What's happening to Honda? - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's happening to Honda?

I was dismayed this weekend to find what is becoming an all too common sight at my local dealer - a lack of motorcycles, specifically "supersports." In fact, the CBR500r was the LARGEST fully-fared bike they had! 300s and 500s, that's it! No 650F, 600r, 1000r, NOTHING. They had a small inventory of other styles of bike, but I'm only talking about Honda sports bikes in this post. I'm in California, where we ride 12 months a year, and enjoy legal lane-splitting. My dealer is also in a reasonably affluent neighborhood (Roseville), and you can't drive more than a block or two without returning the two-fingered wave. Sports bikes are really popular in this area, but Honda seems to be tapping out... what gives? I'm personally planning to return to Kawi for the Ninja 1000, but only because Honda killed the VFR800 AGAIN. I really wanted the VFR. I'm not ready to concede that the market is changing that rapidly/dramatically, because there are TONS of new sports bikes from other Japanese makers around town, but no Honda. I personally think Honda has been out of touch with the market for several years, which may be somewhat subjective... to a degree; but by the look of my local dealer you'd think Honda only made "beginner bikes" and heavy touring bikes with nothing in between. One more thing. Other than myself, I've never seen another person buying a bike there. I think I saw someone talk to a salesperson once though. I'm begining to suspect people don't go in anymore because they've learned they won't find what they're looking for.

sonicboom likes this.

2014 CBR500r
2008 Ninja 250r (passed down within the family)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Maybe it's bikes just for commuters 300cc - 500cc . Then the African twin, Fireblade,then Goldwings. Most of the 700cc - 900cc bikes they used to sell no one wanted them. I'm pretty darn happy with my 500F. I do think they Should make a 700cc - 900cc naked bike- s.
Sorry buy my interest don't include R models - Supersports. I do love Naked's. It seems that Yamaha with the FZ07, FZ09 & Fz10 is gaining a lot of Popularity.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Garage
I know that dealership in Roseville, and I noticed the same thing, lack of certain models. They did have one CB650F a few weeks ago. They didn't have a single 1000 of any type. Mostly 300's and 500's, strange because they really were overstocked for those particular models. I don't think they even had a 600 on the floor that day.

Are all the Honda dealerships like that? It's the only one I ever visit.

I'm in Rocklin.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
maybe they sold out of the bikes that are not on the floor.

2013 CBR500RA AC MILLENNIUM RED
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Garage
I was just in my local dealer last week to pick up something and they had a decent amount of bikes. Three 500R's, two F's, two 650's, an Interceptor, a 600RR and a 1000R. They seem to move allot bikes though, I can walk in there one day and it's empty, and stop in 2 weeks later and they have a ton of bikes. I just checked their online inventory now, they have only one left of the 500R's. The only Honda sport bikes even listed are two 2015 300R's and the 500R. It is spring here though, I can imagine business is good.

13' CBR500RA - 97' CBR600F3 - 85' VF500 Interceptor
CBR500RA Mods:
Racetech Fork Springs & Emulators
CBR600F4 Rear Shock Powerbronze Rear Hugger
Corbin Custom Seat IXIL Slip-On Exhaust
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:12 PM

One dealership in my town only has 2015-2016 Honda's ,the one 20miles away seems to have all models for 2017 at least on their web page haven't been there to check. Then I check the dealership where I used to live north of Dallas & there not showing much 2017 Honda models.
HUM !
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 AM

Maybe all those popular models are already sold out. That specific dealer needs to be more agressive in his sales forecasts, and orders enough to meet demand. Or....he is only ordering what sells volumes, rather than what people like to drool over (but don't actually buy).
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
When I bought my bike in January, PowerSports of Crofton, MD. basically had one of every model on the floor - all 2016s. But they only sell Honda products.

When I first saw the post's subject line. the first thing that popped into my head was what happened to Honda Racing. Their new WSK bike is non-competitive (Kawasaki, Ducati, Yamaha and even BWM are beating them), and Honda still hasn't resolved their engine issues in MotoGP.

Giannelli X-Pro Black Silencer
MRA windscreen
GIPro gear indicator
Honda center stand
Honda seat cowl
Titanium adjustable levers
Strada 7 grip covers
R&G Aero Frame Sliders
Moto Werk 1" risers

Moto Werk mirror extenders
Cortech Super 2.0 Tank Bag
Cortech Super 2.0 Tail Bag
License plate bracket removed
Side reflectors removed
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Garage
My local Honda dealership doesn't have a lot of 2017 models yet, but they are stocked to the brim with 2016 bikes. They literally have 1 or more of every model Honda makes.

I agree that a 800cc-900cc naked bike would be a great addition to their line up. They need something to compete with the fz09 and z900.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Looks like one of those periods with Honda moving slow and reacting cautiously to market trends.

They do this every so many years, look as if they are out of step, then the unexpected launch of some new bike or bikes.

Some of what is going on with the dealers, hard to figure out. Could just be management woes. They sort of almost are guessing about what will or won't sell in their perspective areas. Demands can change depending on part of the country. I'm sure Honda give the dealerships some sort of stocking freedom or independence to some degree. Although when the none selling stuff stacks up in the warehouses, I'm sure those bikes end up forced onto the dealership floors.

Trying to read the public mind can be one of the most difficult jobs for any company. Just look at what happen to Jeep with the square headlights. Just about put them out of business, all based on the shape of a headlight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page