Tool kit sponge - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExTex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tool kit sponge

What the heck is it for anyway? I didn't find the helmet lock strap in my kit either, 2016F model. Was the helmet locking strap for the earlier models. All I got was the sponge and allen key.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:38 AM

Garage
Guess the sponge is to wipe your tears... when you really need some tools.

I bought some chain and a small padlock to chain my helmet to the handlebar clamp or the foot peg mount.
Works well. I did find some plastic tubing to cover the chain to protect the paint.

ride safely,
timp trail rider likes this.

ExTex, Ark. ABATE 20 webmaster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Honda CB500FA (Red/White)
1989 Honda Interceptor 250 (Red/White/Blue)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Garage
Not sure why the American models don't get the tools. That just makes no sense. Here in Canada my kit includes everything but the kitchen sink. Do the folks in the USA at least get the shock adjustment wrench?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

* 2014 HONDA CB500FA
* 2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM

CB300F mirrors, R&G sliders, The2Wheels levers, SupaBrake-II, SJCAM SJ4000 camera, Cortech Super 2.0 tail bag, Oxford paddock stands, Nelson-Rigg cover, Erickson tie-down straps, Taylor33 rim tape, Grip Puppies, kickstand foot, digital thermometer, cable lock, Battery Tender Junior, QDC harness, USB phone charger, Icon gloves, Helmet Hooker, Xelement leather jacket, NexGen boots, HJC CL-17 helmet, chin curtain, dark smoke visor, Pinlock insert

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Not sure why the American models don't get the tools. That just makes no sense. Here in Canada my kit includes everything but the kitchen sink. Do the folks in the USA at least get the shock adjustment wrench?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Nope. Had to buy the shock tool for my 2013 F.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 AM

Helmet strap and allen key is all we get in the US. No HISS either

I got a braided wire lock from the dollar store. Has plastic tubing and a spare key. Works great!

Male, 43yrs, 185lbs, 5'8", '14 CBR500R (RWB color), 7k miles, Dunlop D222's, Rotella T6 (every 2k), KN-204 oil filter, 87 Octane, Maxima Chain Wax, Fork Preload adjusters, T-Rex spools, Stainless radiator guard, Shorty adjustable levers, Fork stem RAM mount/USB port, red/black alum grips, Rear tire hugger, Rear seat cowl, Black light (UV) LED engine/undertail lights w/RF remote, Ultra-white LED position light, Plain white Rascal Graphik tank pad, Sea level, city commuter, spirited rider
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Honda are probably scared to provide Americans with tools, because if they use those tools to adjust or fix something and they do it wrong and get killed, they will sue Honda for enabling them to make those repairs without being qualified to do so.....

other countries who dont sue everyone for everything get to have tools....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 PM

My theory is this. I think the sponge is in there to give the appearance that you are getting tools. Kinda like when you buy a carry bag or backpack, they stuff it with paper so it looks like something on the store's shelf.

I removed the about useless helmet cable but kept the sponge so my hex wrench and fuse puller doesn't rattle out.

You guys did notice the fuse puller, right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The sponge must be to keep the fuse puller and hex wrench from falling out.

I remember on the old Honda bikes they gave you a darn nice little tool kit, which I always found very useful. You had everything to at least adjust the rear shocks, adjust the chain, tighten up anything that would get loose along the way

I can't imagine those cheap tools would cost very much at all when spread out across a bunch of bikes. Probably more to do with some CEO's multi million dollar bonus plan if anything.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Garage
I contacted Honda AU re the tool kit anomaly and here is their reply:

"Why Certain products vary from country to country.

There are a number of factors involved in determining our model line-up and accessories, such as production costs, product availability, exchange rates and modification requirements for our market and most importantly meeting the Australian Design Compliance (ADR).

We also review feedback from our future and existing customer base and also market trends obtained from our dealer network."

So that certainly clears that one up...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM

I can use the sponge to clean up my leaky water pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page