Missed gearchanges and other gearbox problems - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
User Tag List

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 3
Likes Given: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Missed gearchanges and other gearbox problems

Has anyone else experienced this? Going from neutral to first (with a huge bang!) then second, on the power, go to change, then- nothing. It won't change up until I release the clutch and reapply. Scared the crap out of me in traffic the other day. Also noticed that you simply can't change down more than one gear when stopped, need to release the lever a bit until it catches for every down change when stopped, so if you've coasted in 4th you'll be there for a while.

All in all seems a bit agricultural to me; hopefully it's just new and stiff but so far not too impressed; my old Honda was quite a lot smoother!
SHiFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Likes Earned: 445
Likes Given: 4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Honda are typically known for quite sturdy gear boxes and the clunk in to first on all my Hondas has been very loud! lol but feels well made to.
Changing up the correct way is to use clutch but can of course do clutch less up changes but need to roll off throttle some then knock it up then get on power all in timing.
Need to treat it differently to a car transmission and go down through the gears as you come to a stop and use engine braking also. You should never stop in any gear other than first and you will struggle to fine first if stop in 4th only by rocking back and fourth and realising clutch in and out, should only really arrive stopped in 4th in an emergency stop.
It will loosen up but not by much I bet.
cb500x_CA, Heimdallr and bambams like this.

Lee
CBR500r Tri-colour ABS
lee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 119
Likes Given: 104
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

i haven't had an issue changing up yet! that's a bit strange...

however the changing down I also find a little agricultural to be honest. it is very rarely an issue, but sometimes if i need to do an emergency brake while in 3rd or 4th (eg a pedestrian jumps out in front), then suddenly have to get going again (pedestrian scared and jumps back out, while cars behind me coming up at speed) and I cant shift down straight to 1st, that pisses me off and is a bit unsafe. there's been a lot of discussion on this and many ppl say this is normal. personally i'm not happy with that, and not really sure how to handle those situations. the only other bike i rode regularly (yamaha xj6) never had that issue.

if you have problems changing up regularly i would have it looked at by my dealer.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 617
Likes Given: 1505

Mash the gear lever down like a ******* ;-) I just do it until it wont move down (ie. I'm in first), or until I reckon its gone down enough times for me to get moving again. Happens so fast, and Im off again...never had an issue.

Dave
vroom_vroom likes this.
CBR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 9
Likes Given: 1

i have had the coming to a stop in a gear that isnt 1st and not being able to go to first, i wasnt paying attention and not downshifting. changing down gears and letting the clutch out should be second nature it helps braking and engine break-in also lets you be in the correct gear to take off if need be just get used to downshifting and engine braking even in emergency situations youll have both feet on the pegs why not be cycling down the gears while stopping
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Likes Earned: 445
Likes Given: 4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Was the Xj6 automatic? if you came to a stop in 4th you can sometimes easily knock it back down to first fast other times not depends on where the gears stopped, but to work well you needs to be moving as is typical for most bikes.
I don't see how the xj6 would differ other then yammie boxes being more smooth and your Honda needs a bit more running in like.

Lee
CBR500r Tri-colour ABS
lee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Likes Earned: 689
Likes Given: 1005
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiFTY View Post
Has anyone else experienced this? Going from neutral to first (with a huge bang!) then second, on the power, go to change, then- nothing. It won't change up until I release the clutch and reapply. Scared the crap out of me in traffic the other day. Also noticed that you simply can't change down more than one gear when stopped, need to release the lever a bit until it catches for every down change when stopped, so if you've coasted in 4th you'll be there for a while.

All in all seems a bit agricultural to me; hopefully it's just new and stiff but so far not too impressed; my old Honda was quite a lot smoother!
it is all about getting used to rpm, clutch and clutch lever combinations. mine is smooth especially after some kms and going to first gear from natural was never buttery on any of my bikes.
besides, normally never stop my bike at fourth gear and going from 4th to 1st is always a breeze for me. mine always engage to 3rd nicely also!
actually, i like the strong feel and clicky engagement of the gearbox. i feel like i am changing some gears!
CBR_Dave likes this.
loserlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 68
Likes Given: 47

There's been afew posts about this before. The way the bike transmission works is that it has to be in motion for the gear to change. If the clutch had been in for a while then the transmission comes to a stop, and so won't change out of the gear your in. To get it to do so you have to let the clutch out just a little so you feel the bike pull, then the transmission will be in motion again and you can change gear. It is quite easy to panic though if at a set of lights and not expecting it when the lights change.

If you think this doesn't help out your gearbox issues, seriously just go talk to the guys at your honda dealership that you brought it from. At the least they'll give you an explanation that makes you feel alittle stupid. At the worst, there's an issue with the gearbox but the bikes under 2 year warrantee so all is peachy
Heimdallr likes this.

1: 2012 CBF125 (sold May 2013)
2: 2013 CBR500R (sold April 2014)
3: 2014 CBR600F
MisterSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 54
Likes Given: 122

I have only had my gear box really "bang" into gear if I am revving it a little, pull the clutch, tap down into 1st and "bang"...seems normal. 1st seems to do that on every bike.
I have "missed" 2nd and gone into Neutral instead only because I did a lazy lift on the gear change...try rocking your foot up a bit more, and harder. Seems 1st to 2nd takes a but more effort than the rest, likely because those cogs have further to travel then the rest of the gear changes and they are spinning slower, too.
Personally I will NEVER just use the brakes and "coast" in with 4th gear. I will always blip the throttle all the way down to 2nd gear and use the friction zone to help slow me down, along with steady front brake and some rear brake, too (not too much). I also am not a huge fan of using 1st to stop, unless its lower speeds. 1st seems too low, thats why I use 2nd...
Like CBR Dave said, at stop lights if you find yourself in higher gears for whatever reason the harder you hit down on the lever the better it seems (dont stomp thru the lever tho dude)
Honestly this gearbox seems solid in my opinion, its using the same style box as the 600RR...always keep count of your gears and you will be a happy camper...remember engine braking is yo' friend!!

Hope this helps, but if you think there is a major issue...TAKE IT TO HONDA! Lol, its called a manufacture warranty and power-train is def covered!

-Flashm0b-
loserlazer likes this.

Keep Calm Chive On!
CBR_Flashmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Likes Earned: 119
Likes Given: 104

i didn't want to hijack the thread because while OP might have an issue with the gearbox for me it's just inexperience. i always downshift sequentially except in emergencies so this is rarely i problem. however when it happens the only solution is to let clutch out a little as described above. doesnt take longer than a second but it's still nagging nevertheless. xj6 was manual of course, and sometimes i would come to a full stop in 5th and move down through the gears to 1st no problem even with the bike stationary. so i'm not sure the bike HAS to be in motion for transmission to work... but that bike had 50k miles on it while my cb has 300 - i do hope it might get smoother in time... perhaps with a bit more experience will also be downshifting right through an emergency stop too