Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Leaving the Fold!

6K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  Karl Hungus 
#1 ·
Today I am no longer a member of the CBR500R family - I just rode home on a brand-new 2014 CBR650F. It was too deeply discounted for me to pass up, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I will miss the 500, but I felt it was time for something with a little more oomph. And personally, I've always preferred a bike with an inline 4. The ergonomics are similar, but I find that I am leaned forward a little more, but nearly as much as I would be on a supersport.

Anyway, I may not have a 500 anymore, but I still have my membership here, and I'll definitely drop in. :^)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I didn't get home till after dark, so I don't have any pics just yet. My garage looks like a hoarder's paradise, so I'll wait till tomorrow morning to take pics. :)

#3 ·
Congratulations on the new bike! A year ago I contemplated a full power CBR650R in sword silver. Lovely looking bike. Like you say, the ergos are similar. But the dealer was a pain in the ass with test rides. Now, in AU, I believe the new 650F only comes as a learners bike, so not really any extra oomph. What HP is yours? Around 80?

I've been waiting to see what the 2017 Street Triple 765 is like and the early information is definitely making me very interested in it. From the looks of it, I'd take it to bed and spoon it....if that was socially acceptable.

I'd be interested to read your comparisons. I was leaning towards the 650R because it had good ergos, looked great, was a Honda and I thought it would have more overtaking ability at higher speeds. Sadly, I also prefer bikes with a 180 rear tyre which was another reason I considered it. I feel inadequate on a 160. It's a size thing, I know what you do with it is more important. I really hope you enjoy the new bike.

Photo!

#5 ·
From what I've read, the engine puts out like 87 horsepower. I think it dynos at like 78. The difference in power between this and the 500 is pretty significant. But it's an inline 4, so it makes its power differently, with the real power coming on at 7,000 RPM and up (at redlines at 11,500).

I understand what you're saying about the tire, and I agree; aesthetically, a big, fat 180 on the rear is so much nicer. Plus, this thing has that gorgeous swingarm (which is visible on both sides, due to the under-mounted "leaf blower" exhaust).

I didn't get home till after dark, so I'll take my first pics tomorrow :)

Reactions: hillscbr
#6 · (Edited)
Riding club I ride with, one of the guys found a good deal on a used one. He said about the same thing as you, that he only leans forward a tiny bit more then his 500r, it's not been an issue for him at all. He likes the extra power. Little less fuel economy if that matters. He mention some buzz at certain RPM's, typical in line 4 thing. I've owned a bunch of in line fours, you just stay in the sweet spots.

I like what they did with the exhaust on those bikes. They should have done that with the newer 2016 500's. Surprised that exhaust is as quite as it is.

Good luck.

#7 · (Edited)
Your friend's comments are spot on. The ergos are very similar, but I do now lean slightly more forward (is this something I can expect to get accustomed to?). The bike is a tad bit taller, but no biggie. Slightly heavier, which I like; it feels more planted than the lighter 500.

There is definitely more buzz, but I don't think it'll be an issue. Like a dummy, I left my Cramp Buster on the 500. Since the dealer is 80 miles away, I'll pick up a new one at Cycle Gear tomorrow.

EDIT: Yes, I love the exhaust. And unlike the 500's this bike's swingarm is a thing of beauty. The exhaust is quiet, but it has that sweet inline-4 snarl.

#9 ·
congrats! i love the exhuast setup. i sat on one at a dealership and it felt good to me... just a little more lean as you said, if you sit in the middle or front of the seat, but i ride with my butt almost all the way back on my 500r now so it was less than that. it was pretty sweet tho. enjoy the new bike!

#10 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics from this morning. I told no one that I was buying it, so neither my daughter nor my girlfriend noticed anything different - I had to tell them it was a new bike!

EDIT: The front brakes squeak, but only just before I'm actually stopped. I assume this is something routine for a new bike?

Attachments

Reactions: GRIZZY
#13 ·
Great looking bike! You can't beat a honda in-line four.

Did you trade your 500 into a dealer? Just curious.

Best, and hope you continue to hang around.

Snade

Jupiter, FL

#14 ·
Great looking bike! You can't beat a honda in-line four.
Nope, this thing is silky smooth in a way that a twin could never be.

Did you trade your 500 into a dealer? Just curious.
Yes, so I didn't get nearly as much as I would have by selling it.

Best, and hope you continue to hang around.
I'll be sticking around for sure :)

Snade

Jupiter, FL

#17 · (Edited)
Love the red....you are tempting me big time. LOL.

Just go out and enjoy that thing. Nothing feels better then riding a new bike the first couple weeks. I often can't stay off of them.

I like the look of those swing arms combine with the exhaust muffler set up, it just turns everything up a notch.

The red is so red on that bike, Ferrari looking.

On that leaning forward, I have found on bikes like that for me anyway. The wind sort of holds you up and if I get tired I just scoot forward a bit and hold on with one hand and that sort of gives you a rest period. But often if you keep the speeds up the wind holds you up anyway.

#20 ·
I've been riding quite a bit for sure, though I won't today, since we've got a Super Bowl party we've got to get ready for. But yeah, it feels like I just bough my first motorcycle; the novelty of my new 500 never wore off in the 15 months that I owned it, so I'm pretty sure I'll be geeking out over this one for a while :)

These swingarms are gorgeous. And I'm glad it's got that leaf blower exhaust so that the one on the right isn't hidden. What's more, the Harbor Freight paddle stand I bought for the 500 works even better with the 650, so chain maintenance will be a breeze.

The effects of the wind are something I realized with the 500, which also has a somewhat forward-leaning riding position. This bike definitely puts a little more weight on my wrists and forces me to lift my head a little higher, but it's a fairly negligible difference and still a far cry from a full-on sport bike.

#18 · (Edited)
I was looking at pictures of a 2017 650f and it looks like they raise the bars maybe? Something about them moving the seating position further forward, not sure if they changed the footpeg positions?

More HP, about 5 more, and then they changed the transmission gearing lowering the gear ratio on three of the gears, 3rd 4th and 5th, I guess they picked up a better time in the 1/4 mile run with it now. They also changed the muffler from a 3 stage to a two stage with less back pressure.

They changed the plastic work it looks more like a 500 F model with about the same seating stance from the pictures.

#19 ·
Yeah, they made a few changes for '17, from what I've read. The horsepower change is negligible enough that I'm not going to miss it. This bike makes enough power that there's a good chance I won't outgrow it. I'll have to go sit on a '17 just to see if it feels any different.

#21 ·
When you go check out that 17 get back to me on that seating position. Another thing to check out....what they did to the bars if anything. In the pictures the bars look higher to me. Could be a simple swap on your bike if that leaning forward thing start to screw you up. Looks like they added leg room with the foot pegs maybe. I need to go check one out.

I notice all these companies are coming out with sport style bikes with a more up right riding position.

I'm waiting for them to do something more relaxed with the 1000, more like a 500f MODEL RIDING POSITION.

#22 ·
I've been out riding a bit over the weekend, and I can tell I'm almost completely accustomed to the new riding position, so I'm pretty unlikely to make any changes. If you haven't seen it, you might take a look at the CB1000R, it looks like it might be exactly what you're describing.

#24 ·
I'm going to head over to the Honda dealer if they are open today and check out some of these new bike mods for sure.

I'm very happy with this 500, I've jumped around from bike to bike in the past, have learn that sometimes keeping what you got a better decision in the long run, especially if you're happy with the bike.

For an example, I've gone back and forth with my Bonneville once already and end up buying it back, LOL. She's a keeper, the 500, she's another keeper.

Don't want to end up with a garage full of bikes again. Insurance and DMV alone kill you, then all that maintenance.

#27 ·
Went to the Honda dealer today and they didn't have the 1000R model, just the RR models.

No 2017 650 F models only 16 models. The sales guy didn't know anything about the changes with the 650F model. He was not much help at all.

Did see the new color with the 500R model that orange and black, looks nice.

Asked when they would get a 2017 1000R model..... they didn't know. So I asked about a new 2017 650 F model....same answer..... don't know.

About as much help as **** on a bull.

They told me they only received one 2016 1000R model last year. I guess those R model 1000's don't sell well.

The CB1100 going back into full production for 2017. They made some changes with the bike.

#28 ·
How many Honda dealers do you have within reasonable driving distance? That CB1000R really might be worth your time to check out. If there's a Kawasaki dealer nearby, check out the Z1000 too.

#36 ·
One thing about motorcycles, you can sell high and buy low on that used market. It can be easy to make changes, if you don't get in a rush, and deal with used stuff.

I've sold and purchased used bikes a few times with little cost involved with the move. Just stay with like priced equipment and you can move over on the cheap.

Those CB650F's for some reason I never can find those used in my area. They must not sell many around here. The 1000's I can find those all day long and cheap if you look around. There are always the ones that fell off the kick stand or something like that. If you don't mind a few cosmetic skuffs you can buy those cheap.

#37 ·
I got lucky with mine - it was a brand-new 2014 for $6500. That's why I pulled the trigger; seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up. I bet a used '16 or even '15 would've cost just as much.

#38 ·
You got a good deal on that bike. A friend in this area that have one paid like 8 grand or something like that..... used. Like I say, they are very difficult to find used around here. They don't sell very well in my area for some reason.

I've not noticed a used one on Sacramento Craig's list...ever.

#39 ·
Great deal, Karl. Congrats!

There is a 2016 near me but they are asking 8 grand.

And it's not as cool looking as your red one.

Cheers,

Snade

#40 ·
If you get to where you're even thinking about buying one, scour all dealers within whatever radius you're willing to ride for a good enough deal. My dealer was about 80 miles away, but he had this leftover '14 in stock. All the dealers closer to me were selling '15 and newer, all at MSRP. I got lucky, for sure, but if you're at all in the market, it's worth the research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.