Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

New Rebel 500 ...

25K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  Scoot 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
It is being discussed on the older Honda Rebel fourm, Honda Rebel 125 250 450 ? Index page, but they aren't in love with the styling.

However, a large number of folk have been trying to keep their Rebel 450's running with limited success (cdi no longer available, etc.). There may well be a market for this bike. For those of us with very short legs, it looks viable, but I would sure rather have the CB500F wheels and tires for a street bike. {I did post the link to the 500F on the Rebel web site}

#5 ·
Cool that Honda would try something different.

But the downward slope of that gas tank has me not feeling the love of this bike design.

Cheers,

Snade

Reactions: GreenMac
#9 ·
Since you're looking for opinions I'll offer mine....No thanks. No cruisers here. We are MotoGP wannabes and will accept no others.
Although.....the brochure says it's got "transistorized ignition" :honda.

Well why didn't you say so from the beginning? Come on by, let's sit around and see who's got the shiniest chrome.
:kiss:

#10 · (Edited)
Just saw it here: 2017 Honda Rebel 300 and 500 First Look Review | Cycle World

I kind of like it. Not too sure about the styling, but if you scroll down on the page, you'll see some nice customized ones.

The 500's got the same motor, but tuned differently for more torque. The front of the tank sits a little high, and it would have been better with a 17 or 18" dia. front wheel, but overall, it's not too bad.

Edit: slept on it. I think this bike has potential. It's very close to what I've been looking for in my next bike.

#13 ·
I'm getting up there in age, and not a big guy.
I've ridden Sportsters for the last 25 years, but sold the last one this year.

While I want my next bike to retain a low seat height, I'd also like it to be lighter.

The road tests I've read show the CB500 range to have
about the same performance specs as the 883 Sportster. That's enough for my uses.
The CB's do rev higher at all speeds, but I guess that's the trade-off for having a smaller displacement and more modern engine.

The other Japanese manufacturers do make cruiser type bikes, but the closest displacement is usually 650 vs. the 500 CB.
I'd be fine with a 650, if it were at the same weight and price as the Honda 500, but I doubt that would ever happen.

I was considering getting a cb500f and chopping it up a bit,
but this new 500 Rebel came out of left field with most of the work already done.

Looking forward to seeing one in person, but I think it's going to be a while for that.

#14 ·
The 500 cruiser is 408 lbs wet weight. The Kawasaki 650 cruiser is 498 lbs wet weight which isn't bad. It's probably got dual disks up front and a larger tank.
The 650 costs more than the 500 but it's more bike. Certainly more power. Maybe better looking. I had a Versys 650 and the weight was never a problem and it was much taller.
Both the 500 and 650 cruisers have the same low seat height.
The Kawi has been out longer so you can buy used or get a deal on a leftover.
Either way I'd demo them first. It's tough having to choose a bike :smile:.

#15 · (Edited)
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Z650-ABS

This new Kawasaki's not a cruiser, but I like it. A bit more money, but like you say, it's got a bit more of everything.
412 lbs and 31" seat height. The Yam. FZ-07 I test rode was about that, and I liked a lot about it.

I'm all over the board here.
Simplest choice would be to stick with what I know - Sportster.
I like the new Roadster model, 2017 Roadster Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson USA
but I think I'm ready to try something different, and that one's a stupid amount of money and heavy as a dog.
Just thinking out loud here.

#18 ·
I don't know where you live but you may have the whole winter to think about it. At 412 pounds that Kawi will move out pretty darn good. It's a reliable engine. Kawasaki put a lot of development into it. It is unique in that it has a cassette style gear box, MotoGP style, it can be removed from the motor without splitting the case, if that matters.
It gets good gas mileage as well and has great low end torque.
I haven't seen that bike yet but I'll bet it's Kawasakis shot across the bow of the FZ07.
Interesting. If you demo it, post up. The Kawis can be exciting.

#16 ·
The Japanese are so predictable!
Not long after Kawasaki came out with the sport cruiser using the 650 twin engine, I thought that Honda couldn't be far behind.
Honda matched Kawasaki's bikes step by step, first the three 250cc models, then the three 500cc models, a naked, a faired and an adventure version. This is obvious because there are not many other bikes available here.
I already predicted that Honda would come out with a sport cruiser using the 471cc engine, not only because they had to follow in Kawasaki's footsteps but also because this long-stroke, relatively low-revving, torquey engine woud be good in a cruiser-type application.
Personally I'd be happy to see this engine in a supermoto, something along the lines of a Duke or Aprilia's Shiver, but I guess cruisers are a safer bet. And it's easier to copy what the competition did...

#17 ·
#19 ·
^ The Z650 looks at first like the ER6n, the naked version of the Ninja.

Different frame and swing arm, and who knows what else, it's in direct competition to the naked Ninja.

Has the ER6n been replaced?

The Harley Sportster looks like it was pulled out of a ditch after it rolled over a few times, front and rear parts missing.

Maybe I'm getting old... :)

#20 · (Edited)
^ The Z650 looks at first like the ER6n, the naked version of the Ninja.
Has the ER6n been replaced?
Yes.
2017 is (the start of) a major update for Kawi 650 series.
New frame, swingarm, rear shock design, updated engine, gearbox (slipper clutch), display/meter, less weight, Euro 4 (less power, more torque), better fuel consumption, etc.
Waiting for reviews ...

#23 ·
Kawasaki has put a lot of effort in that motor. It is reliable and puts out good power.
I wouldn't compare the Japs with Harley.
Harley just adds or takes away chrome to change a model. I have friends with HD's and I still can't tell the difference between the models.

#47 ·
My old scrambler was just the road bike with different pipes.
Ya - it would have to have high side pipes, a full length flat seat, dual rear shocks, a straight back rear frame instead of the rear end being jacked up high, probably some mild dual sport tires in the right sizes, dirt track style handlebars, and so on.

A CB500 Scrambler would be pretty cool, indeed.
Concept 500 scrambler built by a company in California for Honda. This bike is going into production from the article I read last night. It's using a 2016 CBR600RR 41mm front end.
It seems Honda wants to use the CBR300 and CBR500 platform in many motorcycle variants for people of various tastes(platform sharing as its known). A few cafe racer drawings have been leaked.

Scoop from reliable Japanese magazines who get the leaks in advance and somewhat accurately(8/10 times)

The CB300 TT model that was showcased last year in Hong Kong:

And some leaked CAD drawings from Honda R&D Japan:

They're expected to be showcased in the second half of 2017 or early 2018.

#26 ·
My old scrambler was just the road bike with different pipes.

Attachments

Reactions: Thump
#27 ·
Ya - it would have to have high side pipes, a full length flat seat, dual rear shocks, a straight back rear frame instead of the rear end being jacked up high, probably some mild dual sport tires in the right sizes, dirt track style handlebars, and so on.

A CB500 Scrambler would be pretty cool, indeed.

#28 ·
I was thinking of something like this, it's a concept for the Asian market, based on the CBR150R.

A bigger version with the 471cc twin in that trellis frame, with a kewl underseat exhaust, USD forks with some real travel, supermoto style...

The single-sided swing arm is definitely sexy but may make the bike too expensive.

Attachments

#30 ·
That is a great concept for a 471cc twin. The swing arm rear suspension and underseat exhaust are upgrades I would be willing to pay-up for.

Maybe Honda is listening. :wink:

Cheers,

Snade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.