and then get a key ready cut. Much better than copying a damaged original. I take it the bike was supplied secondhand, without a spare key?

My worst fear about dying is my wife selling all my stuff for what I told her it cost...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
That's not great. maybe an email to Honda US asking their advice. It should be possible to identify the key number somehow, and then get a key ready cut. Much better than copying a damaged original. I take it the bike was supplied secondhand, without a spare key?

Yea its a 2nd owner 2014 with 2500 miles, thought I was getting a deal but this key thing is driving me crazy. Im a call Honda customer service and see what they say

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Telephone: (866) 784-1870 closed today, Monday, im afraid to ride with this sketchy key so im a have to be patient

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:05 PM

Garage
I'm in the USA and believe you've got to get the blank key from Honda (35121-MGS-A31). I ordered this today and will take it to a proper locksmith for duplication. It does not appear these are chip keys or have any sort of coding (in the USA).

Another way to get a key would be to grab the little plate with a number on it that's supposed to be delivered with the keys when the motorcycle is delivered to the first owner.
ExTex likes this.

2014 CBR 500R
2012 CBR 250R
1982 BMW R65LS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Garage
I agree with CB Rogers. The bent key can be straightened and copied by a locksmith.
Probably you will need the Honda key blank since the key is much longer than standard keys.

Several owners have noted that the keys bend easily. I had to straighten mine and am still using it.

Ride safely,

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page