How to clean your downpipes and exhaust: Autosol - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 8Likes
  • 5 Post By asparagus
  • 3 Post By Paul Norton

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

How to clean your downpipes and exhaust: Autosol

I had some free time yesterday so I decided to give the bike a good clean. I haven't cleaned it in a while, and since I've been riding daily through the winter I was getting worried about salt building up and corroding metal parts. After the clean I still had some time so I thought I'll try to do something about the discolouration of my downpipes and exhaust. The bike is 18 months old now and I never treated these parts apart from cleaning. As a result they were looking like this yesterday morning:

So I took out a tube of Autosol and gave the pipes a good go-over. This is the exact method I was using (it's an excellent Youtube channel, worth checking out!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqNR6hTSwE

This is how it looked like after doing one pipe:

And finally, the finished article:

and:

I have to say I was pretty pleased with the results!

Hope this is useful for anyone wanting to bring back that polished, stainless look to their pipes!

CB1100
SOLD: 2013 CB500F ABS - white - Honda hugger, Oxford heated grips, 12v socket, Givi rack and topbox, LeoVince GP Corsa slip-on, Givi Easylock panniers, Puig Naked NewGen screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 AM

Wow, was just gonna research how to bring the original color back to the downpipes on my F. Thanks asparagus!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 AM

Garage
Wow, nice work, wish the down pipes were as easy to get to on my bike!

Honda CBR 500RA Tri colour 2013

Suzuki GSXR 750 phantom grey K7

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleMoto View Post
Wow, nice work, wish the down pipes were as easy to get to on my bike!
Ditto, horrible fairing to take off.

Good job asp.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Garage
You mean my bike has downpipes?

All kidding aside, the very same PITA-to-remove fairing is the same that hides the downpipes nicely. That said I love how they came out with a bit of elbow grease. Good job and nice looking bike.

Regards,
Grumpy Goat in Houston, Texas
2016 BMW R1200RS Granite Grey Premium | 2014 Honda CBR500RA - SOLD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Autosol is a great product and has be used by motorcyclists for decades. I used it to take the blue off the exhaust pipes of my British bikes in the '60s.

A couple of things they did not mention in the video.

Autosol is a very aggressive chemical compound. That should not be a surprize considering how it smells and what it does. It also turns everything black, especially your hands. So I would recommend wearing an old pair of gloves. When I am done a years riding, my summer riding gloves (inexpensive deerskin work gloves from Home Depot or Marks Work Warehouse) are usually pretty grubby and somewhat weather beaten. They get used for gardening and jobs like this.

Autosol used to come with paper instructions in the box. In the instructions it mentioned spreading the polish and letting it sit a minute or so. Not too long or it will start to dry. I use a dampened sponge to spread it. Then do your buffing with parts of old T-shirts as shown in the video.

There is no need to use this product on silverware or other eating utensils. Most toothpastes will do the same thing, but are not toxic (duh!) and wash off easily. After all they are used to polish the plaque off your teeth. I learned to use toothpaste as a metal polish at a Goldwing rally in the '80s. A surprize show and shine contest was held on Sunday, and of course no one had brought chrome polish with them. But when one enterprising "leadwinger" hauled out his toothpaste, it wasn't long before we all did the same. Yah we had yellow teeth, but sparkling bike chrome.

2013 CB500XA, Grip Puppies, California Scientific windscreen, GIpro-DS gear indicator, Moto Werk mirror extenders, Honda main stand and rear hugger, Pyramid Fender Extender, R&G Radiator Guard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page