Battery Removal for Storage ... - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Removal for Storage ...

Hi All!

Temperatures are dropping and winter is starting to make its presence known up here in the Great White North ... as such it's time to start thinking about winterization and storage. I live in an apt with underground parking however, there is no AC down there. Therefore, in order to keep the battery tendered, I'll likely have to remove it and bring it up to my apt for the winter. My question is this:

Does anybody have any experience with this, and will I lose my digital settings such as ODO reading if I keep the battery unplugged for such an extended period of time?

I look forward to any comments and thoughts you may have. Thanks in advance!

Bert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM

You won't loose the odometer setting but you will loose your trip and clock.
Buy a quality maintainer .75 - 1.5 amps max. such as the Battery Tender and leave it sit connected until riding season.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Garage
Buy a battery tender and keep it up.

Better for the bike all the way around, keeps corrosion down, which something most people don't think about.

The reason the old British bikes use Positive ground electrical systems, because they produce less corrosion then a negative ground system.

Look it up.....I wondered that for many years the difference between positive and negative ground systems and found out the actual reason had to do with corrosion issue are less with positive ground systems. Lot of moisture in England which would rot the old cars with negative ground systems.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:04 AM

Hi Bert,

How cold does it get in that underground parking? If it stays reasonable, then I wouldn't even worry about it. Put a voltmeter on it occasionally, if the voltage drops fast, pull the battery and take it inside. I'm typically anti-tender. I've observed more batteries fail prematurely that have owners using tenders than not. That's my observation and personal experience, no scientific backing, and I'm sure the pro-tender crowd will make their case. Everyone is free to do what they want. I think a big problem with using tenders is that a lot of people use one with too much output amperage, and I think that hurts these small batteries. For MC batteries, I like to recommend the Battery Tender Jr. or similar with only a 750mA output. I own this unit, but I use it for charging and not tending. Good luck.

2013 CB500F
Honda rear hugger
Puig 6437 screen in black
under cowl for the 500X
the2wheels adjustable levers
powdercoated black exhaust cover
The Cycle Guys expandable FastPack pillion bag
BikeMaster kite bar end mirrors on custom stems
Two Bros. Black Series slip-on exhaust M-2 Aluminum canister, P1 insert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Black Bike Clan
Because nothing beats the black bike!

"Everybody dies, but not everyone...lives."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for your advice! I should probably qualify that by "AC" I mean there's no electrical outlets down in my underground parking and not "AC" as in HVAC system, though it doesn't get too cold down there. I have the Honda "Genuine" battery tender that I bought from the dealer which to me looks like a rebadged TecMate. I thought perhaps if I took the battery out I can keep it trickle charged in my apt. over the winter. I'll gestate on this some more but any additional thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you all again!

Bert
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Garage
I too am mulling over whether or not to pull the battery. I have a Battery Tender jr, but I'm not sure if I should just hook it up to the battery on the bike or remove the battery and keep it on the tender off the bike.

2015 CBR500R
2007 RDX Tech
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Batteries don't like hot cold cycles and they don't like slowly discharging in cold weather.
Your ECU has a steady very small drain on a fuel injected bike.
Take the battery indoors and place it in a cool spot if you can find one in your apt. With care you should get 7 or 8 years out of your battery. My record is nine years, I sold the bike with the same battery so it may still be good to this day.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:21 PM

One word of caution. If you bring the battery inside, keep it away from any spark or flame, like candles, or gas stove.
Owlman likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRider View Post
One word of caution. If you bring the battery inside, keep it away from any spark or flame, like candles, or gas stove.
It's common sense but it's actually sound advice - accidents often happen due to carelessness.

Thanks!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Batteries don't like hot cold cycles and they don't like slowly discharging in cold weather.
Your ECU has a steady very small drain on a fuel injected bike.
Take the battery indoors and place it in a cool spot if you can find one in your apt. With care you should get 7 or 8 years out of your battery. My record is nine years, I sold the bike with the same battery so it may still be good to this day.
Even without a tender?

I'm guessing that's what you mean by hot/cold cycles?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page