..more powaah!!! - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarrithers View Post
As long as I am riding back roads and around town I never feel like I need more power but once on the highway it's a different story. I find that it has enough power to get to speed but not that extra needed to pull away from traffic. Nothing worse than taking off to get ahead of traffic only to realize a nice lady in her minivan is gaining on you and flies by. Wouldn't be an issue with another 20 or so horses.
....or the guy on the Harley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 AM

I just came down I -80 doing on average 85 mph without any issue passing anything out there. Nice night ride back from a taco run.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
As long as I am riding back roads and around town I never feel like I need more power but once on the highway it's a different story. I find that it has enough power to get to speed but not that extra needed to pull away from traffic. Nothing worse than taking off to get ahead of traffic only to realize a nice lady in her minivan is gaining on you and flies by. Wouldn't be an issue with another 20 or so horses.
What?? If you can't keep up with a minivan on this bike, then you're doing something wrong. May I suggest ROLLING THE THROTTLE! lol
Thump, bamm321 and chzeckmate like this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
....or the guy on the Harley
I wouldn't worry about the guy on the Harley. He's paid $17,000 for the privilege of being able to pass a 500. No matter how far ahead he gets he still loses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
What?? If you can't keep up with a minivan on this bike, then you're doing something wrong. May I suggest ROLLING THE THROTTLE! lol
Yep, that's definitely user error.

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 10k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
I wouldn't worry about the guy on the Harley. He's paid $17,000 for the privilege of being able to pass a 500. No matter how far ahead he gets he still loses.

Yep, that's definitely user error.
In 6th gear at 8600 rpm. She just wanted to drive faster than me and I didn't have much left or much desire to push it farther. Was sorta funny looking to my left as that gold van shot past me. I slowed down. Almost embarrassing that she could keep up but it just is what it is and it's not a fast bike. It's quick out of the hole or at normal speeds but it's not fast.

On the highway, 280+ horsepower minivan = arch nemesis. :-)

Last edited by JCarrithers; 09-16-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
In 6th gear at 8600 rpm. She just wanted to drive faster than me and I didn't have much left or much desire to push it farther. Was sorta funny looking to my left as that gold van shot past me. I slowed down. Almost embarrassing that she could keep up but it just is what it is and it's not a fast bike. It's quick out of the hole or at normal speeds but it's not fast.

On the highway, 280+ horsepower minivan = arch nemesis. :-)
Well then she was just hauling ass and looking for trouble. If you're in 6th gear at 8600 RPM, you're going somewhere around 95-100 mph, which is getting close to top speed. But in acceleration, this bike should have no problem getting ahead of most average vehicles out there....especially minivans!
Thump likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across north america)
2013 CBR500R (race bike)
2009 ZX6R (race bike)
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:49 AM

What's 0-60 on a minivan? Can't be quick.

My car is a 2013 Honda Accord Sport. Great car.
My teenage car crazy nephews came out from California. They know all the specs on Lambos and RS Mustangs and all sorts of exotic cars. I tell them, yeah I know..I have a sports car.
They go up one side of me then down the other. They say, Uncle Mark..this isn't a sports car.
I say, yes it is, it says so on the trunk LOL.
They say, what's the 0-60 time?
I say, I don't know but it's fast.
So we did a 0-60 run and they timed it.
0-60 with three of us on board was something like 11 seconds. LOL.

But it gets great MPG I tell them. At least they are impressed with that.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
In 6th gear at 8600 rpm.
At that rpm you would've been at around 110 mph and there wouldn't be much left. There aren't many minivans that can get up that high. The Honda Odyssey can get up to around 118 without mods. I hope the driver of that van doesn't drive around like that with kids in there. A crash at that speed would turn the van into a blender.

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 10k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chzeckmate View Post
At that rpm you would've been at around 110 mph and there wouldn't be much left. There aren't many minivans that can get up that high. The Honda Odyssey can get up to around 118 without mods. I hope the driver of that van doesn't drive around like that with kids in there. A crash at that speed would turn the van into a blender.
More like 104 with my rear sprocket. Fortunately there were no young ones in the van and she wasn't texting, another plus. See too much of that on the highway these days.

It's not fast but I still love it and doubt it will ever leave the stable. Great bike, just wish it was faster than my car. :-)

Well it is at least for now while the car is in my garage getting the motor and tranny swapped.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 AM

I feel that it needs more power almost everywhere. If it's around town redlight to redlight then sure it's ok, but as soon as I get on a highway or interstate, it's just lacking.

My opinion might be skewed because I am one of those car guys that was discussed earlier. The CB500 is the slowest vehicle I own. That is out of my 2 cars and now 3 motorcycles (including my wife's rides). I feel that needing to keep something in a specific rev range is good for intentional riding (canyons, around town) but when you are on a highway with a car behind you waaay to close and that semi truck to your left starts to merge over into you and your horn isn't doing the trick, it's better if you don't have to think ,downshift twice then go. On my street triple it doesn't matter if I am in 6th and going 60. Twist the throttle I'll be past the truck before it makes it halfway into my lane.

It's the emergency situations I feel power is necessary and it's always been why I DD sports cars. I make lots of blind turns (where visibility is just so poor you can only see down the road 100 feet). I like having power so when I start out into the road and boom there's a car I can get out of the way quickly. No extra thinking just power out of it.

Might not be everyone's opinion but it has worked for me for well over a decade of driving with these crazy cell phone using homicidal drivers who are too busy with their digital lives to focus on driving for more than a minute at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page