Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Headphones / Bluetooth speakers that don't break the bank

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bambams 
#1 ·
I want to listen to my phone while riding.

What are the best options that won't break the bank?

#3 ·
I just use a 10 pair of skull candy earphones and run the wire underneath my jacket. I don't have a ram mount so I just pick an album and press play.

#6 ·
I tried a cheap UClear system for a few months and hated it. There was a reason it was only $50. I switched to the Senna 10U with handlebar remote when I bough a new Shoei helmet. Wow what a difference! It is worth ever dime and then some. It's worlds clearer, you can easily skip songs with the handlebar remote, pause or adjust volume on the fly. It also has a phone app. I highly recommend it if you go Bluetooth.

Reactions: ooreelaxoo
#7 · (Edited)
agreed. the sena 10u is the internal custom fit version of the sena 10r that i have, but it only fits a small selection of helmets from shoei, arai, and schuberth (i have a reevu). the handlebar remote might be the best part of the system as you never have to reach up to your helmet or take your hand off the grips while riding... it controls volume as well as phone aps like music players and nav. also on my android phone it can launch aps via button push and voice command as well as initiate and answer phone calls. the voice clarity is excellent as i've had conversations at highway speed with the other person not having any idea i was on a motorcycle.

however, the sena units w/ handlebar remotes are not cheap. but i've found that buying cheaper solutions most times ends up with me buying the more expensive solution in the end and having to pay for 2 units instead of just buying the better version first.

#8 ·
I use Anker Soundbuds Slim, bluetooth earbuds - Link Despite being called "slim" they're still pretty difficult to get into my helmet still properly fitted to my ears. They're bigger than the standard Skull Candy earbuds I have. Both are pretty cheap ~$20. So I either have to deal with the hassle of running a cord or fumbling with trying to fit my earbuds with my helmet already on.

#9 ·
Smokin buds by skullcandy. I can put on my helmet fine, take calls, control audio. At around $40 it's a pretty darn good deal. They sound great.

#12 ·
I've had my eyes on a Sena 20S unit since I got a phone (which was after I started riding 4 years ago). I just can't pull the $400 out of thin air. If I could, I'd have one. This year, I have a few standard gear replacements to do which is going to cut into my non-existent budget already so probably won't happen again. But definitely, they seem like the way to go if you can afford it.

I've ridden with my phone's earbuds in to listen to music last year. It barely worked, I couldn't hear the music when I got on the highway even at full blast, and I had zero control over any of it while riding. Can't really recommend it because it didn't work well enough, but I could still hear traffic for the most part and was aware at all times. It was safe ish. I rarely do it. Only when I'm in the mood for music while I ride and willing to fuss with trying to get them to stay in my ears while I put my helmet on... Also it's an annoyance when one of them falls out of your ear while riding. I'd much rather a proper unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.