Help me to be happy with 500RR... - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Help me to be happy with 500RR...

Firstly, forgive me for creating such a drastic thread title but it was the only way I knew how to truly express myself through a computer screen.

Secondly, this is my second thread so forgive me if this is in the wrong section and any member of staff is welcome relocate it.

A little bit of background story;- I passed my bike test around 6 weeks ago now and I went out 3 days later to a Honda Dealership to window shop. I came across this 2014 ABS CBR500R which I thought was an awesome bike! After a test ride, I was completely sold with it especially with how comfortable is was. At the time, it seemed to tick all my boxes:

Sporty design but not your typical tank-kissing poistion, it was nice and upright and allows me to be flat-footed (I know this isn't essential to riding a bike but it's more of a comfort thing for me).

Had an Akrapovik exhaust so it sounded like a wild beast even at idle revs.

Suited my size. I'm only 5.4" so again, it felt comfortable.

Heated Grips 🙂

All the above just made me smile and it gave me a tingle everytime I got on/off the bike. Someone once said: "If you can walk away from your bike without looking back, then you got the wrong bike".... guess what?!.... I look back!!

BUT, just two days later I started looking all over the web for how fast it could go and from there I felt almost disappointed. I found out it only tops out at 114mph and only had 47bhp. I thought to myself it's all good, becuase I would never reach it's top speed anyway, not for what I use it for (commuting). But after some days after while riding it, it just began to settle in and started eating away me that it's not as heavy-hitting as it looks.

I don't know why it bothers me so much though!! It's just those figures sound tiny to me yet I know it's more than what I need. Many friends of mine who have been riding a lot longer than I have keep saying it's a good bike I got and said that they can race me while using my bike and I use theirs (600cc++) and still win becuase it's all about riding experience in this case.

I took a 2015 650F out a few days ago and it wasn't quite what I was looking for so I decided to just stick to me 500 for the moment.

I think I got the "upgrade bug" already and I'm trying to run before I can walk. I also feel that I'm not giving my 500 a chance, becuase if someone was to ask me for a review on it, I would be a very positive one. I truly feel it's a great bike! I just feel I want something bigger already. Maybe I need to take it on a track-day!? I know bigger bike doesn't mean it's always more fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Two things:

1. Perhaps you should've done all this research before you got the bike so you know exactly what you're getting. Don't let looks determine what you get.

2. Your friends are absolutely right! You've been riding 6 weeks! 6 freakin weeks only! Trust me when I say you don't need anything more, at least not for a while. And this is coming from someone who started on a 600, moved up to a Ducati 1198, a couple of more 600s and now the CBR500. I did it the wrong way. You're on the right path, so stay on it. Start small, ride the 500 for a couple of years, do some track days to really learn how to enjoy your bike even more, and then your knowledge and skills will be so much better and you'll be a lot more ready to upgrade. I pass people on 600s and 1000s on my little 500 all the time at the track. It's 90% rider, 10% bike.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
Two things:

1. Perhaps you should've done all this research before you got the bike so you know exactly what you're getting. Don't let looks determine what you get.

2. Your friends are absolutely right! You've been riding 6 weeks! 6 freakin weeks only! Trust me when I say you don't need anything more, at least not for a while. And this is coming from someone who started on a 600, moved up to a Ducati 1198, a couple of more 600s and now the CBR500. I did it the wrong way. You're on the right path, so stay on it. Start small, ride the 500 for a couple of years, do some track days to really learn how to enjoy your bike even more, and then your knowledge and skills will be so much better and you'll be a lot more ready to upgrade. I pass people on 600s and 1000s on my little 500 all the time at the track. It's 90% rider, 10% bike.
1. I agree! My friend said to me: "The dealer didn't even have to sell you the bike, he knew you was buying on impulse as he saw the grin you had on your face after the test ride".

2. Thanks for the input. It's all that info that I'm looking for to make sure I don't do something I'm going to regret.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:49 PM

I change bikes about every four or five years. Sometimes I move up in horse power and sometimes I move down. Right now I am enjoying this CB500F and I think I will keep it for several years. It just seem like a perfectly balanced bike and I like the naked look after riding a few sport bikes wrapped in plastic. I ride for fun and this bike is cool.

Keep your bike for a while, explore what it can do, have fun with it. Try not to worry about its performance numbers compared to other bikes. It is what it is - a great bike for the money and good performance.

You can move up if you want later, when something really grabs you.

Cheers,

Snade
southern.mad.dog likes this.

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

car - - - > 2015 BMW 335i

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:14 PM

You should have started on the CBR250/300R like I did. My 955i Daytona riding neighbor was outside the day I brought the 250 home. He said man what a cool cycle, but when he saw the 250R on it you could see his disappointment. He said it's cool but you will be over it in 6 months. After 2.6 years and 7400 miles on my '12 250ABS, including a track day, I felt I was just the ready for the 500. After riding that 250 the 500 seemed like a rocket.

Don't listen to your wants, you are a step ahead of me, and you made a wise choice. It's a great machine with all the power an inexperienced rider needs. I've done 3 track days on my 500 and I highly recommend it. My last track day I passed the guy on the HRC 600RR all day long. When the instructor followed me, the first thing he said back in the pits, and his smile was as big as mine, that's the 500 right...Man you look like you're really having fun. Reviewing the video in class he said my pace was really good. All it had was a slip-on and some Q3 tires, pardon me I mean tyres.

They want you to have 5000 miles before your first track day and I wouldn't consider another machine until you have that. 6 weeks is nothing. You haven't even come close to all the FU situations you will be in, and the 500 is a most forgiving mount. Good luck to you and keep the rubber side down Brother.

2014 CBR500RE
2007 Ruckus
1995 Nighthawk 750
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies people! What I have read so far has been a great help.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:21 PM

If you wanted to impress your friends at the Ace Cafe you should have bought a ZZR 14. Yeah, that's the ticket. Those bikes put up big numbers.

I think it was Kevin Cameron that said it best...'If you want a faster bike become a better rider'.
The 500 CBR is just the bike to become a better rider on. You may have so much fun on it that you might never want to sell it.

And also, craving other bikes is part of the motorcycle experience. It's kinda like being with a woman. It's OK to look at other women (so long as you don't get caught) just don't touch.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
1. I agree! My friend said to me: "The dealer didn't even have to sell you the bike, he knew you was buying on impulse as he saw the grin you had on your face after the test ride".

2. Thanks for the input. It's all that info that I'm looking for to make sure I don't do something I'm going to regret.
Haha yep! Out of all the bikes I've owned so far only 1 was bought from a dealer, and it was brand new. He didn't have to do **** to convince me. All he did was basically let me take it for a test ride (wasn't actually that bike, but a used bike of the same model). That's all it took and I was convinced That's the nice thing about those guys that work at bike dealerships. They only deal with customers that look like little kids in a candy store. Nobody that walks into a bike dealer to buy a bike is there against their will because they HAVE to. They all go there because they really WANT to. And since there are usually far less bike dealers than car dealers around the choices for where to buy are more limited, so if you're the only Honda motorcycle dealer in town, everyone that wants a new Honda will likely buy from you People are also less likely to haggle on prices. When you found the bike you want and you really like it you're not gonna be too bothered if the dealer won't come down on the price by that last $300 that you were hoping to save lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post

And also, craving other bikes is part of the motorcycle experience. It's kinda like being with a woman. It's OK to look at other women (so long as you don't get caught) just don't touch.
Very true! ...no matter what bike(s) I have and no matter how many, there is always another one or more than I'm craving. If only I had more money....a lot more money!

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 PM

Garage
No need for buyer's remorse, the 500R is a good bike suitable for commuting.

If anything, you are on the too much engine to learn to ride well side of the coin, so take your time learning to ride the twisty stuff. Stress riding smoothly as it is the key to riding well.

John '14CB500XA (White), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold, White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1st bike: a slightly used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Garage
Welcome Troy!

I've not much to add that hasn't already been said. You've made a great choice of bike that people with a vast experience in bikes have made too.

It's human nature to seek improvement....if it wasn't we'd all be sat in caves banging rocks together. I don't know anyone who has a bike who doesn't look and consider other ones, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be very happy with your choice of the 500.

There's a man I know who has an R1. He always snipes at me asking how my little bike is and what I will upgrade too. He may feel the need for 150hp between his legs, if only to make himself feel more superior to other people, but that says more about him than the people he tries to look down on. When I've explained the pros of the 500 to him and the negatives of his R1 for road use he goes quiet very quick.

I'm very lucky in that my commute to work includes a 20km twisty stretch of road through the hills that the weekend riders and boy racers in their skylines / subarus / evos travel far and wide to travel (I work weekends so I see them). Not once has another sports bike or car kept up with me on that road. With my experience on that road the 500 is enough bike to hold it's own against anything and it is great fun to ride.

Enjoy your 500 for what it is. You will change bikes one day. There's no rush. And I'm sure when you do change bikes you'll miss the 500.

Finally, the most fun I've had on 2 wheels is on a 125 scooter. It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it.

Mods:
I took the stickers off when I was bored
Black CNC Preload Fork Cap Adjusters
Titanium short adjustable CNC brake / clutch levers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page