Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

OK, stupid question: Where is the CB500 made?

15K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Thump 
#1 ·
I did a little research before asking, but can someone tell me where the CB500 is made? I'm going to purchase one to replace by beloved but deceased CB1100 (proudly made in Japan) but haven't made it but the local dealership to check a VIN.

My apologies if this question has been asked ad nauseam. My previous bike before the CB1100, a Triumph Bonneville, was made in Thailand.

#7 ·
Not positive, but I would "bet" that the Honda scooters are made in various countries, depending upon the model.
Some may be made in Europe and Taiwan, but the 150 is probably Thailand.

ride safely,

#8 ·
The quality of my Thailand made Bonneville was awesome. No complaints.

Honda bikes not made in Japan are typically not offered for sale in the Japanese home market. I believe in the case of the 500, it falls into the higher classification with larger superbikes, making it much harder and more expensive to own than a 400cc bike.

The downside to this is that the myriad of incredible aftermarket vendors like Agras, BabyFace, Chic Design, Daytona, Force Design, Magic Racing, MotoGear, Moriwaki, Ryujin, SP Takegawa, SP Tadao, TSR, U-Kanaya, and WM don't offer accessories for the CB500.

I went wild on my CB1100, spending over $10K on Japanese accessories, often going through several iterations of parts on an expensive but enjoyable odyssey. It won't be as much the case with the CB500F, Good thing for my wallet.

#9 ·
I had wondered why there seemed to be a bit of a shortage of off-the-peg customising bits for the 500; that is a good point. I am surprised we can't buy an aftermarket instrument panel, with either additional features or analogue gauges.

All-in, I think that the value for money and overall quality of them is astonishing, given their cost. A recent post reminded me of one of my other new bike purchases, that of a 1990 Dneipr 650, and in real terms even allowing for the fact that I earn significantly more as a fully qualified and experienced man in a professional grade than I did back then the summer I finished my apprenticeship, the £2000 it cost in 1990 is (according to the first website i could google) worth £4,450 in today's money, and if you're lucky you can still buy a new 2015 model for little more than that. Other than they both have two wheels, there's no comparison.

#12 · (Edited)
We have to define the term "made".
All bikes I see here in Thailand on the roads are assembled here which makes them a lot cheaper because of the import tariffs.
They are very reliable because they are Japanese bikes; the fact that they are assembled here doesn't lower the quality, even though some people argue that certain parts are not up to the higher Japanese standards. Some complain about "ugly frame welds" but I rather buy a bike for 30 or so % less than pay for an expensive imported bike.
I bought a 110cc Honda, assembled here, rode it more than 70,000 km in nine years, never a problem.
Actually the assembly process is so highly automated that it doesn't really matter where the factory sits, or if a Thai, an Indian, a Mexican or a Brazilian worker is putting the parts together. But the costs are way lower, so much so that even shipping the assembled bikes halfway around the world is cheaper in the end.
If the CBR500s would be assembled in Japan they'd be more expensive, how much depends on where you live and what import tax laws the country has. I'm happy with the quality and rather save some $$.
Assuming that bikes assembled in India, Vietnam, Brazil or wherever are low quality is simply wrong. Most car makers (like BMW) have plants in Thailand, Vietnam or Korea, and your TV, stereo and phone was assembled in China, Taiwan or who knows where, and they work just fine.
If the product is "Made In China" - that's another story! I wouldn't ride a "Ching Quing" if you'd give it to me for free!

#13 · (Edited)
Since early 2011, Harley-Davidson has been assembling motorcycles in India at its CKD (Completely-Knocked-Down) assembly unit at Bawal in Haryana.

Source:

Company Profile | Harley-Davidson India

FYI >:)

#15 ·
I think a lot of end results are dependent on the quality control exerted by the parent company. I trust Honda to do a good job. They have a sterling reputation and seemingly work hard to ensure every bike meets their high standards, no matter where made.

Reactions: Thump
#21 ·
Our CB500s and the CB300 have been stroked, not bored out, from 399 to 471cc, and from 249 to 286cc.

That way they retained the pistons and cylinders, just changed the cranks, and saved lots of money in the process.

Smart move by Honda!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.