Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Has anyone put the 2016 adjustable brake lever on an older model yet?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  GlenAnderson 
#1 ·
After my last track day on Halloween, I have decided I wanted to move the brake lever in a little closer to the bar to make it easier to blip the throttle on downshifts while braking at the same time. I'm good with the clutch side and wanted something of higher quality than the Chinese sets. I can get the '16 OEM brake lever for $60.35 and it would match the clutch side I have now.

Has anyone done this yet? I researched and someone said the master cylinder is the same so it should in theory fit. Just checking before I pull the trigger.

#2 ·
Ok I ordered the 2016 CBR500R's OEM adjustable brake lever for the bargain price of $53.63 usd, plus tax (8.25%). It comes in Tuesday and I will let you know how it worked out going on my 2014.

#3 ·
I guess you're answering your own question.

I wish I had seen this post earlier. There are a few threads on eBay levers.
Mine is entitled "Necessary Bling".

I feel the same way as you about Chinese made stuff but after reading about the levers I bought a set. The quality blows away what Honda has put on the bike as stock.
For sure the adjustability will make a difference as the stockers are a little too far from the grip. This is one area Honda shouldn't have skimped. What did they save per bike? 25 cents?

#4 ·
@blipco: I guess the cost to the Honda dealer was low $40's or around $40, Honda's cost is $20, so the answer is around $20 they saved maybe.
I did this because it will match my clutch I have, and I'm fine with the clutch side as far as reach, and I won't have to worry about quality and service life. If it fits, it will look like it came there from the factory.

#5 ·
I think I paid less than $30 shipped. And they were of scarily high quality.
I gave extensive details about what I did. I moved my bushing over from my stock clutch lever to the aftermarket ones. Prolly not necessary but that's just me. It was easy.
The shape of the shorty levers tends to seem like you need less pressure at the lever. Either way you'll be happy with the adjustments.

#6 ·
The Chinese levers I have are nice. The stock levers are too soft and they're huge. I paid under $30 for the set and I'm super happy with them. I realize you've already ordered the '16 lever, but I thought I'd mention it in case you aren't happy with it after you get it. In any case I'm interested to hear your report.

#8 ·
Didn't see this until now, so I guess it's too late. If you want higher quality you could always get a known brand like CRG, ASV or Pazzo. If you don't want to spend that much for those, the Chinese eBay ones work just fine. Not sure what makes you think the OEM's are higher quality because they're really not. The Chinese ones I got for $25 are much better and nicer, plus adjustable. Understand that Honda doesn't make levers, just like they don't make most components in the bike. None of the manufacturers do. The OEM levers are likely also made in China, or Thailand, or Vietnam or some place like that where they can make them for dirt cheap. Plus OEM ones are cast, instead of forged and CNC-machined like the aftermarket ones. Cast = weaker. OEM levers on pretty much any sport bike aside from maybe the high end, special edition expensive ones, are the lowest quality you can get.

Reactions: sonicboom
#9 ·
I've stopped knocking all Chinese stuff, there's a distinct difference within the country these days. There is still 'cheap Chinese' and then there is 'decent Chinese' which is priced accordingly. They've certainly picked up their game in manufacturing standards; as our own bikes - made in Thailand - are testament.
I'm currently running some adjustable levers advertised for "2013-2016 models", from China that were $45+p&h which I feel are actually better quality than the USA brand adjustable-levers.com . These others ones have a nicer red color which hasn't faded at all, the other ones went a pinker colour within a month. Also the adjustable clicker is a lot smoother in its action then the USA ones. So they've got my tick of approval.

#11 ·
It fits just fine. Made in Thailand. It has 5 adjustments and about a .5-1 inch adjustment.

I like it because it matches my stock OEM clutch lever in design, finish and manufacture. It's a decent value for $55 and 2 minutes labor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.