Help me to be happy with 500RR... - Page 4 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
When I first got this bike a couple times I had trouble passing cars going up hills in the foothills here in Northern California.

Now I'm not noticing that as much, since I'm in the habit of keeping the RPM's up above 4,000 these days on these hills.

Most of my back road riding I seldom get out of 4th gear, when I first got the bike I would be in 5th and 6th all the time and feeling like the bike lacked power sometimes.
Agreed, this is exactly how this bike should be ridden.

Most new CBR500 riders fall into the same trap of getting up into 5th and 6th way to early and then wonder why they are lacking acceleration to overtake.

The only downside to this engine is that above 5000k, it does sound like you are stressing the engine when in fact you are not.

One thing that I have noticed about the GSXR that I am currently riding is the inline 4 sounds like it is singing through out the rev range and the induction noise is absolutely fantastic.

Not taking anything away from the CBR500 because for what it is, I still belive it is the perfect bike to not only learn your motorcycle craft on but is a great bike in general for most applications.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliodi View Post
The only downside to this engine is that above 5000k, it does sound like you are stressing the engine when in fact you are not.
This is why i want an aftermarket exhaust because anything over 5k sounds fcuking horrible!

2016 CBR500RA MATTE BLACK
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 PM

There is a personal sweatspot in the 2-dimensional space of rider skills and motorcyle capabilities. Within this sweetspot, riding is pure pleasure. That's where you need to go.

My current ride (80-85 HP, 155kg), although my smallest on power for quite some years, is still too much to fully cover that sweetspot. A pimped* CBR500R might be the right next step on my way to enlightment - Oooommmm....

*after a longer test ride I think that the CBR could benefit from some improvements: suspension, brakes, tires, max. lean angle etc.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 AM

Agreed with the above sentiments. As a new rider I am not accustomed to how bikes sound / feel and reving past 4k didn't feel nice.

With an exhaust, it sounds better all round (I use the db Killer, still good) and 5-6k now has a nice little crack to it on full throttle, rather than just the buzzy engine noise.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:09 AM

I read this somewhere.

'Extra horsepower will not make up for lack of skills'.
jsonder, Ben and Owlman like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page