Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Tail tidy second thoughts

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  hawaiianbrian 
#1 ·
Did a tail tidy on this bike, noticed yesterday when I hit puddles I end up with a rooster tail all over my back at lower speeds. It appears at the higher speeds I stay ahead of the rooster tails.

Any fix for this? Some sort of fender extender off the license plate maybe?

I know someone is going to say go faster, LOL.

#14 ·
My friend have the same exact bike, he left his fender thing on his bike. Side by side one with and one without the fender stuff....for the life of me I can't come to a decision which looks better or worse. My friend have about the same take on it. He also can't tell which way looks better or worse. He at least decided to leave his alone. Me being the change it for the heck of it type changed to the tail tidy. Wasted effort it looks like with bad results in the rain or even some slight water on the roads.

Another 100 bucks flushed down the toilet.

#16 ·
I've got the 16 model it's a little different then the earlier models.

I may just stick it back on and live with it, it's just a stupid looking thing with it or without it.

Whatever happen to real back fenders for crying out loud. LOL. Do they really need to make these things look like they flew in from mars.

#18 ·
Whatever happen to real back fenders for crying out loud. LOL. Do they really need to make these things look like they flew in from mars.
I agree, I started riding in 1990 and that entire decade sport bikes actually looked DIFFERENT from each other. Everyone had a different tail section look. You knew an FZR600 right from the tail light. You knew a CBR900R even if it went past at 150mph. Today? Nope. And how can you create style when you remove so much of the area to even have any? I understand if it's a naked bike, that's the point. And nobody ever said "You know what I hate? A really good looking rear end." :laugh:

#19 ·
I wanted the front of my R to look sleeker and have less drag, so I took off the mirrors.

Now I can't see what's behind me.

Any suggestions? What should I do?

Reactions: Ben and Droman1972
#23 ·
On the 500F once you put on a rear rack & topcase it's not so noticeable with the stock fender. I've never felt the need for a tidy tail. If I had the CBR500R & was only going to ride around TOWN only no road trips ,& wanted to look Cooler/ Sportier I think I might put on a TidyTail.

#24 ·
This is maybe the one mod I toss around the most. I've got a 2015 CBR500R, so the mod is more permanent than I believe it to be on the 2016. That being said, I noticed on a few pics, like someone mentioned on here earlier, removing the unsightly bicycle style reflectors does wonders for the rear while maintaining functionality.

#25 ·
Mudguard

I bought a mudguard from Leon Group (they are on ebay and Facebook). It does help keep the back cleaner if and I even like the way it looks, everyone has their own preference. The license plate kit is extra. It is heavy duty and quality and fit are excellent but if you were trying to save weight it defeats that purpose. When I mounted it I left off "19 - Washer, RR. Swingarm 90559-MGZ-J00" on the rear wheel parts list and used the back chain adjustment nut to secure it to the swingarm. I have had no problems with it loosening up or chain adjustment problems in over 5000kms. If you live in Thailand contact them via Facebook and you will get a much cheaper price than you can get on ebay. They were a pleasure to work with. This picture gives you an idea what it looks like. I don't have pictures of my bike with me right now, I'm off working. Take care!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.