Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Potential death from aftermarket levers and rebuild kits

13K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  sonicboom 
#1 ·
I came across this video on youtube that explains why some after market levers can lock up your brakes while riding.

So be careful when installing in particular Chinese levers as there are a number of similar brake locking issues reported on various bike forums.

I would also say, do not be alarmed if you have already installed levers as it is most likely to fail and lock up very early on after the initial installation.

#3 ·
I just leave on the OEM levers. I can't feel the front brake with those short levers. They tend to lock up in close to the grip, and I can't feel what the heck is going on like that. I only feather front brakes with one finger and sometimes two, but always use front and rear drag braking into turns, so for me those short levers are dangerous.

#5 ·
My chineeeese levers are excellent. Nice feedback, good adjustability, look nice, excellent fit and finish. Very happy! Good video, though.

Reactions: 1977ra28celica
#6 ·
I had a cheap set on my old bike. Not sure if they were Chinese, but the price suggests otherwise. The look of the leavers was fine, but I always had in the back of my mind that perhaps the metal quality was not of the standard required for a brake lever.
I personally liked the look but they had to go.
My advise is simple, don't risk it. The potential for injury to yourself and others, not to mention having your insurers Refusing your cover is really not worth the saving.

#7 ·
Hopefully I got a quality set of aftermarket levers today from AVDB Moto, a French outfit. The lever parts that you grab are made of titanium. Nothing particularly special about that, just a bit heavier and a lot tougher than aluminum. Bought them on eBay for $50 plus $20 shipping. Haven't installed or tried them yet but will give them a shot tomorrow. Levers on my old CB1100 and NC700X were high end adjustable costing well over $100 a pair.

Here are the French titanium levers:

Attachments

#10 ·
I have some very similar levers. I can't even tell a difference. The are made of aluminum and seem strong. There is a lot of free play too, compared to the tight fit if the stock levers. I'll check them again after watching this video.
Heck, I might even black coat the stock levers and put them back. Might need to exclude coating the connecting area thou.

#9 ·
I have cheap ebay levers, they're a little sloppy in the vertical plain, but otherwise good (shorty style, but normal length)

What I think the video is getting at would also leave your brake lights permanently on. Whilst there is always some risk with DIY and cheap components, its fairly obvious that if the brakes are always on, the replacement part is not fitting properly.

Those particular levers are hideous...

#12 ·
Some folks probably don't understand the feel thing I'm talking about when the lever locks up close in to the grip.

That's the difference between someone who's been riding for many years and paying attention and someone winging it.

There are so many skills involved with motorcycles that take years to develop. I cringe when people first throw a leg over a bike. Because I know they are entering a realm that takes literally years to master.

#14 ·
As long as you are careful with that adjustment on the front brake levers it's probably OK.

Keep in mind the closer you get that engagement point to the grip, the more heavy handed it will turn out to be in closer to that grip, and it can get to the point you will not be able to feel the lock up point as well as with the lever further out engaging.

I think some people probably don't understand what I'm trying to explain here.

Case in point...with the stock lever, if I adjust that lever in closer to the grip, I can't feel what is going on with my lock down point, can't feel it, and in an emergency braking situation, it will lock up faster then I can adjust for. Or I find out while feathering the front brake I'm adding more brake then anticipated and suddenly feel the front tire going away while leaned over trying to feather the front brake. Some of this stuff is hard to explain. LOL

#15 ·
Good point. Better feel and control when the hand is more open, less if the lever is too close to the grip and the hand is closer to making a fist. Right? My lever is set pretty close to middle. Besides, I always ride with two or more fingers over the front brake lever when approaching intersections.

Reactions: sonicboom
#16 ·
Seems like about every other month we get someone on the ZX6R forum posting about how they bought aftermarket levers and went out for a ride and within a few miles ended up on their heads. And it's always the same issue...IMPROPER INSTALLATION! Most master cylinders have a little plunger pin that's supposed to go in a hole in the cylindrical pivot piece in the lever. If that's not aligned, people don't see the hole and they just leave it as is. Then as you ride the lever puts pressure on the brake system, pads rub on the rotors, stuff gets hot, pressure in the system builds up and since it's a closed system the only thing that can move is the caliper pistons and then all of a sudden when the pressure is high enough your brakes lock up and you get thrown off the bike.

It doesn't matter if they're OEM, chinese knockoff's or top of the line Brembos...they all have a similar feature and they all must be installed correctly. I'm usually against buying Chinese knockoffs, but my $25 levers have worked great so far! And since they were the short versions they weren't touched at all when I crashed last track day of last year so I didn't have to replace them. I never found a set of OEM levers on any bike I've owned so far that I can say I really liked. They're all usually to bulky and are too far from the bars, and most are not adjustable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.