Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Buying Used 2015 CBR500r

4K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  killa82783 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking at a used 2015 cbr500r on Craigslist for 3600$ so I want some advice. I can't just go drive to look at it because it's far away, so I need to be sure it's a good buy first. It's a 2015 with 6k miles and it looks overall clean except for some some sun damages and rusted chain. Is this a big deal? Do you think these are signs the bike was left outside and neglected? I'm a new rider so I don't really know, but would leaving a bike outside cause mechanical damage? I really want to be certain that this isn't a bad buy because it's all my money right now so ide really appreciate the help. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Leaving a bike outside, exposed to the elements can and will take its toll on the bike. However, you can maintain your machine using various products to protect the metals and panels. Buying a cover is always a good start but ideally you want it stored in a garage.

A rusted chain in my opinion, is a sign of a little neglect as a chain should be well lubricated at all times. But it's nothing that can't be replaced and you could use that as a bargaining point to knock some cash off.

It's an overall solid bike though and a very well balanced one and is great for new riders. I didn't own one for very so I'm sure some more experienced users will give their input soon.

#7 ·
Sounds like the person didn't care about the bike. Lubing a chain ,putting a cover is very easy & cheap . If you love your bike a person will do what's needed to protect it the best as possible. Sound like a young kid who doesn't care about the bike. I WOULD PASS!!

#9 ·
Yes that's it. It's much easier to see on a big screen. There's a sun spot on the front tire cover and if you look close, towards the back of the Chain near the rear tire. I'm a noob and just really can't afford to buy a lemon. I appreciate your guys help.

#10 ·
I guess my foremost concern, personally, is if the bike has been dropped. That always bothers me but is quite common on "starter" bikes. I dunno, I don't think you can go wrong with buying a lightly used Honda with low miles. Ask the seller if the two recalls have been addressed. They may not pertain to MY2015.

#14 ·
If this is your first bike, you might not be aware of ABS for motorcycles. I rode for 54 years without it, but, I specifically ordered it on my CB500X, as I'm getting older and don't have the level of reflexes and "feel" that I had when I was younger.

For starting riders, ABS is a real plus.

#16 ·
#19 ·
Can we go back to basics and have you tell us why you want/need a motorcycle, how/for-what-purposes you will use the motorcycle, your age, and your riding experience?

I'm old and old-fashioned, but, I started riding before there were any training courses. I knew one other kid who became a vegetable after his first day on his first motorcycle. That is why I had to leave home before buying my first bike. I strongly believe that you learn to ride best on a small, modestly propelled motorcycle. Anything in the 100-250 cc range is normally a good first bike. I like dual sports because of their flexibility; they can be used for almost any purpose, but sporty bikes come second with cruisers a sad third in suitability. Some very short legged folks need a cruiser, but most do not. I have a 28-inch inseam and have found that a 32-inch seat height is about all that I can manage comfortably on the street. Hence, my current street bike is a CB500XA.

If you are looking at in-town transportation, without a freeway/motorway component, a smaller, used bike will allow more money for safety gear (helmet, gloves, and some kind of boots are the absolute minimum) and safety training. If you need speeds above 65 mph, you do need a bike in the 500 cc size range to be safer in traffic. I rode 250 cc sized bikes from age 18 to 72; the CB500XA is a belated 72nd birthday present to myself. I rode it from ~40 miles north of Mexico up to Central Montana in the summer of 2015 and that was the first time that I really needed that big a bike, simply for the comfort, while doing four 400-450 mile days back to back on both the trip up and back. Small bikes are fine for a day or two, but for extended trips the comfort of a larger bike is very nice. Especially when you are old. ;-)

So, tell us a bit more about yourself and why you want a motorcycle.

#20 ·
It's my first bike, I start the msf course in two weeks, so no riding experience yet. After that my dad is gonna teach how to ride and gain experience. I'm getting a bike just because I've always wanted one and can now afford it. I'm gonna be doing a lot of freeway riding. I live probably 25 miles from work and school.

#23 ·
Parts are so cheap for this bike if you can buy at a good price as long as the oil was changed and no physical damage i would say consider it. The factory chain was crap to begin with and mine kinked even with regular oiling. I replaced with an X-Ring Chain and i haven't had any issues. Also consider PJ1 Black Label Chain Lube. It's the best I have seen so far. DO NOT use the Self cleaning type chain lubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.