Help me to be happy with 500RR... - Page 2 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Garage
I've been riding on the road for over thirty years, and on powered two wheels for nearly forty. I've had all sorts. My first "big" bike was a VF400F, a bike that made similar numbers to the CBR500R. If I had known then what I know now, I'd probably still be riding the VF.

You need a good deal more than six weeks under your belt before you'll have mastered the 500. Get a year or two's riding done, and a few thousand miles covered, then step up (or sideways) to whatever takes your fancy next. I guarantee though, if you're still riding in thirty years time, you'll wish you'd kept the 500 and will be gazing misty-eyed at mint ones in the classifieds...

hillscbr likes this.

Last edited by GlenAnderson; 12-12-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 PM

I did the same thing, I originally planned on getting a 600 supersport but it was taking too long and the cbr 500r looked good and i thought the difference between 500(471)-600 can't be that big of a difference. Well within two weeks i got real comfy started topping the tach riding canyons and i already feel the need for more. So going to list it on CL just after one month and buy a 600 supersport
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:03 PM

on the hindsight, I would love to have the new honda Grom to ride the twisty mountain roads on the weekends.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenAnderson View Post
if you're still riding in thirty years time, you'll wish you'd kept the 500 and will be gazing misty-eyed at mint ones in the classifieds...
True, for us older guys that have owned bigger, faster, and more expensive bikes - we have an appreciation for these Honda 500 models - they just get it right in balance, looks, ride and fun.

Cheers,

Snade
Jamco likes this.

bike - - - > 2014 Honda CB500F (black)

car - - - > 2015 BMW 335i

life goals - - - > take things easy, be helpful and enjoy

"When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses." Steve McQueen
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 PM

There's a number of threads around here dealing with the idea of "Will I outgrow" the CBR500R. Try reading through one or more of them.

2014 CBR500RA (sold)
2011 Fazer 800: Yoshi tail tidy | Pazzo shorty levers | GYTR spools | Yoshi R77 | Modded airbox + K&N | Akrapovic race header | PC-V | DQS | 15T Protek front | DID 525VX gold chain | EBC Vee rotors and HH pads | Angel GTs | PIAA Slim Line | SpeedoDRD | Oxford heated grips
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM

Been riding since 1969, have owned over 35 motorcycles and absolutely love this bike.

I've owned all sorts of bikes and a few pushed well over 100 HP.

It's the entire package with this bike that I like, it can do it all with grace.

I don't need to go 150 miles per hour to have fun.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:11 PM

troy,

Just about everyone on this forum will tell you to hold onto this bike for at least 12 to 24 months before you should think about upgrading.

The reason being that Honda have created the perfect bike (CBR500) for new riders to learn their skills. This bike gives you the right amount of HP, linear acceleration and torque, great braking, perfect balance and weight plus outstanding fuel economy.

It will take you at least 12 months to properly learn the limits of this bike and it is a lot more fun to ride than going to a bigger HP bike at this stage of your development.

If you already think that this bike is under powered, you are probably riding around under 4000 RPM. This is one of the biggest mistakes made by a new rider. Between 4000 RPM & 6000 RPM is a good RPM range to cruse in. At this RPM range the bike sounds like you are ringing its neck but rest assured you are not hurting the bike and will find more power and torque.

Best of luck
hillscbr likes this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:01 PM

Hi Troy,

Though I'm an older rider, I'm a super Noob when it comes to two-wheeled riding so I can't really comment except to say that this bike is not only the most fun I've had on the road (responsibly) in a long time but is more than I'll need for a while until my skills can match the bike. Though honestly, I'm not even sure I'll ever get rid of it even as I upgrade.

As has been pointed out there are many threads about peoples' riding experiences and you won't find a better community of people to help you get the most out of your bike. Immediately @tothezenith comes to mind as one who (as his username implies) has pushed all kinds of limits with his bike - he's a wealth of knowledge and loves to share so I would definitely check out some of his posts if you need any more convincing.

Whatever you decide, have fun, ride safe and keep us posted of your adventures!

Bert
tothezenith likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Garage
Greetings fellow new rider.
I myself am fairly new having only one season (8000kms) under my belt. IT seems you and I have the same bike and also perhaps the same "problem", or I should say semblance of a problem. I rode a couple of times with guys who owned liter bikes and to be honest at times I had trouble following and I would tell myself this bike just isn't enough and I need more. Then I scared myself in a curb... came in too hot and crossed lanes only to be able to bring it back at the last second before going off into the ditch on the other side of the road. Why am I still here today? because there were no cars that happened to be in the oncoming lane at the time I crossed over.
So here's the deal. Sure chances are I might "upgrade" next year but the moral of the story is learn to ride a bike first. That means more than just a couple of weeks out of the dealership. The 500r is fantastic in the twisties, more than enough to have a blast and keep coming for more. Does it feel odd when on the highway and you don't feel like it overtakes fast enough? SUre, but it's a 500. At some point you have to ask yourself what you want really. If you bought this bike thinking it would do all the cool speeds your friends with 600+ bikes are doing then quite frankly you probably shouldn't be thinking of getting something bigger just yet. I don't mean to patronize by the way, just making sure you understand the implications. Your life is worth more than a cheap thrill on a bigger bike. That being said, only you know the limits of your self-control
cheers and safe riding my friend
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM

Here is something you can do.

Go to YouTube and look up Schaaf. He rides an old cb500. They have slightly more power than the new version but you can watch this guy beat up on much more powerful bikes all day long though that's not his intention. He just likes to have fun.
It's not the bike...

I found his site while researching the new cb500 line. Here's his latest video.
https://youtu.be/Bce5EFFZ2vo
Owlman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page